Identifying with Characters

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Identifying with Characters

Post by Rob Houghton »

Just thought I'd mention one of my favourite 'series' for younger children, about the family at Happy House.

Although not much ever really happened, I aways loved these stories as a child. I first encountered them in the versions 'stuck' into the backs of the Deans versions of 'Happy Hours Stories' etc, and I read them and re-read them.

part of the reason for this has to do with the fact that of all EB's stories, these were ones with which I could easily identify. I had an elder sister, and I had a toy monkey like Benjy. I also identified with the 'family feeling' in these books, and the little squabbles of every day life.

Did anyone else feel they identified with other Blyton books or characters? I'm interested to know, because Enid is often criticized for using characters and situations that are 'too upper class' for the average person to identify with. I had no problem identifying even with the children who had maids and Nanny's - (and I assure you I am distinctly 'ordinary'!)

Its the very fact that I could always identify with and sypathise with her characters that made me such a fan.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Identifying with Characters

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I envied those "Happy House" children because they had a stream running through their garden. Lucky things!

I always identified with the "of Adventure" characters most. Not because I was allowed to go sailing off to remote islands or trekking in the mountains at the drop of a hat, but because that's what I would have liked to do if I'd had the chance. I felt closest to Jack Trent, who comes across as something of a loner and a dreamer. In The Island of Adventure, I could empathise fully with his longing to find a Great Auk against the odds. As a student, I finally got the chance to "go off adventuring" by going on several Inter-Railing trips round Europe. I felt like a real adventurer when I visited the Greek islands, or hiked through valleys full of waterfalls in Norway. The only thing missing was a gang of crooks with scarred cheeks, thick necks and eyes set too close together!

Anita
gareth jones
Favourite book/series: ADVENTURE SERIES
Favourite character: JACK TRENT

Identifying with charactors.

Post by gareth jones »

Hi Anita.
Like yourself i identify myself with the adventure series. Jack is also my favourite charactor. His love of the countryside and all wildlife.
If i could transport myself into any book and share in any adventure it would be the Sea of Adventure. Two heavenly weeks sailing amongs the Scottish islands with Bill Smugs and the gang. I'm off to Norway in a couple weeks cruising the fjords.
We're going to Stavanger- Bergen- Olden and Alesund have you any imput into any must see landmarks.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Norway/The Sea of Adventure

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Hi Gareth,

A bit off-topic, but the landscape of Norway is so "Blytonian"! I went to Norway in 1990 but the only cruise I did was a half-day mini-cruise along Stavanger fjord, which was beautiful. Most of my time was spent in the mountainous area between Oslo and Bergen, and the highlight of my trip was a 12-mile hike down the mountain and through the valley from Myrdal to Flam. I went alone and just enjoyed ambling along and drinking in the spectacular scenery - craggy mountains, scores of waterfalls, turquoise rivers, stunted trees, carpets of wild flowers and the occasional wooden house. I hardly saw a soul all day and I felt like a real explorer, I can tell you!

I also enjoyed visiting the various boat museums on the island of Bygdoy, just off Oslo, and the Munch Museum, and the wonderful sculptures in Vigeland Park (in Oslo).

The Sea of Adventure is my second favourite Adventure book after Valley, because Blyton is at her best in her descriptions of the seabirds, and the islands, and the sunlight on the sea. It sounds idyllic.

Enjoy your cruise in a couple of weeks, and let us know how it went!

Anita

Post by Guest »

I too identified strongly with many of the Blyton characters.

Philip was one because he had such an interest in animals and in my flights of fantasy I was blessed with the empathic talents that he displayed in all of the adventures.
Moonraker

Re: Norway/The Sea of Adventure

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Hi Gareth,

The Sea of Adventure is my second favourite Adventure book after Valley, because Blyton is at her best in her descriptions of the seabirds, and the islands, and the sunlight on the sea. It sounds idyllic.

Anita
How I agree. Enid seemed to have different "heads" on when writing. The descriptions in the "Adventure..." series are without doubt, the most vivid and descriptive. That cannot be said about Noddy!
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I thought I would revive this thread that Rob started so long ago. Like Anita, I tended to identify myself with Jack in the Adventure books as I share an interest in birds but mostly I identified myself with Peter, the leader of the Secret Seven.
This stemmed from when I was at primary school and lived in an Avenue where I played with three other boys who lived there. As I was the oldest I tended to be the leader and modelled myself on Peter although I hope I wasn't as bossy as him. We pretended to have adventures but mostly we ended up trainspotting on the nearby station. Steam trains in those days!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Most interesting John. I'm sure you weren't as bossy as Peter!

I identify with Snubby, Dick Kirrin, Tom (Adventurous Four), and Susie.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I identified with Anne/Lucy-Ann.

I would have loved a close group to go round and camp etc with but wouldn't have been that keen on the adventurous side. I did enjoy reading about it though. :D
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I think I identified with Lotta (from the Galliano books) as the character I most wanted to be like — bold, adventurous, always ready to go on a daring rescue mission, and a much nicer and less sulky and self-centred person than George Kirrin. But I always knew deep down that if a real adventure actually happened, I'd most likely turn into the Anne of the party. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Isn't going to to a foreign country and making a living there a big adventure?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Yes, but so far it hasn't involved any thieves, spies, kidnappings, secret codes, mysterious scientific experiments, hidden passages, long-lost treasure and/or super-intelligent canine companions... despite what my Blyton-laden upbringing would have had me believe about Britain. :roll: :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

Bearing in mind I'm the eldest sibling, I'd still identify with Dick - simply because he wasn't Julian! I really couldn't see myself as "grown up" or a leader.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

And considering I was a boy and Malory Towers was all girls, due to Enid's brilliant characterizations, there were many different, identifiable personalities. I was definitely Darrell - at least at the start. Meaning to do well, respecting the teachers, not wanting to let my parents down, thrilled to have a very popular person as a best friend, but realising deep down that it might not be a good idea and that the quiet one would probably be better.

Come to think of it, everyone else in my class probably saw me as Irene, the scatter-brained clever clogs! :)
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Just so long as you weren't Zerelda Brass. :lol: :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member