Enid and the changing world

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Moonraker

Re: Enid and the changing world

Post by Moonraker »

Good man, Eddie; I knew I could rely on you! :wink:
Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Cheers, Nigel. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

What "loud, blaring tunes that never seemed to stop" are likely to have been included on a jukebox in a British seaside town in 1951, I wonder? Can anyone suggest any likely candidates from the late 1940s or the very beginning of the 1950s?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

It's true that "loud, blaring tunes that never seemed to stop" hardly sounds like an approving description on Enid's part. But the reactions she gives to Snubby and Roger - "How super! I wish we had one of these at the inn" and "Pity we haven't any money tonight" - clearly shows she empathised with young people's enjoyment of this new technology, and could have a sly laugh with them at the thought of how a stodgy grown-up would "have a blue fit!"

I'm afraid that now we've all seen the passage that was referred to in the OP, the theory that Enid "criticises" early '50s music, with "the tone of a disapproving old woman", has just been shot down in flames. :roll:

(Take-home lesson: it pays to read a text very carefully before concluding that it proves what one has already decided it ought to prove.)
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:What "loud, blaring tunes that never seemed to stop" are likely to have been included on a jukebox in a British seaside town in 1951, I wonder? Can anyone suggest any likely candidates from the late 1940s or the very beginning of the 1950s?
The following "lively" songs are likely to have been included on a jukebox in a British seaside town in 1951, Anita:

Frankie Laine: Mule Train; Jezebel; Jealousy; The Cry of the Wild Goose.
Johnnie Ray: Cry.
Les Paul & Mary Ford: How High the Moon; Mockin' Bird Hill.
Rosemary Clooney: Come On-a My House.
Guy Mitchell: The Roving Kind; My Truly Truly Fair; My Heart Cries For You.
Tennessee Ernie Ford: Shotgun Boogie.
Teresa Brewer: (Put Another Nickel In) Music Music Music.
Nat King Cole: Mona Lisa.
Perez Prado: Mambo Number Five.
Hank Williams: Hey Good Lookin'.
Patti Page's or Jo Stafford's version of Tennesse Waltz.
The Ames Brothers: Rag Mop.
Hoagy Carmichael: My Resistance Is Low.

I'm sure someone will be able to suggest other records that I haven't included.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Maggie Knows

Post by Maggie Knows »

Eddie Muir wrote:The Ames Brothers: Rag Mop.
If rumours are true Mophead will be leaving the Rags before too long...

http://www.theguardian.com/football/201 ... m-interest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
lizarfau
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George

Post by lizarfau »

Fifteen years ago, we had some neighbours who used to hold occasional parties that went to the early hours of the morning - with blaring Perry Como music. It was horrendous. So maybe Enid Blyton had heard Perry Como a few too many times as well. I think he was around in 1951!
Domino

Post by Domino »

I am rather puzzled by the idea of a jukebox in a UK seaside town in 1951. (The Rub-a-dub Mystery was published in 1952). At the time, import restrictions prevented the import of any items which did not contain at least 53% of UK components. Jukeboxes were manufactured exclusively in the USA until 1953. So where had EB seen a jukebox, which certainly seems to have been to what she was referring?
As to Eddie's list, I have my doubts as to whether Perez Prado's "Mambo Number Five" would have been included, as he did not become well-known in the UK until "Cherry Pink and Apple Blossom White" was featured in the film "Underwater". Both tunes were recorded in 1951 and the latter was a hit in France that year as "Cerisier et Pommier Blanche". I also think that Frankie Laine and Jo Stafford's version of "Hey, Good Looking" would have been more likely than the Hank Williams' original.
Two other Guy Mitchell records come to mind as being popular in the UK in 1951, "A-Roving" * and "Sparrow in the Treetop."

* "The Roving Kind" was an adaptation of "The Fireship"; "A-Roving" an adaptation of "The Plymouth Maid".

Dave

Dave
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the info, Dave. I must admit I have no recollection of ever seeing or hearing a jukebox in 1951. Most of the records included in my list were ones I remember hearing on the radio around that time when I was still living in my hometown, Stourport-on-Severn in Worcestershire. My family didn't own a television in those far-off days and so we were avid listeners of the wireless. :D

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Well, my parents had a television set from October, 1951, but TV programmes consisted of a women's programme from 3-4pm., Children's Television from 5-6pm. and the evening programmes from 7.45 -10.30pm.
So, like you, I listened to a lot of wireless. I remember "Norman and Henry Bones - The Boy Detectives", but most of what I remember wasn't primarily intended for children. There was "Horatio Hornblower", and a series called "The Mounties" about the Royal Canadian Mounted Police (I can't remember who was in it or details of the episodes, but the signature tune was "Alouetta" with specially written words for the verse. It began "See the Mounties, riding o'er the hillside.") There was also a serial called "The Windjammers" about two sailing ships who race each other to get a cargo from Australia to England, with fierce rivalry and not a little skullduggery.
Oh, and the comedy shows, "Educating Archie", "Life with Lyons", "Just Fancy", "Take It From Here" and "Ray's a Laugh" were all popular in 1951.
As regards to records played on the wireless in 1951, the BBC was hampered by the dreaded 'needle-time' imposed on it by the Musicians' Union, which meant they could only broadcast so many hours of commercial records each week. As in America, the BBC got around this by recording "transcription records", but effect of this was that British covers got preference, because these artistes were available to record.

