Parents beware: the awful Blyton is back

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Re: Parents beware: the awful Blyton is back

Post by Daisy »

It depends what you call the early 20th century! The books which are most criticised were written in the late 40s and through the 50s, but the 'banning' (which I've always felt was rather too strong a word) was more that her books were discouraged by some teachers and librarians as they seemed to think children would read nothing else. I believe the racism and sexism accusations came after she died in 1968 and it was not that people had held back while she was still alive - but the greater awareness of prejudices was blossoming at that time. That's my take on it but others may have a different view.
Incidentally, as a teacher of infants in the late 50s I read her stories to my classes and they were always thoroughly enjoyed. However I didn't use her exclusively!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Deej wrote: I am quite interested to know when Blyton's books were first banned. If they were banned whilst she was still writing that would indicate to me that the culture and attitude in the early 20th century did condemn sexism and racism.
The 'banning' had nothing to do with s&r. They fell out of favour as it was felt that children should be reading classics and books that 'stretched the mind' more. Many scholars were jealous that Enid's books were so popular and children couldn't get enough of them. They felt the best way to get children to read more authors' works was to make Enid's books much more difficult to find.

It's a bit like someone saying, "I've never liked The Beatles." To say, "I don't like Enid Blyton," made the speaker seem (to himself, anyway) superior to the common man.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oh dear, I've sometimes said I don't like the Beetles :oops: Well, I suppose I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like them, I just can't understand why they are held in such high esteem by people. Some of their music I quite like, but it just doesn't strike me as anything particularly special. I don't know about making myself superior, I guess it shows I'm just on a totally different wave length to most people. :D

As for banning Enid's books, Sheila Ray's book The Blyton Phenomenon discusses whether this was a fact or not. I think she showed that the books weren't generally banned as such, rather than just not widely stocked.

I went into our main library yesterday, and couldn't spot any EB books on the shelf - then noticed a sign which said that all Enid Blyton books were in a separate section 'Popular Authors'. When I tracked down that section, the Enid Blyton bit was empty. I'm hoping it was because all her books were currently being read. :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Oh dear, I've sometimes said I don't like the Beetles :oops:
I am sure you wouldn't say that to try to sound superior, Katharine! Incidentally, the band spells their name as Beatles!
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I'm not sure I'd like Beetles in the house though... although the driving ones might make good models for display. Unfortunately (or luckily) I'm no coleopterologist ;-).
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Oops, thanks for that Nigel, I thought I'd checked against your post, but I can see you spelled The BeAtles correctly, so I'll blame it on the heat. :wink:

Wolfgang, I think I'd much rather my house was full of the sound of the musical kind rather than the creepy crawlie beetles. :D
Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

:lol: I HATE The Beatles. I quite like their songs covered by other people I find their own recordings very over rated.

That said I know nothing about music. I know more about literature.

I like the theory that people spoke badly about Blyton because kids wouldn't read anything else. She is very addictive and the way her books divide into series make it feel like you have to read the set each time. The Pokémon of her time :P

Katherine - you read the wrong RD books. The BFG, The Witches, Matilda, Danny The Champion of the world and so on are much better

I agree that Elevator and James are not his strongest works. I found Elevator to be his worst because you are desperate to continue the dream of owning a chocolate factory and instead you have these lovely gentle characters being chased by monsters in space.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Chloe, you may be right about me reading the wrong books. The BFG was a favourite of my sister's when she was young, she had the video of it, but I never saw it. I saw an outdoor production of Danny a couple of years ago, and really enjoyed it.

The only other book I read was The Twits - which was a couple of years ago. I can't remember the story now, but I know at the time I thought it absolutely diabolical, and one to put on my 'never ever read again, even if really desperate' pile!

Doesn't sound like Elevator is worth a second read either from your description. I think my son has copies of all Roald Dahl's books, maybe I'll have to borrow some of the other ones you recommend. He much preferred RD to EB.
Society Member
Deej
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Deej »

Daisy & Nigel, thank for clarifying my query.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

If anyone wants to know more about the truth behind the 'banning' of Enid's books, I would thoroughly recommend trying to find a copy of Sheila Ray's book The Blyton Phenomenon. I admit I haven't finished reading my copy yet, but from what I have read, it's a really good book.

