Why Enid Blyton?!

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Why Enid Blyton?!

Post by sixret »

hi there,

To spice up the forum, let us all make a confession.

1) When ave you 'fallen in love' with anything Blytons' ?

2) When ave you decided to be a Blyton's fan or maniac?

3) Why ave you chosen Enid Blyton as your favourite author? I know we ave been destined to but please elaborate your experience with Blyton.

Before I go further, let me introduce myself for the sake of courtesy and shud i say curiousity to some of the forumners.

I am 27 yo and lives in Malaysia.

Literally I love to read especially in mystery/thriller/crime/police procedural/action/horror genre. But i can accept other genre.

I remember, when i was young around 8-12 yo, i used to read Blytons' books in Bahasa Melayu(Malay Language) mostly her mystery books. I can say, her books and Alfred Hitchcock,Nancy Drew, Hardy Boys are the inspirations for me to indulge myself into adult mystery books.I asked my mum about enid blyton,and she told me she had read enid blyton when she was young(1950+) and now she is 68yo!!!

Then, at teen age, i satisfied myself(and still do) very much in reading Agatha Christies', Ngaio Marshs', Dorothy Sayers', Sidneys' and from Malaysian authors-as you can see, i love cosy mstery.though i also read teen romance like sweet dreams series, silhoutte and freshman series but this genre never lasting.

and now i ave added some other authors into my collections namely Colin Dexter, Ellery Queen,Sue Grafton,P.D James,Michael Palmer,Phillip Margolin,Peter Lovesey,John Grisham,Scott Turow, Laurie R King,Emily Brightwell,Conan Doyle .Dean Koontz, Edgar Allan Poe and the list keeps going.

and Blyton books also make me to collect other children' books.Harry Potter,Chronicles of Narnia,Anne of green Gables, Richmal Cromptons' and all those famous Classic Fairy Tales.

at one point in my life, i decided to collect Blytons' book in English. the reason why i wanted to have her books in english is because i assumed that the books in english will be in complete texts.later, i found that even in english-some of the ludicrous publishers of certain period of time(mostly current edition)published abridged edition due to their expertise in messing with Blytons' works. i dunno what's their motive is but i believe it must have to do with the profitable business-though i fail to prove my accusation-hence the originality of blytons' works are questionable and at stake. we, as buyers(not an expertise) are likely to buy *their* version of Blytons without knowing it.really really makes me hot and angry.

i remember at one point when i was young i had formed one gorup of five-just like five-find outers to investigate things ie criminal and trying our best to find one but none occured!!!hehe

because of Enid Blyton, i love to read.

and now, i rejoice myself in collecting blytons books though it's hard for me to get the first edition coz my financial does not allow it- i try to find as old version as possible.

book listing in this website is very-very-very good ie great plus excellent though u can make it even greater or excellenter(if it has such a word) to list down the title of the short story in one books and chapters.i ave tried to find the chapters in wishing chairs but none appeared- i wanted to compare it with my book edition whether it has all the chapters or not compared to original work.

I am now collecting all the blytons' work.though it's hard for me to find and buy the first editions due to the financial reason, I try to collect them as old version as possible.

Back to the questions unanswered

I ave fallen in love with blytons' works at young age without me realise it until I write this.

I ave decided to be blyton's maniac just recently due to nostalgic reason but it becomes uncontrollable.

Why enid blyton?! It still remain an enigma but I guess it's because I can find a comfort I need by reading them. I always relate blytons' with comfort and pleasant. When I am ill and lying on bed, I know where to find a comfort I need by reading hers.(not that I cant accept unpleasant thing.)In addition,her books instill good behaviour/manners and whatsnot.

Nuff said-my fingers are going numb by typing this.

So long!!!-quoted from blytons' works.frequent kind of greeting used by her.
:wink:
Julian
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Famous Five/St Clare's/Wishing Chair
Favourite character: Julian/Janet/Carlotta

Post by Julian »

Welcome to the forums!
  • ♥♣ Møh@mð Hä§åÑ♥♣
Thanks to Nigel for my avatar! :)
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Re: Why Enid Blyton?!

