Least favorite Enid Blyton book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Adventure

Re: Least favorite Enid Blyton book

Post by Adventure »

I've not read all of EB's books, but out of what I've read I don't like the S7 much. Never managed to remember the titles.
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Re:

Post by manzanita »

Stephen wrote: On the other hand, I DID like Mr Meddle who could be riotously funny. Remember that time he sneaked out in the fog against Aunt Jemima's orders, got lost, knocked on a random door to ask for directions as to where he lived and was promptly boxed on the ears by his Aunt Jemima who said "Yes! You live here!"? I loved that bit!
Although I found reading "Don't Be Silly Mr Twiddle!" repetitive when read in one go, it was pretty funny in parts! I loved the confusion where he's told to get bulbs for the kitchen and actually comes back with daffodil bulbs not light bulbs!

Lol, I had a Mr Twiddle moment myself the other day! I use genesreunited for family tree tracing and I sent a message to some chap saying something along the lines of "I think we have a connection as we share this same relative". The message came back with "Yes, we do have a connection. I'm your father. Dad". I didn't even know he was on there! In hindsight, it's bloody obvious that it was Daddy dearest, but I bet the look on my face was a picture!

But back to the question... when younger I found Mr Pink Whistle rather unbelievable and I also didn't like some of the brownie-type stories. As an aged 28-year-old, my biggest dislike is "The Children of Cherry Tree Farm" by far.

Manzy

Manzy
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's really interesting, because, when I was 28 or 29 one of my least favourite Blyton books would have been Cherry tree Farm, too, but now I'm an even more ancient 36 I have started to warm to it!

I think my favourites and least favourites have probably changed over the years. One of the only Blyton books I ever read in one sitting was 'More Adventures on Willow Farm', when I was about 10. I read it more recently and found it less interesting than I remembered (though I wouldnt say I exactly disliked it). The Adventure series was my least favourite series by a long chalk when I was 9, 10, 11 - but now I find it to be one of the better ones! :D
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

I've never read an EB book that I actively disliked, but Five Go to Billycock Hill didn't do a lot for me. There's very little decent adventure in it, although I think it was that book that taught me the difference between stalagmites and stalagtites! (Sometimes Enid the teacher comes through in her books.) It had some OK moments, but it would probably currently rank as my least favourite EB book, and certainly the least favourite FF one.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Mollybob
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure, Five On a Treasure Island
Favourite character: Philip, George

Post by Mollybob »

The Secret Seven series has to be my least favourite too. I never enjoyed the books as much as the Adventure and Famous Five series as a child, and still haven't really warmed to them.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I must admit that as a child I enjoyed secret seven books, probably because they were the ones i could most easily identify with: being set in an urban setting, and being about children who attended a 'day school' rather than a boarding school. I particularly liked the autumn-set adventures for their great atmosphere.
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

RDMorrell wrote:I've never read an EB book that I actively disliked, but Five Go to Billycock Hill didn't do a lot for me. There's very little decent adventure in it, although I think it was that book that taught me the difference between stalagmites and stalagtites! (Sometimes Enid the teacher comes through in her books.) It had some OK moments, but it would probably currently rank as my least favourite EB book, and certainly the least favourite FF one.
That one I remember liking as a child, and likewise with stalagtites/mites! Looking back, I remember it being an odd one, just seemed to have a different atmosphere and I think I found it creepy, although I cannot remember any specific reason why!

Enid and her teaching is what puts me off "Cherry Tree Farm". I commented in the "Cherry Tree Farm" thread so won't rehash it here!

Manzy
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

To be honest my least favorite EB books are probably the Secret Sevens. Although I do enjoy reading them, but I'm not that satisfied with them. The characters seem rather undeveloped and plots in most books are almost the same... :oops: :cry:
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I learned about Stalagmittes and Stalagtites from The Valley of Adventure. Like some others I found ....Billycock Hill to be one of the least interesting Famous Five books. My least favourite book is probably The Mystery that never was. A late work by Blyton it just does'nt match up to her classic series'.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

I'm afraid I haven't read The Mystery That Never was but I saw its review on Keith's webbie. Anyways, I would at least like to get my hands on it.

My least favorite F5 books is probably Five Are Together Again... :D
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I agree with Lucky Star, The Mystery That Never Was, was not a very good Blyton Book.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I rather enjoyed "The mystery that never was", although I haven't read it recently. "Fun for the Secret Seven" is my least favourite, Enid's illness shows in that book, it is rambling and confused.
hobbes
Favourite book/series: The Adventure series. The Famous Five. The Secret
Favourite character: Dick, Bill Smugs

Post by hobbes »

I always differentiate between the junior books- fairies and brownies, Noddy and the secret seven and the ones for older children. Although i loved the fantasy ones as a child i wouldn't reread them now and it seems unfair to pick them as my least favourite because i have outgrown them.

Therefore i am going to be shocking and pick one of the Adventure series as my least favourite.

Yes I know the Adventure series is the best set of books she wrote. They are the ones i read the most often.

Yes I agree that some of the later famous five were feeble.

And i must confess to not really liking Fatty that much. In fact he irritates me.

But The Mountain of adventure is just pants. Sorry. I know some of you love it but the plot is absolute nonsense, the black character is dodgy even by Enid's standards, the welsh come across pretty poorly. I know we have to suspend belief many times to thoroughly enjoy a good Adventure book but this one tested my limits!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Mountain is generally acknowledged around here to be the weakest of the Adventure series. I must say that I found the atmosphere inside the mountain to be excellent, very James Bondish. The book was a lot better than I remembered when I gave it a re-read a couple of years ago. But you are correct that the plot is outlandish, in this, more than any other Blyton I can think of, we have to seriously suspend disbelief.

I would'nt call it "pants" though. :lol: I still think it knocks the socks off eg; Five on a Secret Trail or The Mystery of Banshee Towers.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
hobbes
Favourite book/series: The Adventure series. The Famous Five. The Secret
Favourite character: Dick, Bill Smugs

Post by hobbes »

Lucky Star wrote:Mountain is generally acknowledged around here to be the weakest of the Adventure series. I must say that I found the atmosphere inside the mountain to be excellent, very James Bondish. The book was a lot better than I remembered when I gave it a re-read a couple of years ago. But you are correct that the plot is outlandish, in this, more than any other Blyton I can think of, we have to seriously suspend disbelief.

I would'nt call it "pants" though. :lol: I still think it knocks the socks off eg; Five on a Secret Trail or The Mystery of Banshee Towers.

Oh absolutely. Secret trail is definately the poorest. Why they selected that book and finiston for the CD dramatisations i will never understand.

But I think because the Adventure books are just so brilliant, that this weak link really irks!!