Enid Blyton - The Untold Story

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Re: Enid Blyton - The Untold Story

Post by Rob Houghton »

Very interesting! I love the cover.

I'm supposedly quoted in this book...if those parts have been left in there...so I'm interested to see what it's like when it's published. I've read a couple of pages, which I had to check for errors...The parts I read seemed very interesting and well written. :-)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Hmm could be worth a look after all. Thanks for the additional information Tony.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Robert Houghton wrote:
I'm supposedly quoted in this book...if those parts have been left in there...
Shhhhh! We don't want him to push the price up!!! :wink: :D

On a serious note, I would like to know a rough,ball park publication date before parting with my cash.
I think I will ask him on his queries section of his site.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am not sure that it is worth taking a publishing date seriously, Pete, as I have been told that it was about to come out several times in the past and nothing more happened. The latest date I was given was June and with a dustwrapper showing we could actually be nearer now! He is a stickler for copyright and I know that trying to trace copyright has delayed him considerably.

After you posted the £20 last night, Pete, I got out my copy of the book and unless it has been considerably abridged that is a much cheaper price than I thought it would be. I think marketing the book will be difficult and I am a bit surprised that he has decided that the way forward is eb.net as I am not sure that many children would want to buy it!! I guess he has been put off this site by some of the comments earlier in this thread and also the fact that I told him recently that I wasn't able to advertise it on our Home Page as he wanted, he hasn't actually logged on here since November 2013!!

I admire his optimism in printing 1000 copies, but I am not sure how many he will sell unless he manages to get a major chain to take the book. It is most definitely a book for adults rather than children and the target audience is not that large. I wish him luck.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I am a bit surprised that he has decided that the way forward is eb.net as I am not sure that many children would want to buy it!!......I told him recently that I wasn't able to advertise it on our Home Page as he wanted, he hasn't actually logged on here since November 2013!!
Maybe you've answered your own question there, Tony! :wink:
Moonraker wrote:So, what you're saying is, we give you £200, then we get a "free" reward (which isn't free as we have paid for it), which is a book called Think and Grow Rich. Are you having a laugh? The only one I see that could be growing rich is you!
I stand by my "earlier comment".
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I don't think I have answered my own question as he also wanted the same advert on the eb.net home page and it doesn't seem to be there either. It is probably just that he considers that eb.net is a much more important site run by real experts, :(
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Tony Summerfield wrote: It is probably just that he considers that eb.net is a much more important site run by real experts, :(
Maybe as the site is run by a best-selling author, he feels his request might be received with more enthusiasm. :D
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I probably won't shell out 20 quid for this book but I do think the dustjacket looks very lovely.

Society Member
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

I agree with you, Ming. I suppose once it is published and I read favourable reviews then I might be tempted.
Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Brian now has a blog for those that want to keep updated.

Brian Carter's Blog

http://enidblytonbio.blogspot.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I don't think that Brian Carter is all that interested in the Society or this website as he seems to have decided that eb.net is a more discerning site. I see that there is even an advertisement for his book there now.
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

As he mentioned moralistic tales, and how Blyton has sometimes been criticised for her stories that always have a moral, I have to say this obsession with Enid forcing morals on children and being criticised for it has always annoyed me. Enid did a great job of making her books entertaining as well as moralistic. I've never understood the belittling she gets for being like this...almost as if, as a nation, we should have moved on from morals by now (I think most people have!)... and yet, read any children's book today and there is nearly always a moral...every Disney film is heavy with usually very obvious morals, every soap opera has to be highlighting an issue or teaching some sort of moral lesson. Isn't this just the same (but often much more clumsily done) as what Enid gave us through her career, and has been criticised for?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
pete9012S

Post by pete9012S »

Tony Summerfield wrote:...he seems to have decided that eb.net is a more discerning site..
Well,how could any site possibly even begin to compete with the heavyweight topics posted and promoted by the likes of Evie M,Tinky and others?? :D

Paul did try to get a serious discussion going about the war,but that was quickly overtaken by other matters..

Regular posters are even shrewd enough to have spotted and commented that Pip and Larry are not part of the team that replies to the erudite questions and comments that literally 'pepper' enidblyton.net.. :D :D

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

I am concerned that Brian often seems to get completely the wrong end of the stick, I read this on his website this morning:-

The person who’s responsible for bringing them together for this auspicious occasion is Cliff Watkins, a historian from the Beckenham Civic Society. It was he who came across the three poems while perusing several issues of the long since out of print 1917 Nash’s and Pall Mall Magazines.
But instead of bringing them to light by having them published one way or the other, he commissioned Gordon Carr, a composer, to set them to music. Hence the world premiere at St George’s Church in Beckenham.
The two poems by Enid Blyton set to music are Have You –? and My Summer Prayer, published in the editions of March and August, 1917 respectively and the other, "I Have –" by a certain Maud Dyrenfurth, published in June, 1917.
Enid wrote the poems sometime in 1917, when she was about twenty-years-old and living in Westfield Road, Beckenham.

