Enid's Car

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Enid's Car

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I was thinking of doing a blog post on Enid's car- you know the one that some were lucky enough to see when we all met up at Old Thatch a few years ago, and was wondering where would be the best place to find the best information...

I admit I haven't been through the society website with a fine toothed comb yet, but I'm sure Tony has enough on his plate with the books than to focus on the car, one detail on Enid's life.

If anyone can recommend or can tell me if they know of where any details of the car could be found, I would be most grateful.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Enid's Car

Post by pete9012S »

Wasn't this one was it?

http://www.myfinepix.co.uk/gallery/13410/108281" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

or this one?

http://www.flickr.com/photos/zacks_clas ... 7261898506" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

think its the same car...

Last edited by pete9012S on 11 Apr 2013, 22:01, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

That's it, Stef, the one that Pete's just posted. I have a picture of Viv and her nephew beside it at Old Thatch (Spade Oak) which I will try and dig out.
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Yes that's the one!
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Tony Summerfield

Despite what you might read, it wasn't actually owned by Enid Blyton, it was a Darrell Waters Company car. Enid certainly never drove it, but it is possible that she may have travelled in it at some stage, but they had a whole fleet of cars owned by the company.
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Oh I see. I do remember being told that at one point.

Do we know if Enid ever owned/drove a car and had a driving liscence?

I think my blog idea might be slightly redundant now...

Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

I was looking at some pictures the other day, of the society day, and saw one of Enid's car - possibly outside Old Thatch. I wondered if Enid actually could drive - or maybe it really belonged to her husband and was more of a 'family car'. It doesn't look like the car is outside Old Thatch on the pictures, Pete posted. If not - does it tour around? :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

In Stoney's biography we learn that Enid Blyton had a driver's licence, she learned it at the same time as her husband who seemed to have a better learning curve in this field (if I remember correctly).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Isn't there a reference somewhere to Enid stopping her car when she saw a castle while on her way back from somewhere. Sorry, that's very vague I know, but it might jog someone's memory. I might have read it in an early Journal, as I thought it was in a letter Enid had written for Teacher's World or something like that. Although whether it mentioned the actual car I can't remember.

If not I suspect Barbara Stoney's biography is probably the best source of information.
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

In the late 40s and early 50s Enid owned a little sports car which she used to drive, but when she sold that she didn't drive again - she did of course have a chauffeur which might have helped!
David Chambers

Post by David Chambers »

I'm pretty sure Enid does say when she buys her first car and during the early 1930s she often talks of her excursions. In 1931 as well as her car she owned a camera and added photographs to her Teachers World page until just after Gillian was born. There are a few pictures of Enid herself on these pages I've not seen anywhere else and a few of them show her in her car.
I've just added what I'm afraid is a poor reproduction of one of these to the relevant Teachers World entry on the site at http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/blyt ... &perid=895
I have a feeling Enid mentions the registration number at one point, but it may take some digging to find that.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

Wow, are there exists pictures from inside the car or a video?
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Thanks for the information and link, David. Most interesting. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the link David.
Society Member
David Chambers

Post by David Chambers »

I've just found the registration number I remembered but by July 12th 1933 it seems Enid has changed her car as she describes a different colour. In her letter she is about to head off for that holiday in Scotland and she says:

When you get this letter I expect I shall have started, so look out for me. The car is dark blue, and the number is G.P. 7179.
There will only be Gillian's Daddy and me in the car, because Gillian and her nurse are going away to a nursery school, where for two or three weeks Gillian will have as many little boys and girls to play with as she likes. We shall miss her very much, but it is too far away to take her to Scotland.