Children of a different social class

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Re: Children of a different social class

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I wonder whether it is because so many words that have black or dark are associated with bad or sad things, like blackmail as you say, blacklisted, even on the black market. In fact I can't think of any words with black that are associated with good or happy things although I am sure there are. There are other colours like yellow skin and in fact yellow skin was used as a term for cowardly although I daresay this is not acceptable nowadays, but these incidences seem much rarer. But I would like to think that the reason dark and black is associated with bad and sad things is because absence of light, eg nighttime was scary and threatening particularly before electricity. Even today lots of people still get scared at night.
Returning to the original theme of this discussion, the way Enid Blyton treats people like Ern, Tassie etc does jar in our times but we must always remember that this was totally acceptable in her times. I find Agatha Christie's writing (and I love her books) jars far more - the Hollow which was written in 1946 (so similar time) contains a horrible description of a Jewess and this was after the atrocities of the 2nd world war. It is still there in my Kindle version. I quote "the raucous voice of the vitriolic little Jewess " etc etc, For that reason I cannot bear to read it again. Why that has not been edited out and Enid Blyton's far more innocuous statements like gay caravans, queer persons etc etc have Ibeen changed I don't understand. Perhaps because Agatha Christies' books are for adults and so we are supposed to view them with a pinch of salt whereas children might accept the words more literally.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, Agatha Christie did seem anti-semetic at times. I remember it jarring with me when I read certain books of hers for the first time. However, by not reading certain novels won't take the words away, so I don't let it put me off. As with Blyton, when these books were written, sadly different rules applied.

Back on topic, regarding children, Margo Leadbetter (Penelope Keith) certainly looked down on children of a lower class. In one episode she complained about 'children on the council estate' lowering the tone of the neighbourhood in Surbiton!
Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Boatbuilder wrote: After all, the boards that they use magic markers on are known as whiteboards, but do white people claim that is anything to do with racism directed at them? :roll:
Well, they might, but they'd be wrong.
The Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre wrote:REVERSE RACISM IS A MYTH
While assumptions and stereotypes about white people do exist, this is considered racial prejudice, not racism. Racial prejudice refers to a set of discriminatory or derogatory attitudes based on assumptions derived from perceptions about race and/or skin colour. Thus, racial prejudice can indeed be directed at white people (e.g., “White people can’t dance”) but is not considered racism because of the systemic relationship to power. When backed with power, prejudice results in acts of discrimination and oppression against groups or individuals. In Canada, white people hold this cultural power due to Eurocentric modes of thinking, rooted in colonialism, that continue to reproduce and privilege whiteness. It is whiteness that has the power to define the terms of racialized others’ existence. Tim Wise explains how, for white individuals,

“When a group of people [such as racialized individuals] has little or no power over you institutionally, they don’t get to define the terms of your existence, they can’t limit your opportunities, and you needn’t worry much about the use of a slur to describe you and yours, since, in all likelihood, the slur is as far as it’s going to go. What are they going to do next: deny you a bank loan? Yeah, right. … White perceptions are what end up counting in a white-dominated society. If whites say [Indigenous people] are savages (be they of the “noble” or vicious type), then by God, they’ll be seen as savages. If [Indigenous people] say whites are mayonnaise-eating Amway salespeople, who the hell is going to care? If anything, whites will simply turn it into a marketing opportunity. When you have the power, you can afford to be self-deprecating, after all” (2002).
https://www.aclrc.com/myth-of-reverse-racism
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
natalieb

Post by natalieb »

did Enid grow up poor or working class?
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

natalieb wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 13:19 did Enid grow up poor or working class?
I suppose it depends on a person's definition of the above. Personally I would consider her to be very well off, even as a child. I believe she went on a visit to France as a teenager - something that would have been unimaginable for my family of that generation who would have considered it a treat to be able to afford the train fare for a day or two at the local seaside.

I've probably commented on this elsewhere on the forums, but personally I never had a problem reading about the 'posh' children in Enid's books. Talk of cooks, daily cleaners and gardeners were a world away from any life that I experienced growing up - it didn't stop me enjoying the books though.
Society Member
natalieb

Post by natalieb »

i can live with "posh". Poshes being snobs to those who want to escape "their" place is what i cannot stand.

Such as what Janet does to Sheila Naylor: the "daughter of the dustman" attack.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Fiona1986 wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 12:32
The Alberta Civil Liberties Research Centre wrote:REVERSE RACISM IS A MYTH
I too believe that "reverse racism is a myth". Racism is racism, and anyone of any race can be racist. The word "reverse" is redundant.