It starts off with explaining the reasons why Enid became so popular. For example, I didn't know that a lot of publishing houses were bombed during the war and so lost the printing plates of many of their books. Therefore they had to start from scratch, and Enid was there, with plenty of books to help fill the gap. It also discusses what types of books for children had been available before Enid came along.

The only reason I haven't finished reading this book, is that although it's well written, it is so packed full of facts, quotes etc. that I need a clear head to take it all in, and as I usually only read just before going to sleep, so need something a little more light weight at that time of night.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Deej wrote:Daisy & Nigel, thank for clarifying my query.
You're more than welcome, old thing! :D
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Oh dear, I've sometimes said I don't like the Beatles :oops: Well, I suppose I wouldn't go so far as to say I don't like them, I just can't understand why they are held in such high esteem by people.
I can fully understand people saying they don't like 'pop music'. However, if they do, why wouldn't they like The Beatles? They inspired so many future bands and were a breath of fresh air back in 1963. They encompassed several genres of music. Take a look at these examples:

Love Me Do
Please, Please Me
She Loves You
Bungalow Bill
Something
Let it Be
Blackbird
Fixing a hole
Eleanor Rigby
Yellow Submarine
Glass Onion
Honey Pie
I am the Walrus
Lucy in the Sky with Diamonds
Paperback Writer
Strawberry Fields Forever
The Fool on the Hill
When I'm Sixty-Four
Your Mother Should Know

Just a few from their repertoire. You can't say you don't like those fabulous songs, Katharine! I don't think any other band has contributed so much. :wink:
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sorry Nigel, I've had a good look at the list, but can honestly say I still don't 'get' the popularity of the Beatles.

Admittedly I haven't heard of about half the songs you listed, but of those you have, I actually dislike several of them - Eleanor Rigby, Paperback Writer, Lucy in the Sky, Let It Be, I am the Walrus and Strawberry Fields. I do quite like When I'm 64, and Love me do. I don't mind She Loves You either. Yellow Submarine is also quite catchy, but to me it's a fun kid's song, not a 'proper' bit of pop music.

The only Beatles track I can think of that I really do like, is Yesterday - really beautiful.

I suppose I might like Let It Be, if it hadn't been done to death in my opinion, I'm sure it's dragged out at all kinds of tributes/services etc. Can't think of any examples, but I'm sure I've seen crowds and crowds of people slowly swaying from side to side.

I'm always interested when pop stars of future generations list the Beatles as their inspiration/influence, I can rarely see a connection.

As my pop idols are Jason Donovan and Duran Duran, maybe I'm just musically 'challenged'? :wink:
Society Member
chloe1

Post by chloe1 »

Im with Katherine (and sounds like we are same generation - Jason Donovan SWOON! :lol: )

The Beatles are boring and were liked by people at school who thought it was cool to like them. I am sure if you were around when they first arrived then it must have been awesome to be part of the Beatlemania but if you weren't then whatever. And why Paul McCartney has to be wheeled out for every state event to play Hey Jude - spare me.

But that really is just my opinion. I would never ever knock someone for liking them. They are a huge part of British cultural history. I think Eleanor Rigby is such a beautiful song when played with just the piano and a female voice. I also like When im 64 - they did too many to dislike all of them. Just not my thing.

Katherine read Matilda as your first new RD book. Or maybe the BFG. xxx
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Funnily enough, I really like John Lennon's Imagine and Mull of Kintyre by Wings (Paul McCartney) was the first record I ever bought. I also liked something George Harrison did with another group (can't think what at the moment), so it would seem I prefer The Beatles individually rather than collectively.

When I've time I'll try and see if I can listen to the other songs Nigel listed that I haven't heard yet, maybe I'll like those more?

I have to say, that part of me is a little sad that I can't see the attraction of The Beatles, it's a bit like everyone else roaring with laughter at a joke, and me being the one who has to have it explained to them.

Chloe, thanks for the tip about Matilda, I'll try that one first.
Society Member