Five Get Into Trouble

The books! Over seven hundred of them and still counting...
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Five Get Into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

One of my favourite Famous Five books, as you can tell from my Avatar. My own home is also called 'Owl's Dene' from the book, as is my holiday caravan in Dorset. :lol:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Judith Crabb wrote:'Five get into Trouble' was one of my favourites and I almost missed out reading it. The trouble was the 'trouble' in the title. For me as a child getting into trouble did not mean getting into difficulties. Trouble meant getting cornered by parent or teacher (or heaven forbid policeman) and getting told off good and proper and possibly whacked. The thought of the adored Famous Five being subjected to such ignominy was too much for me, but finally having read many times all the other Five titles that had been published to that date - 1958 I gave in and of course learned a new meaning for 'getting in to trouble'.
My sister and I also thought from the title that the book would involve the Five "getting told off", though that didn't stop us wanting to read it! It's not one of the absolute best Famous Five books for me but it would probably make my top ten.

I agree with the two Johns (Lynch and Pickup) that Eileen Soper's original cover is wonderful. I can't imagine why anyone thought it would be a good idea to get her to redo it!!

Personally, I love the Betty Maxey cover as well and it's great to see it being used for the American edition. The colours are lovely and those gates look suitably forbidding
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

One of the unusual and rarely noticed strengths of this book - and a rebuff to those who lazily assume that Enid created a long series of 'cardboard cut-out' villains - is the uneasy relationship between the 'crooks' who live or are staying at the mysterious Owls Dene. Mr Perton seems to use Rooky as a threat to those who he wants to intimidate, in this case the Five - when he shuts the gates to stop them getting out and hurries down the drive to check he has caught them , he tells the furious Rooky to keep his temper under control until/ unless it is needed . This is clearly a threat to the children to 'do as I tell you or I'll set Rooky on you', and is seen as such but does not intimidate Julian; it is one of the genuinely scary moments of their adventures and I found it more menacing than the antics of the 'sinister mastermind' Red Tower in Fall Into Adventure, though Red is presented as some sort of rich and successful criminal. (Helicopters, like the one he plans to escape in, were not cheap in the 1950s.) And does Rooky try to poison Timmy with or without Mr P's permission?

Ditto when Rooky is trying to smash down the study door as Julian is using the gates-mechanism to let the police in - and just before this Mr P has told the children to keep out of Rooky's way , ie he is afraid that he cannot control him when he is in a temper! And Mr P doesn't try to stop Rooky smashing the door, or even to be aware of it - I suspect he was busy burning incriminating documents before the police arrived! There's also the matter of the relationship between Hunchy (a name that sounds very un-PC nowadays but would be a genuine sort of criminal nickname for someone with an unusual appearance back in the 1950s) and Aggie - Aggie helps the children behind H's back, as if to pay him back for bullying her? But does Aggie notice that Julian has got Richard to rub soot into his hair to change the colour of it before Rooky arrives, and keep quiet about it - Hunchy does not notice, which suggests that he is not very efficient as a henchman! All of this goes in my mind to make Get Into Trouble a very intriguing and atmospheric book.
Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

How lovely to have your homed named Owls Dene after the house on Owls Hill-- in Five get into trouble
.Julian.was standing behind Richard to him ftom tje prying eyes of Hunchy-- when Richard was smearing his hair with soot-- so its not surprising that Hunchy did not know what was going on
. Also mr Perton told Hunchy to keep his temper.as.he would have to bring it out when required-- I dont think mr perton told Rooky that. Sorry if I am wrong
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I think it was in the TV series of the book that Perton speaks about Rocky, and says about his temper - to bring it out when required.

8)

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well remembered Julie!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

Mr Perton and Rooky were two of Enid's best villains in the FF books, and were certainly a step up from the previous villains in in the series, including the Sticks and Jock's stepfather. Over the next few years, EB created some of her most memorable villains, including the dog thieves in Go Ahead, Secret Seven, Red Towers in Fall Into Adventure, and of course, Mr Marvel in The Rubadub Mystery. Gringo and his gang in Plenty Of Fun, marked the end of the run of great villains, and the villains in later FF books, paled in comparison to Mr Perton and Rooky, I thought.
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

pete9012S wrote:Well remembered Julie!
Thanks, Pete. It's because I've seen most of these episode over and over again, from when they were first released. And my daughter loved them in the 80's too, as a child. :D

8)

Society Member
Irene Malory Towers
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty from the Five Find Outers

Post by Irene Malory Towers »

I agree, the villains in FFO were much less villainy ! almost shadowy and somewhat pathetic (eg Mr Twit) in comparison to some of EB's other villains. The exception is Mr Tupping who was particularly nasty as not only did he steal the cat but he tried to frame poor Luke. His nastiness was evident very early on when he yanked out poor Bets' strawberry runners. He enjoyed being nasty ! it wasn't just a money issue.

I have just reread Five Get Into Trouble and it really is one of the best FF books. I love the interaction between the baddies and they have such good characters and names like Hunchie and Rookie. Also Julian really takes charge not only in dealing with crooks but also dealing with the spoilt Richard. His consideration and protectiveness towards Anne is so lovely. Even when he is in danger of being beaten by Rookie who is enraged by the imminent arrival of the police and has grabbed a whip (Julian) is still thinking of Anne and how scared she will be hearing Rooky's rages. I think from memory this book is where Julian is at his finest both in terms of courage and cleverness.

The pictures with an Eileen Soper edition are also brilliant.
You'll never wear your own brains out, Mr. Goon - you don't use them enough !
StephenC

Post by StephenC »

As I recall, one of the Five mentions the previous adventure with Mr Luffy in Go Off To Camp, in the opening chapters. This must be one of the very few instances in a FF book, where any reference is made to a previous adventure.