Sheds - as in SS and FFO

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Sheds - as in SS and FFO

Post by jen »

What is it with sheds?! My daughter and I moved into our new house in October and because its a new-build and its been winter we haven't been out in the garden much......let the grass seed grow etc.

Now its nice we've been out a lot more and my daughter immediately announced that the shed is her, that its private and that I must keep out - all this said with hands on hips lol

THing is, she's only 5 so I haven't started her on SS or Find Outers yet so where does this obsession come from? DO all kids do it? And how do I get my shed back?! I had thought I might buy a lawn mower and keep it in there but thats a non-starter at the moment!!

Anyone else's kids do this? Or did anyone else do this as a kid?! Come on, fess!
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

To my amazement, my sister has bought my nephew a shed / play house. It was secondhand and a bargain, but he is still only 26 months!

best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Ha! My sister just bought her twenty month old daughter a play house!

And the awful thing is, I bid on ebay for it for her and I remember thinking 'oooh! I'd so love one of those for myself!'.

I think human beings have an innate love of feeling safe and snug in enclosed spaces - tents, sheds, playhouses, whatever. Maybe it goes back to when we were in the womb (ooh! Moose is getting all psychoanalytical!).
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
peppermint peppy

Post by peppermint peppy »

There is nothing to fess up!
We climbed about in the trees as we were young and built tree houses.
I think that's normal in this age to tinker with caves ,sheds ,tree houses and so on.

Your daughter is o.k.- :lol: Jen be happy she didn't squat your house and isn't demanding a racking rent of you now.
Perky girls exact one's toll! C'est la vie!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moose wrote:I think human beings have an innate love of feeling safe and snug in enclosed spaces - tents, sheds, playhouses, whatever. Maybe it goes back to when we were in the womb (ooh! Moose is getting all psychoanalytical!).

You are right, Moose. I still adore sheds. I even have SS painted on mine! I often sit in it, reading and drinking......

Not sure about the womb though, I don't think I want to go back there!
Society Member
HeatherS
Favourite book/series: Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by HeatherS »

I think children like sheds for the same reason they like to make cubby houses out of blankets and chairs, and later decorating their bedrooms. They love the feeling that they have a special place where they are in control and they can hang "KEEP OUT" signs for anybody unwelcome, especially parents! They crave that tiny bit of independence.
Heather
"Have you held your breath in wonder, at the sky so dark and deep?" - Enid Blyton
http://www.heathersblytonpages.com/
Nicky

Post by Nicky »

i rember when i was younger...not that long ago!! i had a littleshed/playhouse. when my mum sold it i couldn't stand without it. but then we(me and my sister) got a huge shed to play in.

nicky
MADDIE BRING HER HOME SAFE AND SOUND!!!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nicky wrote:i rember when i was younger...not that long ago!! i had a littleshed/playhouse. when my mum sold it i couldn't stand without it. but then we(me and my sister) got a huge shed to play in.

nicky
Good to see you've repaired your keyboard, and it's not all capitals now.

Only thing is, you appear to be writing in lower case characters now. Maybe you repaired it too well? :wink:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Perhaps Nicky should get the keyboard wrong again, fix it up properly, test it, open up the keys if it's still wrong, clean them up a bit, tweak with them, set them back, try again, if not, repeat the process and then post in proper cases? :D

Or how about just turning on the caps lock and type while pressing "shift"? :D

Society Member
charmstar
Favourite book/series: R Mysteries, Finder-Outer Mysteries
Favourite character: Barney

Re: Sheds - as in SS and FFO

Post by charmstar »

I ALWAYS wanted a shed of my own, my father would never let me have one. I saw it as being my own little place I could have my things, hang curtains and do my own thing, also somewhere to have best pals to. Never happened sadly :-(
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

When I was young we had a shed in our garden, which always had gardening tools in it. Then we got a bigger shed, and the old shed became our toy shed. In the summer we often emptied out the toy shed and made it a den...... but of course we had to put all the toys back at the end of the day.

Sounds pretty normal so far?

Well, the shed was about 2 feet by 2 feet, and six feet high, much more the proportions of a phone box than a shed. We couldn't both get in if the door was closed!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
auscatherine

Post by auscatherine »

Have you introduced her to the Wishing Chair yet, Jen. Those kids have their own playroom set away from the house (where the chair is kept and where Chinky (sp?) sleeps).
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

We had a playroom/study room in our house when we were young. But a couple of years ago, my parents decided to renovate our house and I and my brother got our own rooms. We do have a shed and it is at the bottom of the garden (like in the books) but it is used to park the car and other vehicles and also to store old stuff.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
Jen-Jen
Favourite book/series: The Boy Next Door
Favourite character: Fatty, George, Barney and Darrell

Post by Jen-Jen »

Our shed is filled with dad's tools, so we never used it as our base. Instead we made our secret place in my brother's wardrobe. Somehow we managed to fit two little blue chairs, a table and all our secret spy stuff in there, along with the chest of drawers and boxes that were already in there. My sister, brother and I used to squeeze ourselves in there and to keep it really secret we could drape the hanging clothes over us and close the door. Mum never knew!! Looking at the space now it's almost impossible to imagine - it looks sooo tiny!!!
"I should think that if it came to pushing, Eunice might send old Fatty flying" - Larry The Mystery of the Missing Man
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Post by manzanita »

I don't ever remember having the shed love - sheds to me always had big spiders in them! I was more of a den in the hedgerow sort of child!