Favourite Five Find-Outers book

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...

Your favourite Five Find-Outers book

1. Burnt Cottage
4%
2. Disappearing Cat
2%
3. Secret Room
12%
4. Spiteful Letters
13%
5. Missing Necklace
13%
6. Hidden House
6%
7. Pantomime Cat
8%
8. Invisible Thief
12%
9. Vanished Prince
2%
10. Strange Bundle
6%
11. Holly Lane
1%
12. Tally-Ho Cottage
10%
13. Missing Man
3%
14. Strange Messages
9%
15. Banshee Towers
2%

Total votes: 104

Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Favourite Five Find-Outers book

Post by Daisy »

That's where I think I'll stay too, Nigel!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Sorry! I am really sorry. :oops: I re-read my posts and I think some of it came out sounding a lot more strident than I intended. David, no hard feelings - I hope!

Moonraker, I love all your emoticons!
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

You did seem a little strident at times :wink: but some interesting points have been raised about June and anonymous letters. Discussions like this show how strongly readers feel about Enid Blyton's stories and characters, which is by no means a bad thing!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

70s-child wrote: Moonraker, I love all your emoticons!
I felt the load needed to be lightened somewhat! Seriously, it has been an interesting debate/argument/full-blown row [delete where necessary]. However, I think that constantly quoting others' posts and tearing them to pieces can be a tad intimidating! It somehow feels as if you are back at school, having your carefully written essay put in the shredder! Image

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Tiny fonted non-accusations aside, I feel the same Nigel. I'd have liked to enter the debate and add my points of view, but don't fancy having my opinion picked apart and criticised so I've just sat well back.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ah, we could sit well back together, a beer in each of our hands, gently discussing our love of Enid's books...Image
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Hmm make that a hot chocolate and you may just have yourself a deal!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Fiona1986 wrote:Hmm make that a hot chocolate and you may just have yourself a deal!
Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Much, much funnier! :wink:

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Moonraker wrote:I felt the load needed to be lightened somewhat! Seriously, it has been an interesting debate/argument/full-blown row [delete where necessary]. However, I think that constantly quoting others' posts and tearing them to pieces can be a tad intimidating! It somehow feels as if you are back at school, having your carefully written essay put in the shredder!
As so often before, I find myself in agreement with you Nigel. :)
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

*Orders a new sofa for the Cave - sturdy, high-backed and bullet-proof!* :lol:
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

I'm glad that things on this thread have become more relaxed...it was certainly :) a vigorously conducted debate.
Anita Bensoussane wrote:*Orders a new sofa for the Cave - sturdy, high-backed and bullet-proof!* :lol:
If that's the famous Cave of Books, Anita, you might try talking Tony into installing water-proof doors to keep the worst of the Spring/Autumn tides from floating the books away.....something the size of the River Thames flood barriers sounds about right.

On the other hand :wink: , it might be cheaper if Tony follows my (entirely selfless :P ) suggestion of flying his treasures out to me here in NZ for storage in my garden shed.....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’ 8)
Last edited by Aurélien on 15 Oct 2009, 18:35, edited 1 time in total.
RainbowJude
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers, Adventure Series, Barney Mysteries
Favourite character: Darryl, Dick, Barney, Jack, George, Noddy, Pip

Re: June's Notes in MALORY TOWERS and Subsequent Posts

Post by RainbowJude »

RainbowJude wrote:Not in so many words, but it was implied in the way you responded. The list of outcomes that you listed as examples were all physical and thus did not seem to consider what psychological effect the June's notes might have had on their recipients.
70s-child wrote:You are in effect saying that anything I didn't mention, meant that I was silently condoning it.... The point of the list of misdemeanors was to get you to keep things in perspective.... You will never hear me say that psychological consequences of bullying are irrelevant, because I have first-hand experience of that sort of thing, but I still think that all things considered, June's actions were not as serious as they are made out to be.
That is not what I am saying at all. This discussion has a context, a specific situation and relates to a specific situation. Your posts on the matter have consistently backed up June's part, which is not a problem in itself as one can quite easily muster up some empathy for the spankings she has received from her brothers or the fact that she's been picked on by the older girls at school, but I think it's inconsistent not give full weight to the impact that her letters could have on others. By not mentioning this, it has seemed that at times - in the context of this discussion rather than generally - as if you are offering a silent approval of June's actions even though they represent a form of psychological bullying. I understand that this does not represent your attitude towards bullying and I'm sorry if I misinterpreted you in that regard, but I do feel that your posts allowed that kind of misinterpretation in the first place, if only because you were so passionately arguing on June's behalf.

You say that I am lack perspective, but I don't see how my position that June's letter-writing was inappropriate behaviour implies this. You're arguing as if I'm saying that I'm in full agreement regarding June's proposed punishment and this is something that I have never debated in this conversation. My original point in relation to June's anonymous letters was never about whether the punishment for her actions suited what she had done. All I said was that knowing June's motives added weight to the story, which was for me the missing factor in The Mystery of the Spiteful Letters. Your response to that, which I've taken as the framework for everything that followed, begins with a statement that you couldn't "see much wrong in what June did". All I've been trying to say in the discussion that has followed is that, no matter to what extent we can understand the reasons that may have driven June to write the letters, either over time or in the short term, her actions are still wrong and still harmful to the recipients. The issue of June's proposed punishment is a separate issue and not one that served as the framework for my discussion in this thread at all.
70s-child wrote:David, no hard feelings - I hope!
Of course not. I hope there are none on your side either. The point of my responses above wasn't at all to disregard your very valid opinions on bullying and it has been an interesting discussion on the whole, I think.

At the same time, I'd like to say to some of the other people that have posted in this thread recently that I don't appreciate all the passive aggressive criticism aimed at my posting style that's surfaced above. We've been through this before and I've stated plainly that the reason I quote is to contextualise my posts, which is necessary as these threads often focus on several books or topics. If someone can't shift their attitude towards me or the way that I post when I've so clearly stated this point, then there's nothing more I can do about it - and I'm not going to let it upset me too much either. I also think that the majority of my posts are agreeable and often affirm points that I've quoted, so I think it is unfair to imply that everything I say is argumentative and for the sake of argument alone. Certainly, I make my mind known when I'm not in agreement about something and, yes, I do get a bit carried away sometimes, but I'm passionate about the things I love and I do love these books a great deal indeed.

Don't believe me? You don't have to, I suppose, but here's the philosophy that underpins my approach. Derek Walcott, a Nobel Prize Laureate for Literature in 1992, says: “Break a vase, and the love that reassembles the fragments is stronger than that love which took its symmetry for granted when it was whole. The glue that fits the pieces is the sealing of the original shape."

You can take it or leave it, but that's all I have to say. I can't offer any further or better defence on my own behalf.

Later days
David
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

I certainly didn't mean to cause offense David,and I certainly don't consider my posts to contain "passive aggressive criticism" but I think that fact that you feel the need to defend yourself, and also that fact that you assume we were referring to you and your posting style alone speaks volumes.

I realise my defending my posts may "speak volumes" also, but I don't feel I can defend the others who posted without putting words into their mouths.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
booklover
Favourite book/series: Whyteleafe, Faraway Tree, "Barney" books
Favourite character: Elizabeth Allen, Fatty, Barney and Snubby

Post by booklover »

Hi everyone :)

Just thought I would remind everyone that there are two threads on your Favourite Five Find-Outers book.
This one has the poll. Get those votes in!