THE WRITER Dec, 1951 – Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Re: THE WRITER Dec, 1951 – Enid Blyton

Post by Tony Summerfield »

pete9012S wrote: 17 Oct 2022, 12:34 Anita's right - those articles would be great in the Journal!
Sadly some think that it would be better here when over 90% of those that take the Journal don't even look at the forums but I appreciate that some of the people who use these forums regularly don't subscribe and therefore have no interest in the Journal, much better to read it here for free. There are times when I wonder why I waste so much of my time on this Society. :cry:
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Well everything you do is appreciated Tony.

I often thank my lucky stars that you publish the Journal and fill the cave with incredible literary treasures.
We even have scans and often full reproductions of the most hard to procure publications by Enid Blyton.

I'm amazed that after all we have discovered so far about Enid's output, there always seems to be more to learn and enjoy.
When I first found this site and the EBS Journal it instantly felt like finding long lost friends and fellow compadres.

There: I think you've now had at least a fiver's worth of gushing eulogy from me.
I'd better stop and leave some material for others!!!

Best Wishes

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Well said, Pete. This article should be in the Journal for ALL subscribers to view.
This forum is part of the Enid Blyton Society but sadly, some don't seem interested in posting anything about her.
I can understand how you feel, Tony. Without your work, we wouldn't have a society, a Journal or the Cave.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Well said, Pete and John.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Susie9598

Post by Susie9598 »

That was such an interesting read- thank you! Quite right about children disliking over sophistication and dumbing down. Young readers aren’t stupid, they know when a writer is patronising them. I found the section where EB talks about readers from other lands rather moving, I’m not sure why. And what did she mean by “tallies”, does anyone know?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: 19 Oct 2022, 19:19 Sadly some think that it would be better here when over 90% of those that take the Journal don't even look at the forums but I appreciate that some of the people who use these forums regularly don't subscribe and therefore have no interest in the Journal, much better to read it here for free. There are times when I wonder why I waste so much of my time on this Society. :cry:
I am sure I speak for many when I say, thank goodness you do! I have been a Society member/Journal subscriber since 2005 - indeed, Anita beat me by just one day! It was a momentous time for me - made even more so to find that our global leader lived a mile or so from my abode. My registering the forums was very closely followed by my joining the Society - I am puzzled how some of our forum friends do not see it vital to read the Journal. Also, I find it surprising that 90% of members don't look at the forums.

It seems to me that the forums - split into Blyton threads and (mainly) games threads could be the issue. Member might look into the forums as guests, and find posts that have nothing to do with our authoress - crosswords, the more futile games such as 'change a letter', posts about urinals, etc,etc.

Of course, the registered forum members are free to write about whatever they like (within reason). I must point out, I have little issue with that as I now only read posts/threads belonging to topics that might be of interest to me. For many years, I read every post on every topic. What I do find more incredible is how any lover of Blyton can fail to subscribe to the Journal - even some of our more frequent posters have not subscribed. To use the forums on a daily basis yet show no interest in the Journal beats me. There are people using the forums who appear to be interested in Enid Blyton and have money to spend buying Enid Blyton books but appear to be not prepared to fork out a pound a month to join the Society and they do get at least 240 pages of Journal per year for their money.

As I say, each to his own, but as Tony raised this matter, I felt the need to respond. I know from my visits to Summerfield Towers how hard he works and how dedicated his life is to the Society. There is no other author's website that has anyone as dedicated as he. We are indeed very fortunate. That Tony feels as he does - and I can quite see why - is extremely sad.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Very interesting musings, Nigel. The forums are fun and informative and I love posting on them and being part of the community, but nothing beats the Journal when it comes to delving deeply into all things Blyton. I learn new things from every issue and it's thanks to Tony's hard work that we have such a special publication, packed with goodies.

Incidentally, you're right that I registered on the forums just one day before you, Nigel, but I'd already been a Journal subscriber for some years by that time. I joined the Enid Blyton Society in 2000 and I still look forward to each new Journal as much as ever.

Society Member
Boodi 2
Favourite book/series: The Five Find-outers, The Six Cousins
Favourite character: Ern

Post by Boodi 2 »

I also fail to understand why more people don't subscribe to the journal, as it is an excellent publication and the product of extremely hard work on the part of Tony, which I much admire and appreciate. It is also very good value for money. At the same time, I enjoy posting on the forums and being part of the community, which I think became even more important to me over the past two years of lockdowns, social distancing and various restrictions. In that regard I find the "off topic" and games sections a welcome distraction from the often depressing reality, which cannot be a bad thing and keeps my brain active!!!
Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I tried to subscribe during lockdown and couldn't connect my paypal to the account and there wasn't an alternative option to pay that I could see at that point.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Sorry you had trouble joining, Debbie. The following link leads to the Journal subscription page and there are three methods of payment - PayPal, BACS, or cheque/postal order:

https://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/subscribe.php

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Anita, It might be worth Tony changing the passage under PayPal which reads:

"...it is much more convenient to pay this way, especially for overseas subscribers, and the extra few pence we have to charge isn't much more than the cost of the postage it would take to send the cheque to us."

Since that was probably written it now costs more for the postage in the UK (1st Class) at 95p.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks but I think Keith deals with that page, not Tony. I suppose PayPal charges go up from time to time too, though I'm not sure how often.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I send the money to Tony's email address which I believe is fee-free.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks for that simple but most effective technical tip Nigel.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I too can never understand how anyone with any interest in Blyton does not subscribe to the Journal. It's top quality, packed with the most fascinating articles, insights and historical items and is practically given away it's so cheap!! It seems that there has never been a huge crossover between the forums and the Journal, I'm guessing that many Journal readers are older and maybe not much interested in the internet in any form let alone discussion forums. But I do find it odd when members here, who post frequently and often very knowledgeably, do not subscribe. The Journal is a natural extension of the forums and this whole fantastic website. Personally I wouldn't be without either of them.

And it's all down to Tony whose tireless work in the Blyton world has given pleasure to a very great many people down the years. Long may it continue. My subscription will be due with the next issue. I always pay by paypal as it's literally two or three clicks and the job is done for another year.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member