Enid: May 1, 1949

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid: May 1, 1949

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Judith Crabb wrote: 18 Aug 2022, 03:32I thought that I should thin a few books from my shelves and I took down 'The Floral Year' by L.J.F. Brimble, a very thick book (ripe for plucking) full of photographs, drawings and lovely coloured plates of British flowers, published in 1949. As often happens, I find I can't get rid of a book after all, this time because it is dedicated to 'To Three Friends ... in recognition of their individual and unique contributions to education', the first of whom is 'Miss Enid Blyton Children's Author'. Googling, I find that Brimble was a botanist and fellow of the Royal Society of Edinburgh. I'm sure Enid would have been well pleased with his compliment to her achievements.

It's good to see Enid Blyton being acknowledged in that way. You may know that L. J. F. Brimble was the author of Reference Book to Enid Blyton Nature Readers, which was also published by Macmillan in 1949.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Judith Crabb
Favourite book/series: Boys' and Girls' Circus Book/Adventure Series

Re: Enid: May 1, 1949

Post by Judith Crabb »

So he is, Anita! I took the 'Reference Book to Enid Blyton Nature Readers' down from my shelves (1953 reprint) which I find has a Foreword by Enid Blyton thanking Mr Brimble for 'his willing and friendly collaboration'. I notice that in this book, as well as in 'The Floral Year', he has provided his own drawings, so Eileen Soper was not required.
Society Member