Dave

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

Domino wrote:As regards to records played on the wireless in 1951, the BBC was hampered by the dreaded 'needle-time' imposed on it by the Musicians' Union, which meant they could only broadcast so many hours of commercial records each week. As in America, the BBC got around this by recording "transcription records", but effect of this was that British covers got preference, because these artistes were available to record.
It's quite likely that I was listening to British cover versions on "transcription records" on the wireless in 1951. I can't be sure, as I was only 7 or 8 at the time. The versions I listed in my earlier post are the ones I have become familiar with in more recent times.
Domino wrote:Oh, and the comedy shows, "Educating Archie", "Life with Lyons", "Just Fancy", "Take It From Here" and "Ray's a Laugh" were all popular in 1951.
How well I recall al the comedy shows you've mentioned. Educating Archie was a favourite of mine and listening to it was special Sunday lunchtime treat. :D

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

I was also eight in 1951, Eddie.
A lot of famous people got their start by appearing on "Educating Archie" and they all had catch-phrases. In 1951 there were:
Max Bygraves - "I've arrived - and to prove it I'm here!"; "Big 'ead!"; "A good idea - son!" and, said very quickly, "I says 'Who?', he says 'You', I says 'Me?', he says 'Yes'."
Tony Hancock - "Flippin' kids!"
Songs were sung by Julie Andrews (who was also in the first series in 1950 aged 13). It is said that she used to get irritated by people writing in to ask if she was Archie Andrews' sister!
The first series was produced by Charles Chilton who wrote the "Riders of the Range" serials (1948-1953) and, as I am sure you will know, Eddie, the "Journey Into Space" serials (1953-1958). Did you know that the first serial was only supposed to run for 8 episodes, but after the first 2 had been broadcast (and it was all live, remember,) the BBC asked Chilton to extend it to 18, which he did seamlessly? Quite amazing! The 1958 serial was a more concise version of the first. Mitch's partner, who died testing the space suit in a vacuum, was not included.

Dave

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

This is a most interesting conversation. My pre rock n roll knowledge is confined to some general awareness of wartime music (i have several compilation CDs which are great to listen to). I wonder if any of Vera Lynn's classics or George Formby would have been on a jukebox of the time? Enid might have had slightly more appreciation of those stalwarts of the wartime era. I believe even the Queen liked them.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Post by Eddie Muir »

You're quite right, Dave. A lot of famous people got their start by appearing on Educating Archie. Over the years, in addition to the three you mentioned, the following stars also appeared on the show (as I'm sure you know): Benny Hill, Harry Secombe, Dick Emery, Hattie Jacques, Bernard Bresslaw, Beryl Reid and Bruce Forsyth.

I was a great fan of Journey into Space and followed each weekly episode with enthusiasm. I posted the following on the forums on 2nd April 2012:

I had a very lucky find in a local charity shop at the weekend: the complete Journey into Space - the Red Planet on 10 CDs and in mint condition for £2.50. I couldn't believe my luck. I remember listening to it on the BBC's Light Programme when I was eleven years old. Now I can listen to it again at my leisure - more than ten hours of pure nostalgia. Great!

Since my post, I have listened to the complete "Red Planet" on the CD player in my car and thoroughly enjoyed doing so. Although close on sixty years had passed since it was broadcast, I was quite surprised how much of it I remembered.

Talking of 1950s radio, I was also a big fan of The Goon Show, and fondly remember discussing the merits of each show at school on the mornings after the broadcasts.

Both Vera Lynn and George Formby were extremely popular, John, and I certainly remember hearing their records on the radio in the late forties and early fifties.

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

John, Vera Lynn was still popular in 1951, but it wasn't one of her better years. In November 1952, she had 3 Top Ten hits in the very first UK Chart. George Formby would have been something of a spent force by then, the late 30's and early 40's were his hey-day. Popular British singers of the time would have included Jimmy Young,
Donald Peers, Dick James, Anne Shelton and even Petula Clark.
I associate jukeboxes in the UK with the emergence of the coffee bars in 1955, which coincided with Rock 'n' Roll, and they thus became a favourite haunt of the early Teddy Boys.

Dave

Society Member