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

sixret wrote: at one point in my life, i decided to collect Blytons' book in English. the reason why i wanted to have her books in english is because i assumed that the books in english will be in complete texts.later, i found that even in english-some of the ludicrous publishers of certain period of time(mostly current edition)published abridged edition due to their expertise in messing with Blytons' works. i dunno what's their motive is but i believe it must have to do with the profitable business-though i fail to prove my accusation-hence the originality of blytons' works are questionable and at stake. we, as buyers(not an expertise) are likely to buy *their* version of Blytons without knowing it.really really makes me hot and angry.
Hi Sixret,

I run a shop dedicated to Enid Blyton in Dorset, and from behind my till I look out at Corfe Castle which was the inspiration for Kirrin Castle in the Famous Five books.

It is a wonder that I sell any books at all, after I have given my customers their "health warnings"!. I now say that I cannnot guarantee that ANY of the new books I have for sale are the proper text - they have all been interfered with in some way.

I expected those readers with English as a first language to be cross about the changes, but have been amazed at the strength of feeling from people like you who are also angry at the text changes in the English editions. Last week Enid's daughter Gillian visited the shop, and she was very upset when she realised the number of changes that have been made.

To answer your questions

I loved Blyton from the moment I read Mr Galliano's Circus when I was 7

I decided to write my book "The Dorset Days of Enid Blyton" in 2001

I think that I have decided to champion Blyton because everything here in Dorset, up until now, has been all about Thomas Hardy. His books are for grown ups, they are very long and exceedingly tedious. They are on the syllabus for English A level (age 16+) and are in part one of the reasons I gave up reading for pleasure at age 18. He does have some good descriptions about Dorset though!

Blyton is a children's author, she gets on with the plot, the tales are simply told without being childish, and are just good fun! She has also been unfairly villified - with her major crimes being successful and female!

Here in Brtitain we aren't very good about recognising a popular female genius!

Welcome to the forum!

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
noddy13

on correctness

Post by noddy13 »

Welcom to the forum sixret. Its nice that Im not the rare Asian around anymore.. glad to have some geographical neighbours.

Viv, I was perusing your comments about the changes made in the Blyton books.. the other day I went to pick up a few as gifts for some birthdays at my local shop. To my surprise,although the printings were new, they were not edited. For example, the Faraway Tree still had Jo, Fanny and Bessie as the names of the children.
In fact during the Day, one of the points of discussion I had with Gillian was about political correctness. Personally, Im rather flabbergasted at the fuss being made about the Blyton works in particular. Pick up any book from any period, and more likely than not, there will be statements made that are relevant to the times the book is published, but that will not seem fashionable in the future. So what,.? Im sure whether its the Bible, the Britanica or the Bhagwad Gita.. this is a fact of writing! Take the Harry Potter Books..maybe depicting a snake a symbol of evil will not be politically correct...or owls may rise up in arms over slavery and exploitation... or realists may sue JKR for spreading the concept of magic spells, when magic is not real.

So change Enid Blyton, and I say change a million books in a billion ways.. I do think honestly we should protect our own, and perhaps take legal steps to correct unilateral versions of political correctness.

Im rather in the mood for a bit of a fight..!
Viv of Ginger Pop

Hi Pradhu

Great to hear from you again.

Last night whilst perusing some old postings, I noted that Anita says that the Faraway Collection omits a few chapters. I've been promoting that book because the names are still the same.

So which is better - a forshortened book or Pop Cakes???!!!

Viv
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Post by sixret »

Thanks to julian, viv and prabhu for welcoming me.

it's nice to know there are asians among forumners. :wink:
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Welcome sixret.

A couple of authors in the Christie genre, which seem to be forgotten today, are John Creasey and John Rhode. Take a walk down eBay Avenue, and see if there are any listed. They have a wonderful feel to them, and are from that halcyon era that we all love.
Society Member
noddy13

Blytonians

Post by noddy13 »

Of course Sixret, my avatar now is more Blytonian than Asian! Guess I'd rather belong to a fan club than a continent , atleast in this case...!
But the fact is Malaysia is closer to me geographically than many parts of India are...so you are the " nearest " fellow fan I know. Makes me feel less lonely....!