These poems came to light long before Cliff was supposed to 'discover' them, they have been on our website since its early days and Barbara Stoney had them in her Biography - how else would Cliff have known where to look! Also Enid was most certainly not living in Westfield Road when she was 20, Theresa was but not Enid.

I have never been too keen on speculation (as you can see from some of my comments in the Doctor's thread!) and there is plenty of that in Brian's book and on his website.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Just wanted to chime in with my opinion about self-publishing in general (and not necessarily a comment about The Untold Story in particular)...

There are different types of self-publishing. The simplest and cheapest is POD (print on demand) which can cost almost nothing. It's free to upload and set up the book at giants like CreateSpace (owned by Amazon), and you would likely pay $10 for a proof copy of the book before final publication. The publishing itself is free. You can buy your own stock copies at the manufacturing cost. My printed Island of Fog books, which are text only, cost me $3.50 each, and I sell them for $11.95. An illustrated book, especially a color one, will cost quite a bit more, and personally I think those types of books will price themselves out of the market. I put one together for a client recently, all about Russian paintings, and though it had very few paintings among all the text, just one solitary color painting changes the entire price structure and greatly inflates the price.

So another option is to go with offset printing, the traditional type we all know from big publishers. These are much cheaper for vast quantities and for books with color pictures. Maybe the most viable option would be LSI, who produce millions of books (both POD and offset) for many big publishers. But this means a huge payout and thousands of copies sitting for years in the author's bedroom or storage facility until they're all gone, which could be never.

I don't think POD books are as good quality as offset, but they're certainly more viable for first-time authors who don't have a publisher behind them.

There are also publishing "services" who charge through the nose to do some basic setting up for you and usually print you a few hundred copies. Oh, and some so-called "marketing and promotion." Yeah, right. Those services can cost thousands, and from my experience talking to other authors who have done this, it's a mug's game. And they don't even have the rights to their own books for several years.

Then again, producing books on the cheap that looked awful and won't sell is also a mug's game. So I think the best way forward is to LEARN stuff and be your own publisher, but contract professionals on a "pick-and-mix" basis as necessary. Hire somebody to do the book cover, $300 dollars at most. Hire somebody to edit and proofread it, maybe $1000 tops depending on how far you need them to go. Hire somebody to put the book together as an uploadable PDF and set it up (at LSI for offset, or CreateSpace for POD). This is fiddly work, so possibly another $1000 or more if you have to pay somebody for their time. As for distribution and marketing, nothing works better than personal legwork, which is free. There are a few outlets worth paying for, the main one being BookBub, which can cost $150 for one ad but is WELL worth it because you make that back almost instantly in sales.

As for these kick-start funding projects... I honestly can't understand how an author has the gall to ask friends, family, and strangers for money to pay for such a thing. It just feels wrong to me. And when the project is done, the author then reaps the profits? I can understand asking for funding on a project that involves a new, clever invention that will benefit many people, but not for a book, which is really nothing more than a very personal hobby.

I know that some people are luckier than others with publishing, in that some people are "jack of all trades" and can put the book together from start to finish. I'm not saying mine are fabulous, but I do the whole thing myself. But those who need help can get it if they just do some research first. Research is free. Learning the ropes is free. I don't understand handing over a massive amount of dosh to some faceless company who have a nice website and say they can publish your book for you. Even THEY say (in small print), "...but you, the author, are responsible for your own success."

I'm not suggesting this is what Brian Carter is planning to do; again, I'm just speaking generally having met quite a few authors who have done this and seem to be at a loss to understand why they're still not in profit!

Put simply, spend as much as you need, but learn how to do publish your own book. Having complete control over every tiny detail is liberating. The same can be said of my father-in-law, who was very poor as a young adult and had to learn to fix everything himself -- cars, washing machines, blocked plumbing, everything -- and went on to build houses for a living, all self-taught with whatever qualifications he needed to get. He had no college education, just a stern father who said, "Get off your butt and figure it out." :-)

Gosh, what a long post! You can tell this whole "paying through the nose to publish a book" thing gets me upset.

By the way, Brian is paying a small fee for the advert at the top left of EnidBlyton.net. We'll both see how it goes. If he doesn't get enough click-thrus in March, then we'll cancel it. So it's a trial ad at the moment.

Hello everyone! :lol: