When the Thames flooded Old Thatch

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Enikyoga

Re: When the Thames flooded Old Thatch

Post by Enikyoga »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:That letter describes one flood in 1929, but apparently wintertime floods were quite common in the days when Enid Blyton lived at Old Thatch.
I strongly believe that, the tree's crashing into Kirrin Cottage in Five Go To Smuggler's Top was inspired by the Thames flooding of the Old Thatch that Enid Blyton may have either once witnessed or may have witnessed several times while she was still residing there.
Stephen I.
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

That's the first time I can remember you offering an opinion without quoting it as fact. A refreshing change. And ironically, one of your more believable ideas. :D
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Enikyoga wrote:I strongly believe that, the tree's crashing into Kirrin Cottage in Five Go To Smuggler's Top was inspired by the Thames flooding of the Old Thatch that Enid Blyton may have either once witnessed or may have witnessed several times while she was still residing there.
Perhaps you missed seeing the Teachers World letter that Tony put up very recently. Enid Blyton described how she saw an ash tree blown down at Old Thatch. Like the ash tree at Kirrin Cottage, it came down in a gale.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Enikyoga wrote: I strongly believe that, the tree's crashing into Kirrin Cottage in Five Go To Smuggler's Top was inspired by the Thames flooding of the Old Thatch that Enid Blyton may have either once witnessed or may have witnessed several times while she was still residing there.
Stephen I.
I'm always slightly annoyed at your expression of ' I strongly believe' Stephen. It doesn't mean it's actual facts. I'm glad to see Anita has explained about the tree falling down at Old Thatch. Even if this hadn't have happened, I'm sure Enid's own imagination was quite capable of still having a tree fall onto the roof of Kirrin Cottage. Why does there always have to be some sort of connections with!!!!! Why can't you ever accept Enid had a wonderful imagination! :roll:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Actually there's a short story in which the same theme was used - a tree was growing in the shadow of the ash complaining the ash was keeping the light away. It also talked about the usefulness of roots going deep into soil while the ash is scornful about it. In the end a gale blew down that ash as well.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:
Enikyoga wrote: I strongly believe that, the tree's crashing into Kirrin Cottage in Five Go To Smuggler's Top was inspired by the Thames flooding of the Old Thatch that Enid Blyton may have either once witnessed or may have witnessed several times while she was still residing there.
Stephen I.
I'm always slightly annoyed at your expression of ' I strongly believe' Stephen. It doesn't mean it's actual facts. I'm glad to see Anita has explained about the tree falling down at Old Thatch. Even if this hadn't have happened, I'm sure Enid's own imagination was quite capable of still having a tree fall onto the roof of Kirrin Cottage. Why does there always have to be some sort of connections with!!!!! Why can't you ever accept Enid had a wonderful imagination! :roll:

8)
Yes, it is true that Enid had a very vivid imagination and could have just as well have described the ash tree falling without having experienced this aspect. However, the reality was that she based tese observations from personal experience. probably, if she had not experienced the ash tree falling firshand, her description of it falling in Five Go To Smuggler's Top would not have been as spectacular as she had described it. In other words, her empirical observation of the ash tree falling combined with her charismatic way of writing after having observed the tree fall in very simple and uncomplicated language was one of the cornerstone's of her success as a writer. If you are familiar with the writings of several authors on Enid Blyton, including Barbara Stoney, Robert Druce, and others are supportive of the fact that several milestones, though not all of them, in Enid Blyton's writings were based on her empirical observations of several situations.
Stephen I.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Have to say that's the first sensible post of reply I have heard from you, Stephen. You wasn't plugging your stupid theories, or your book and explained what you thought very well, that Enid did indeed explain the falling of the ash tree as spectaclar because she'd witnessed such a thing herself. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I think you could safely say that the poem 'The Fallen Tree' was inspired by the demise of the ash tree, but if you read Enid's letter carefully there is no indication that she was worried that it would fall on the house, so I am not necessarily convinced that this inspired the scene in Smuggler's Top.

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=655" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

In strong gales trees do fall on houses and who knows what other things Enid may have read about - or perhaps it was just her imagination in action!
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony, Enid din't have any imagination. Everything - event or location - was inspired by other writers or happenings. She didn't write anything that came solely from her own mind. Haven't you realised that yet? :roll:

Julie: highly unlikely = might be = strongly believed = widely believed = gospel truth
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

It looks like the floods certainly reached the Spade Oak...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAPM15xJjhA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member