Old Cottage Beckenham - any link?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Beckenhamite

Old Cottage Beckenham - any link?

Post by Beckenhamite »

Hello,

I've just joined this forum in the hope that one of you lovely people could help.

I'm researching a building in Beckenham called The Old Cottage - it's a listed building:
https://historicengland.org.uk/listing/ ... ry/1064321" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Anyway, I've been told that Enid Blyton wrote about it in one of her books, but I can't find out which book or even if this is true? Do any of you happen to know any connection between the author and this house? It's certainly very close to the one on Shortlands road which has the blue plaque.

Thanks!
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: Old Cottage Beckenham - any link?

Post by Lucky Star »

Old cottages feature in quite a few Enid Blyton books but I'm afraid I have no idea if shew based any of them upon this particular real life building. Hopefully someone else can be of more help.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Sounds like a good question for timv.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
timv

Post by timv »

I'm not very familiar with Enid's earlier, shorter stories for small children, so tracking down any reference to a cottage in one of them probably needs someone with more knowledge of this. I would think if there is a connection it would be from the time that Enid and Hugh lived nearby to Bromley Rd at Elfin Cottage, now no. 83 Shortlands Rd, in 1924-9 - this would be the house with the blue plaque referred to. E C is quite close to the E end of Bromley Rd. The connection probably does not refer to any of her post-1938 longer books; most of her cottages there are in the countryside. If a photo of the relevant building was available this could show if it had distinctive features and so make identification easier.

The enquiry link to the relevant house at 158 Bromley Rd does not give a photograph so I do not know if this is any of the photos I have seen of old cottages in B Rd - the latter are by the Oakwood Rd junction, ie near Enid's school from 1907-15, St Christophers, which is at 49 Bromley Rd. Probably '158' means the cottage is at the E end of the road, nearer Shortlands. Enid might also have known the cottage when she was at school and so put it in a story before she moved to Elfin Cottage - though pre-WW I she lived at the opposite, W end of Beckenham from Bromley Rd (Clockhouse Rd, 1903-12 and Elm Rd 1912-16) and might not have passed the cottage en route to school if it was at the E end of the road. This is the best I can suggest at the moment.
Society Member
Beckenhamite

Post by Beckenhamite »

I do have an image - will try to get it up.

It's actually 258 Bromley Road, right opposite shortlands station. It was pink, but is now a slightly more orange colour.

Thanks so much for your replies!
Beckenhamite

Post by Beckenhamite »

The cottage is now my avatar pic - hope that helps!
Beckenhamite

Post by Beckenhamite »

I've just read that it was supposed to be what Noddy's House was based on - anyone able to confirm this?!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I think this has been commented on in another thread...

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... f=3&t=8036" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Society Member