Regarding Enid Blyton's social class, she grew up in a middle-class family with private education, a maid, piano lessons, theatre trips and plenty of books. However, the houses that the family lived in in Beckenham were fairly modest - not particularly big or grand.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

natalieb wrote: 13 Apr 2022, 13:19 did Enid grow up poor or working class?
You could do worse than read this enlightening biography on Enid's life, on our wonderful website, by Anita.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for linking to it, Nigel!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is always worth while reminding our newer friends that there is more to the Society website than the forums!
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

I too find it puzzling why Ern.is made to sleep in the shed,in Strange Messages, he has.his meals in the kitchen
What is more surprising in Hidden house, when Ern goes to Pip's house where the other find outers are, Bets, who was watching from the playroom window tells Ern' " Dont go to the front door. Come in the garden door at the side of the house and wipe your feet for goodness sake" I felt it was quite rude that too coming from Bets-- and Ern loved them all.Again when.Ern.forgot to take off his cap when he saw pip's mother, Mrs.Hilton-- she says curtly" please take your cap off .where are your manners?" Poor Ern!! I wonder why Enid Blyton slipped in this-- later.I am sure Ern would have been Fattys right hand-- though I dont want them to grow up--.but remain.as they are forever. In the Five books too, Ragamuffin Jo eats in the kitchen with Joanna, the cook-- But that at least is understandable ad Jo is really a ragamuffin.Barney too had access onlt to the bsck door until he discovererd his father and became a class person.as his father was affluent.
Silky moon
Favourite book/series: Five Go Off In A Caravan
Favourite character: Moon Face

Post by Silky moon »

I think we have to remember that it is a different era. Times change. I don’t care what people’s background are, whether they have money or not, it’s about the person. I did find the treatment of Sheila Naylor galling, one of the few times I’ve cringed, but the treatment of “ Saint Catherine” was far worse
I refuse to read censored Enid Blyton books
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I think those things with Ern, it's as much because he's a child. The children wouldn't have gone to the front door-that would have been for smart visitors, taking cap off indoors would be good manners for all of them, and I think Bets' saying "wipe your feet" is more telling about the strictness of her parents. It's the first time Ern's been there I think so just childish giving instructions rather than being superior about it. I can remember going to friends' houses and being told by them "for goodness sake don't...." because it was a family rule that was strictly kept to. Bets was trying to make sure Ern didn't make a mistake that might have got him told off for.

Perhaps the not taking the cap off was a hint as to him being a bit flustered in being in this "posh" house and forgetting to do something that would normally have been automatically done.
The only thing with the not going to the front door, actually I wouldn't have expected Ern to do that anyway.

I think sleeping in the shed Ern was more comfortable, because he was happy on his own. There's also the awkwardness of Fatty's parents if Goon did go round and ask where Ern was-if he was actually living in the house it would put them in a difficult position if he demanded to see him.
Jo eating with Joan too may have been more about Jo being more comfortable there than eating with the family.
Nair Snehalatha

You have put the entire thing on a positive note----Debbie-- yes--Bets may have been anxious that Ern would not get into trouble at her home for not wiping his feet --and bringing in all the mud.Ihave thought too thst in Hidden.house--the findouters especially.Fatty was rather going beyond the boundary in their treatment of Ern.-- from the beginning he was indirectly made fun of, was sent after a made up mystery, the rude poem to Goon, the kidnapping of Ern.as mr holland thought he was Fatty.who had gone to Hollands office disguised as Ern
But here again, Blyton brings up the truth of the proverb --A friend in need is a friend indeed-- Fatty himself takes on the job of rescuing Ern.and exposing.mr
Holland's car stealing racket.I think they had just played up with Ern in the begnning for a bit of fun-- and irritating Goon.
Nair Snehalatha

In Tally ho cottage Ern builds a treehouse-- and his cousins, Glad and Liz-- helped to keep a watch over Larkins'cottage though they did not know the real reason.The Find outers too admires Ern's deftness and skill in making the tree house helped by his uncle,mr.whoosh.So in a way.Ern.proved his capabilities.Again in strsnge messages, Ern rescues Fatty from the cupboard where he is dumped by the two men.--and frightens them out of their wits --and lock them in the coal hole into which they fall down.Ern really has a lot of hidden talent in him--.and is brave too, though insife he was shivering with fright-- tjis is real bravery as Fatty says.