Enid's 16th birthday book of poems?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Enid's 16th birthday book of poems?

Post by Lucky Star »

Sorry to hear about your husband Sue. But what a lovely item to have in your personal collection. I'm so glad the book has survived and is in good hands.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

I am so sorry to hear that you lost your dear husband recently, Sue. I am sure you had 56 wonderful years together - a great achievement these days. Take care and stay safe.

John
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I’m very sorry to hear about the loss of your husband, Sue. My thoughts are with you at this very sad time.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

Thank you all for your kind word re the loss of my husband. Very appreciated. The past two years were very difficult as he had advanced dementia (alzheimer's) but he was a wonderful caring man, who was dearly loved by every one who knew him and we had a fabulous life together.
Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:I've read 'The Poet' in Barbara Stoney's book but I can't remember if I've ever come across 'My Captain'. The title makes me think of Walt Whitman!
So Anita and others who may be interested.

In the front of 'The Poetry of Earth' book Enid has written in ink (as in pen & ink) Enid Blyton 1916.
It is a lovely poetry book and obviously been read and used continuously during it's life. It obviously inspired Enid to write poetry.

The poem 'The Poet' was written with only a few alterations. but the other poem was written & crossed out twice, ending up as follows:-

Curling hair
And deep brown eyes
Purest soul
That in there lies
A loving heart
In all you do
Never failing, ever true
My Captain

These poems were written in pencil.

And I must admit I do feel very privileged to have these books which were special to Enid during her life.

cheers Sue
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

My best wishes to you too, Sue.

I've also wondered about the books that inspired Enid when she was young. Yesterday someone in my village had a help-yourself box of books on their garden wall and I picked up Our Island Story by Henrietta Marshall, published in 1905. It is the legends and folklore of Britain, as well as an Imperial history!

Along with Puck of Pook's Hill by Rudyard Kipling in 1906, these books must have been in her school library if not on her own bookshelf!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote:I picked up Our Island Story by Henrietta Marshall, published in 1905.
Thank you for this book tip Viv.
I have just bought the kindle version for 75p from amazon which I look forward to reading.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00FVE9WOU/ ... TF8&btkr=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks so much for typing out 'My Captain' for us, Sue. It means a lot.

I can't help wondering whether the "Captain" to whom the poem is addressed might be Ida Hunt, whom Enid got to know in 1916 when she went to stay with the Hunt family (friends of the Attenboroughs) at Seckford Hall in Suffolk. Ida was a few years older than Enid and was already a Froebel-trained kindergarten teacher at Ipswich High School when Enid made her acquaintance. It was she who suggested that Enid herself would make a good teacher.

Enid began her teacher training at Ipswich in September 1916, moving into Ida's lodgings in Christchurch Street where the two women had a bedroom each and shared a sitting room. Barbara Stoney says that Enid was lonely and would seek Ida out for long chats, even after the latter had gone to bed. Enid called Ida "Cap'n" and herself "cabin-boy" or "Richard".
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Aussie Sue

Post by Aussie Sue »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:Thanks so much for typing out 'My Captain' for us, Sue. It means a lot.

I can't help wondering whether the "Captain" to whom the poem is addressed might be Ida Hunt, whom Enid got to know in 1916 when she went to stay with the Hunt family (friends of the Attenboroughs) at Seckford Hall in Suffolk. Ida was a few years older than Enid and was already a Froebel-trained kindergarten teacher at Ipswich High School when Enid made her acquaintance. It was she who suggested that Enid herself would make a good teacher.

Enid began her teacher training at Ipswich in September 1916, moving into Ida's lodgings in Christchurch Street where the two women had a bedroom each and shared a sitting room. Barbara Stoney says that Enid was lonely and would seek Ida out for long chats, even after the latter had gone to bed. Enid called Ida "Cap'n" and herself "cabin-boy" or "Richard".
Anita you are right, that fits perfectly, the date and the info on Ida. How lovely to fit that together, it makes the poem really mean something. And it lets us know how Enid was feeling at that time.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Thank you for posting The Captain, Sue. A beautiful poem.
Society Member
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

I'm so glad that Enid's poetry book survived and has ended up in good hands, thank you for sharing ' My Captain' with us Sue. Reading this thread has inspired me to reread Barbara Stoney's biography again. Best wishes for the future.

Viv had some lucky finds. Puck of Pook's Hill is a brilliant book as is the sequel Rewards and Fairies. I've got Our Island Story on my e-reader too but haven't got round to it yet.
"I love everything that's old: old friends, old times, old manners, old books, old wines." Oliver Goldsmith

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sue, thanks for sharing the poem with us, and thanks Anita for the information about Ida being called "Cap'n".

If only I could turn the clock back about 100 years, I could walk to Christchurch Street from my house in a short time and visit them. Although my house didn't actually exist then. :wink:
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Aussie Sue wrote:How lovely to fit that together, it makes the poem really mean something. And it lets us know how Enid was feeling at that time.
Yes, it's lovely to be able to piece things together. Thanks again for sharing, Sue.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

I'm now up to chapter 20 of Our Island Story and it's an interesting read.

It starts Once upon a time there was a giant called Neptune. So it is history as was understood in 1905 interspersed with folklore, and given as a continuous narrative of the origin myths of Britain.

I like it and the writing style is very familiar. In fact, if I hadn't seen the author's name on the book I could be happily convinced it was by Enid Blyton writing in the 1920s.

So, with that in mind I dug out Teacher's Treasury vol 3, where Enid Blyton also does her history, but going back to a proto-human living in the trees!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017