Britain's best-loved author 2008

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Tony Summerfield

Re: Britain's best loved author 2008

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I am posting a link to a video that has interviews with both Enid and Nicolette Jones (from last year's EB Day and the current Journal).

Channel 4 News
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Just came across an interesting article from Tuesday's Daily Express.

Anna Pukas makes the pertinent comment that "those who were polled were not asked which author was the best, but which author they loved best."

I hadn't known before reading the article that Enid Blyton books are currently "hugely popular" in Malta and the Balkan countries, though I did know that the books (or certain series at least) are popular in India and Japan. I think Jacqueline Wilson is right that Enid Blyton is no longer very popular in Britain. Although there have been one or two Enid Blyton fans among my children's friends, most of them have either read no Enid Blyton at all or have only read a couple of titles.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

I've just watched the Channel 4 News video, Tony, and was pleased to hear one of the booksellers saying that she recommends Enid Blyton books to children. I hadn't seen that clip of Enid Blyton before, at the Noddy in Toyland rehearsals - it was great to hear her speaking about how Beek's pictures inspired her.

Anita

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I agree with you entirely, Anita. It's a pity that Sophie Morris hadn't taken the time and trouble to read Enid Blyton herself and discover the positive and exciting qualities of the writing. Instead she has been content to merely regurgitate the negative comments and outdated views perpetuated by so many other so-called journalists. Viva Enid!
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Snubby
Favourite book/series: The Barney 'R' Mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby!!, Barney, and F5's George

Post by Snubby »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Channel 4 News
"..grandparents and parents are still buying for their children.."

And perhaps for themselves as well! :lol:
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I was delighted to discover the other day that Famous Five and Secret Seven books are available in my nine year old grandson's school library! He unfortunately is not a keen reader and has not tried them for himself but he knew they were there!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have tidied up the various links in this thread and I am also adding one from The Guardian from yesterday, which might also be of interest.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

That was an interesting lot of links! As Anita pointed out already, Sophie Morris doesn't seem to have read Blyton. I enjoyed the Channel 4 video as well, and I had exactly the same thought as Snubby, about parents and grandparents buying the books for themselves! The interview of Enid Blyton was interesting too - and I never imagined Enid to sound the way she sounds. I imagined her with a deeper voice for some reason, and she herself reminded me of my class teacher (or should I say "form mistress") who's always raving about Enid Blyton and "Put down Danielle Steel and PLEASE pick up a Malory Towers or St. Clare's book, girls!" :twisted: :D

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Loved reading all the various links. Like everyone, I think Sophie Morris, should try reading one or two of these wonderful books, before making any kind of judgement. I loved watching the link with the interview of Enid herself. It was lovely to hear her speak, so pronounced and genteel. Pity we couldn't have heard a lot more from the great lady herself. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

More of Enid's voice can be heard here.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Thanks for posting the link Nigel. I was also quite surprised to hear in the last section, that Enid spoke of her favourite character, being based on a girl she knew, and who had her own dog called Timmy. She was a real character, and made quite an impression on Enid. I was always under the impresson that Enid based George on herself. But not according to this interview. Very interesting. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

I have just watched the Channel 4 News item with great interest, especially as I had not seen the Enid Blyton interview before. Many thanks for providing the link, Tony.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Snubby

Post by Snubby »

Thanks for the link Nigel! Really enjoyed listening to her talking about her life and about George. Ahh.. This makes me feel that it'd be lovely if anyone can hear Enid Blyton's own voice telling Famous Five or Barney Mystery stories.. Imagining her describing every details she sees in her mind at the very moment!
"It is partly the struggle that helps you so much, that gives you determination, character, self-reliance—all things that help in any profession or trade, and most certainly in writing." —Enid Blyton
Snubby

Post by Snubby »

And who said Enid Blyton's books are not good for children?! I really admire her initial effort of running her own school just to understand children and "to be able to put everything like good morals, education, information of all sorts, and so on" to her children readers! That is a very good responsibility of being a children's book author. *clapping out loud* :D :D Only if all writers nowadays have this kind of attitude..
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

This morning, BBC Breakfast interviewed Kate Saunders about Enid Blyton. She made the important point that Blyton was voted "best-loved" author rather than "best" author in the Costa survey and said she approved of other authors writing continuations to the series. Several times she spoke of Enid's "bad English," which made me wince as the phrase implies that the books are littered with poor grammar. The vocabulary of Enid Blyton books is somewhat limited and repetitive but, having said that, Blyton phrases things with an admirable clarity and simplicity. The best of her work flows rhythmically and she's also adept at producing natural-sounding dialogue, giving her writing an appealing fluidity and readability. Still, the interview was reasonably positive on the whole (one of the presenters said she was a fan of Enid Blyton and loved the Faraway Tree books) and it's good to see our favourite author getting so much publicity.

There are also two Blyton-related articles in today's Sunday Times:

Sunday Times Article 1

Sunday Times Article 2

It's heartening to read, in the second article, that "Waterstone’s said Blyton was one of its top 12 best-selling children’s writers."

Anita

Edit: Still got BBC Breakfast on. Apparently, they're going to return to the topic of Enid Blyton shortly.

Society Member