Your Top 3 Famous Five Books?

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Re: Your Top 3 Famous Five Books?

Post by Chrissie777 »

dsr wrote: 06 Nov 2022, 00:18 I always liked "Secret Trail" and "Finniston Farm", neither of which generally get high ratings. Both have twins in them, which may be the reason. I was always a sucker for twins books.

One of the best novels about twins was "Deceptions" and (the even better) sequel "A Tangled Web" by Judith Michael.
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Bertie wrote: 10 Jan 2023, 16:29 Chrissie, Mr Luffy is in Five Go Off To Camp.
He's the (absent minded) teacher from Julian and Dick's school who is into Butterfly / Beatle collecting, and he takes the children camping with him during that holiday.

Thanks, Bertie. That explains why I don't remember him. I haven't read "Camp" in many decades, I never liked it (and "Caravan" neither).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

I'm not a big fan of 'Caravan' either, Chrissie. It's my least favourite of the very strong first 8 FF books. The story itself is OK, but not as strong as the other early ones. And I hate reading about the cruelty to Pongo and Barker.
But I really enjoy reading 'Five Go Off To Camp'. Jock and Mr Luffy are two good characters. And it's one of the funnier FF books as well as being quite an interesting mystery.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Caravan and Camp are both excellent to me. The villains in caravan are genuinely nasty and scary which I think imparts a sense of realism to the book. And Camp is classic what with the spook train and the deserted railway yards and the moors.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I like both those books too, especially Five Go Off in a Caravan as everything is so gorgeously dreamy and idyllic in the beginning, only to turn truly terrifying as events unfold. Nobby (I accidentally typed 'Noddy' at first!) is one of my favourite supporting characters in the Famous Five books, and Pongo is perhaps my favourite Famous Five animal.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I see a while ago I declined to give an opinion in this thread because I hadn't read all the Famous Five books... and I still haven't. :shock: But out of the ones I have read, my top 3 would be:

Five on a Treasure Island — absolute classic and a brilliant start to the series

Five Run Away Together — heaps of fun to have another Kirrin Island adventure and the Sticks are among Enid's most memorable baddies!

Five Go Down to the Sea — not as popular in general, I know, but I always absolutely loved Clopper the pantomime horse, especially the part where Julian and Dick get stuck inside him!!

An honourable mention must go to Five Go to Smuggler's Top, as it's unforgettably atmospheric — Block has got to be one of the most sinister villains (in contrast with the Sticks, who are much more played for laughs) and I remember the thought of straying off the path and sinking forever into those marshes terrified me as a child. Five Go Off to Camp has a similar level of creepiness, with the spook trains and the blocked-up tunnel, and I remember it also giving me the chills — in an exciting way, of course — but as an adult, I'm afraid I find it a bit too hard to get my suspension-of-disbelief over the sheer staggering absurdity of the plot. The amount of time it takes to start up a steam engine from cold would make it just about THE most impractical vehicle for transporting smuggled goods, especially over such a short distance. Not to mention that, unlike keeping the goods in farm trucks or sneaking them into the cargo of an ordinary daytime train, the spook train isn't exactly an unobtrusive and easily concealed means of transport!!! :roll: :roll: :roll: :P
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

The amount of time it takes to start up a steam engine from cold would make it just about THE most impractical vehicle for transporting smuggled goods, especially over such a short distance. Not to mention that, unlike keeping the goods in farm trucks or sneaking them into the cargo of an ordinary daytime train, the spook train isn't exactly an unobtrusive and easily concealed means of transport!!!
If they had to use the railway, a class 08 shunter would be ideal.

I must say though, reading the book as a child, I never considered the absurdity of the modus operandi.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thank you Nigel - beautiful picture.
On a good day, with the wind behind him, dear friend John Pickup in many ways reminds me of a class eight shunter!

Powerful, noble, industrious and full of steam...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

I think the 08 shunter entered service in 1953, 5 years after the book appeared. Also if the smugglers had put in an order for a shunter it might have attracted unwanted attention.

What intrigued me was the ventilation shaft that Timmy fell down. Why was there not a mesh or something? They were just inviting people to drop in.
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I always thought the use of the steam engines was much more about scaring the locals and keeping them away than the ease of transporting the goods.

However it would still have been pretty impractical.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Debbie wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 16:54 I always thought the use of the steam engines was much more about scaring the locals and keeping them away than the ease of transporting the goods.
... which has to work on the assumption that all the locals are gormless and superstitious and will be too terrified to investigate a "spook train" on the derelict railway at night, rather than being smart like the Famous Five and realising something must be "up" and going to investigate! :roll: It's just... really not the world's cleverest way to conduct a smuggling operation, even without the sheer impracticalities of running the steam engine.

I should add none of this entered my head either as a 6- or 7-year-old reader with zero knowledge of steam railways!! But there are enough "steam buffs" out there, even among youngsters — and probably even more so back when the majority of railways were steam powered — that I would now think, surely when the book was first written, at least some of Enid's audience would have realised she clearly had no idea about steam engines... :shock:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

Splodj wrote: 12 Jan 2023, 11:54 What intrigued me was the ventilation shaft that Timmy fell down. Why was there not a mesh or something? They were just inviting people to drop in.
There were iron bars but it seems that they weren't checked so it wasn't noticed that these ones were broken.
George tugged at the tufts of heather, and then suddenly she saw what the curious mound was. It was a built-up vent-hole for the old tunnel - a place where the smoke came curling out in the days when trains ran there often. It had been barred across with iron, but the bars had rusted and fallen in, and heather had grown thickly over them.
Society Member
Splodj

Post by Splodj »

There were iron bars but it seems that they weren't checked
Thanks for that. Sounds like they didn't have a very good track maintenance team!
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

They probably didn't think of the vents after the train lines were closed.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

In reality, the track would have been lifted very soon after line-closure, the tunnel portals and the vents sealed.
Society Member