Viv, in the militant mood I am in, I would say dont promote any reading which doesnt remain true to the spirit of Blyton as she wrote. I have as much right as anyone else if not more to perhaps feel affronted at some of the alleged names and characters used by her, but I'm glad to say I'm mature enough to see only creativity and imagination in her literary endeavours, and broad minded enough to see that she is a product of her environment as much as any of us are. Sadly, the critics are not as understanding I'm afraid, and I will boldly state that be they publishers or be they readers, they have only themselves to blame for not having anything better to do than to censor and criticise. Incidentally, I have reviewed the faraway tree books on Keiths site (modest efforts Im afraid, but Keith is an uncomplaining old soul), and I hope I've stayed true to the original writings. So away with traitors...

Hi there Nigel, how goes it..? Im a John Creasey reader as well, as well as Leslie Charteris, as well as Edgar Wallace, in fact Im increasing coming to discover Im a fan of older writers of older periods. Wheres the fun today..? Harry Potter hasnt a hells chance against the Saint...!

Anyway, if theres any thought of a movement against these censors, count me in fellers...

Prabhu
Moonraker

Re: Blytonians

Post by Moonraker »

noddy13 wrote: Hi there Nigel, how goes it..? Im a John Creasey reader as well, as well as Leslie Charteris, as well as Edgar Wallace, in fact Im increasing coming to discover Im a fan of older writers of older periods. Wheres the fun today..? Harry Potter hasnt a hells chance against the Saint...!

Hi there, Prabhu! You me both....give me the books from the 40s and 50s anyday. I'm not really old-fashioned, in fact I'm really quite modern......If the Saint was at Hogwarts, Voldemort would be history. :lol:
Society Member
noddy13

Post by noddy13 »

Too true Nigel, but sadly, if the Saint were at Hogwarts, there would be no megabucks for anyone...

I'm also quite a fan of Erle Stanley Gardner, I find it truly amazing that the man could think through such technical legalities, find some magical way out of seemingly impossible messes and in all that tell a story too.. (not to mention the ravishing Della Street). I believe he is the best selling author of all time. If so, he deserves to be that and more. There's one heck of a story teller...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

All true, Prabhu.

Incidentally, another brilliant author is Peter Robinson. His Inspector Banks mysteries are set in the Yorkshire Dales, and well worth a read. Although born in Yorkshire, he now resides in the USA.
Society Member
Briar Bush

Post by Briar Bush »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: I run a shop dedicated to Enid Blyton in Dorset, and from behind my till I look out at Corfe Castle which was the inspiration for Kirrin Castle in the Famous Five books.

It is a wonder that I sell any books at all, after I have given my customers their "health warnings"!. I now say that I cannnot guarantee that ANY of the new books I have for sale are the proper text - they have all been interfered with in some way.

I expected those readers with English as a first language to be cross about the changes, but have been amazed at the strength of feeling from people like you who are also angry at the text changes in the English editions. Last week Enid's daughter Gillian visited the shop, and she was very upset when she realised the number of changes that have been made.

To answer your questions

I loved Blyton from the moment I read Mr Galliano's Circus when I was 7

I decided to write my book "The Dorset Days of Enid Blyton" in 2001

I think that I have decided to champion Blyton because everything here in Dorset, up until now, has been all about Thomas Hardy. His books are for grown ups, they are very long and exceedingly tedious. They are on the syllabus for English A level (age 16+) and are in part one of the reasons I gave up reading for pleasure at age 18. He does have some good descriptions about Dorset though!

Blyton is a children's author, she gets on with the plot, the tales are simply told without being childish, and are just good fun! She has also been unfairly villified - with her major crimes being successful and female!

Here in Brtitain we aren't very good about recognising a popular female genius!

Welcome to the forum!

Best wishes

Viv
New here - cheers for this dedication to the greatest children's author of all time!

Regarding the last comment maybe I'm a little sexist at times (truth be told :oops:) but have no problem in recognising Enid Blyton as a genius!

I'm from way up North but would love to visit your shop in Dorset. Do you sell her books?

All the best!..
Viv of Ginger Pop

[quote="Briar Bush"][. Do you sell her books?
quote]

I sell what passes for her books! Todays best sellers were the Adventure series, to adult customers. Compared to the original hardbacks the current paperbacks are an embaressment with poor paper and no pictures.

The Ginger Beer is authentic though!

Welcome to the Forum.

Viv
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Oh Viv, you've messed up the quotes again; just when we thought you'd cracked it :wink:
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

moonraker wrote:Oh Viv, you've messed up the quotes again; just when we thought you'd cracked it :wink:
It's not the quotes that are cracking.....

sigh

Viv