Her Golden Years

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Her Golden Years

Post by Francis »

Looking at my favourite books by Enid It appears that her greatest years were during the period 1942 until 1953 when she had reached maturity and yet was still comparatively fresh and young. Her greatest series were at their peaks during these years with her best Famous Five books, Adventure books, Find-Outer books, Malory Towers books all being published. Perhaps we could highlight one particular year - but that would be very difficult. I do not of course mean that some of her work outside this period was not of the highest quality.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Her Golden Years

Post by Deej »

Like you Francis, I feel Enid has produced work of such a high quality that it is difficult to choose a year or period of time where she was at her 'best'. However, in 1942, the year Five on a Treasure Island was published, the most magical book Blyton ever wrote IMO, has to stand out for me.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Deej wrote:....the most magical book Blyton ever wrote IMO,
Yes,I totally agree with that.It's the most magical book for me too.Of course I'm sure others will have other favourites,but that book definitely changed my whole life and opened my eyes!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

1948-49. In which The Valley of Adventure, The Sea of Adventure, Five Get into Trouble & The Rockingdown Mystery as well as lots more were written.
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I agree from about 1943 but for me her golden years go right up to 1960, as she was still writing some great Famous Five stories up until then. :)

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

For me the golden years started 1938

The following are all big favourites of mine and are books/series I have read over and over to myself and to grandchildren and other children at every opportunity.

- The Secret Island - 1938
- Mr Gallianos Circus - 1938
- The Enchanted Wood - 1939
- The Mystery of the Burnt Cottage - 1943

cheers
Sue
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

1947 was a great year, The Valley Of Adventure which for me is probably the best adventure story by any children's author ever written and Five On Kirrin Island Again and The Mystery Of The Missing Necklace. I think her strongest stories were written around this time.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

Like John I would be tempted by 1947 as some truly superb books were published, but then again I also agree
that 'Five on a Treasure Island' is a truly special book launching Enid into yet another level of achievement. It is amazing how she managed to maintain her standards and freshness - as Julie says up to at least 1960. Of course she also wrote some wonderful stories in the late 1930s. Just shows how difficult it is to choose.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five

Post by Deej »

Julie2owlsdene wrote:I agree from about 1943 but for me her golden years go right up to 1960, as she was still writing some great Famous Five stories up until then. :)

8)
To be fair, I don't think all the Famous Five books were as good as the other, especially the latter ones.
Paul Austin

Post by Paul Austin »

Banshee Towers is the most tragic of her books. She wasn't Enid any more by then.
"History is the parts of the past that the present finds useful" - Anon
Francis

Post by Francis »

I suspect that the decline was subtle and gradual so that books became less innovative although still readable. When Enid was young she was full of bright ideas which, with experience, blossomed into something special. I believe this process was complete by the early 1940s.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Banshee Towers was, in my opinion, definitely the weakest in the Find-Outers' series, however, I wouldn't call it a tragedy. Enid had set such a very high standard, that a less then perfect story was seemed to be very poor. I have always wondered if Enid was in the wrong mind-set when she penned Banshee - it has always had more of a R Mystery feel to it. An authoress who wrote so many hundreds of stories can't be expected to turn out a jewel every time.
Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I agree that Banshee Towers was the worst of the series but then Five Are Together Again is the worst of the FF series for me and The River Of Adventure is my least favourite of that series. The one thing in common is they are all the last of their respective series which I would hazard a guess is when the imagination is fast running out of ideas. The later Jennings books by Anthony Buckeridge are nowhere near as good as the first ones and Home To Witchend, Malcolm Saville's last Lone Pine book, is awful compared to its predecessors. In fact, if a new author had written it, it would never have been published.
Society Member
Francis

Post by Francis »

It is truly astonishing how well Enid kept up the standard of her writing considering the number of books she wrote. I believe there were several years when she published a large number of books. I haven't studied the output but I would imagine they tailed off considerably in the late 1950s and the 1960s. Other children's authors were much less prolific.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

It would be impossible for anyone to have maintained the high standards she set throughout the whole of her career. She wrote literally hundreds of books and thousands of stories, poems, articles etc. It would be unrealistic to expect them all to be great; there simply had to be a few clunkers along the way. In fact the wonder is that there were not more of them.

As to the "golden years" I would say anywhere between 1939 and about 1955 were the golden years.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member