Enid was called Granny by her Grandchildren

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Enikyoga

Re: Enid was called Granny by her Grandchildren

Post by Enikyoga »

it is imperative to note that while Enid Blyton loved children, including her grandchildren, Alzheimer's or Dementia for that matter, affected how she related to her grandchildren. This is what Gillian Baverstock, her late eldest daughter, said in an interview with Anne Johnstone at The Edinburgh International Book Festival on 26 August 2006 (just less than a year before her passing):

Anne Johnstone: I think that she (Enid Blyton-my emphasis) dreaded the idea of ever losing her mental faculties and sadly she did eventually succumb to Alzheimer's. How did she cope with that, and how did those around her cope?

Gillian Baverstock: I suppose I noticed it (Alzheimers or Dementia-my emphasis) at Christmas 1961. I was there (Green Hedges-my emphasis) with my husband and all my family. My mother loved my elder daughter and taught her rather as she once taught me, taking her on his knee and reading to her and teaching her things. Suddenly, she turned against this little girl. She was cross with her and shouted at her and wouldn't speak to her and this little two-and-a-half year-old burst into tears. I couldn't bear it. I didn't know what was happening. My husband didn't know what was happening and my poor daughter didn't. At the end of that Christmas I said to my husband, "We can't go down there (Green Hedges-my emphasis). I can't have the children treated like this. Whatever has happened to my mother?" It was at that moment that I realized that she must be really ill, but it was very difficult to do anything because my stepfather wouldn't acknowledge that anything was wrong....Finally she had to go into a home (nursing home-my emphasis). She still knew us, though she didn't know her grandchildren any more.

Stephen I.
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Oh, nice piece Stephen. It's sad, the way she was ill...............................
You can call me Sunskriti!
bavers

Post by bavers »

As one of her grandchildren I can confirm Enid Blyton was Granny. When her daughter, my mother, became a grandmother, she too became Granny. However, perhaps, it is worth noting that as her grandchildren became older the Granny became Gran just as when children become older, Mummy becomes Mum. I suspect, had she (ie Enid Blyton) lived to see her grandchildren as teenagers, she too would have become Gran.

As a side note to the post above. I visited her in the nursing home in 1968, probably a month before she died. She thought I was my sister, her eldest granddaughter, of me she apparently had no recollection - sad but maybe those earlier years with my elder sister were still there within her mind.

Bavers
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Bavers, your recollection of your visit to your grandmother reminds me of a similar event in our family. During her last few weeks my grandmother struggled to remember my mother and aunt, but could remember their older brothers. Later on she would call out names which we think were people she had been to school with some 80 years previously. The only 'recent' addition to the family she seemed to connect with was my daughter who was 2, it was almost as though they were on the same wavelength at some points. It was a sad time for us, but also a fascinating glimpse into the complex workings of the human brain.

I'm sorry that your last visit to your grandmother was a sad occasion, I hope you also have some happier memories of her.
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

It's always nice when a member of the family shares little tidbits. I'm sorry too that your last visit was sad, but I'm sure you have much lovelier memories too. :)

I wonder though, Bavers, what do you feel like, when we discuss Enid's personal life?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

bavers wrote:I visited her in the nursing home in 1968, probably a month before she died. She thought I was my sister, her eldest granddaughter, of me she apparently had no recollection - sad but maybe those earlier years with my elder sister were still there within her mind.
My wife's mother thinks our grandson is our son, and often berates us for leaving him in London! We show her photos and explain he is our grandson - her great-grandson, of course. She remembers when we explain, and fortunately, still knows who we are.

Ming raised a good point:
...what do you feel like, when we discuss Enid's personal life?
I can't think why I have never asked you when we have met.
Society Member
bavers

Post by bavers »

Enikyoga wrote:Gillian Baverstock: I suppose I noticed it (Alzheimers or Dementia-my emphasis) at Christmas 1961...
I believe my mother's reference to Christmas 1961 was incorrect. The way it was always told to me was that this occurred over Christmas 1960. My sister, born March 1958, was then about 2 and half and I was 7 months old. My mother had discussed the issue of sibling rivalry with her mother because she always had feelings of guilt about the way she felt she had treated Imogen. The one thing she wanted was for Sian to be free of these kind of jealous feelings towards me. However, that Christmas, Enid pushed Sian aside, treating her as my mother recalled in 2006, and doted on me.

This had various repercussions. Firstly, my sister reacted very badly, refusing to let my mother leave her alone for any time nor would she be left with anyone else. Secondly, the relationship developing between my sister and myself was certainly not enhanced by the episode. But, perhaps the saddest from the point of view having memories of my grandmother, is that as a result we did not go down to Green Hedges as a family anymore. I did visit, as I expect did my sister and later my brothers, but we would each go down separately with my mother. This was lovely in its way because it gave us individual time with my mother but it was not particularly successful as far as building a relationship with our grandmother. Thus my memory of my grandmother is more of a figure rather than a person - I don't remember doing things with her or having conversations, although as I was only 8 when she died this is probably not surprising.

This obviously leads to what I think about discussions of her personal life. Interested would be the answer because most of my knowledge or understanding about her comes from other people's memories rather than my own. Thus insights by people with knowledge or experience of her helps me to build a more 3 dimentional picture. So please don't feel any inhibitions on my account :)

Bavers
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

bavers wrote: This obviously leads to what I think about discussions of her personal life. Interested would be the answer because most of my knowledge or understanding about her comes from other people's memories rather than my own. Thus insights by people with knowledge or experience of her helps me to build a more 3 dimentional picture. So please don't feel any inhibitions on my account :)
Thank you for saying this, Bavers. I can't imagine what it would feel like should it, for example, be my grandmother who was being discussed publicly by people who didn't know her. Regarding your grandmother, I always cringe when I read derogatory comments that have been based on hear-say or dramas such as Enid. There is a particularly nasty one on the home page message board, to which I felt obliged to reply. Do you feel anger or upset at posts such as those? Or do you shrug it off, especially if you don't have firm memories of your time spent with her?
Society Member
bavers

Post by bavers »

Ok in general I try to brush them off. But given the post referred to I will answer it.

There are only two people who were entitled, in my opinion, to views as to Enid Blyton as a mother and they are my aunt, Imogen, and my mother Gillian. That they had differing views is not, to me, surprising. I imagine my own children have very different views as to me as a mother. I hope they are positive, but motherhood is not, again in my opinion, a one way street. It involves a relationship between two people who may be very different and consequently have different views as to how a given set of circumstances should have been dealt with. There are decisions that Enid made which I, as a mother, would have taken differently but I am/was not her, with her specific circumstances, so who am I to cast the first stone. And sending a child to boarding school is hardly child abuse!

I do have a confession to make. I did not/have not watched "Enid" (2009). I was in fact abroad when it was aired, although I had the opportunity to watch it when I returned. My feelings about such programmes are they are someones else's take on a given set of facts. I am interested in the facts but not particularly in a 3rd party's opinion of those facts. Furthermore by 2009 my mother had died and so I felt it could not reflect all sides of the story anyway.

So I suppose in answer to your question Moonraker, I clearly do not totally shrug it off, I, where possible, avoid it, which seems unfortunately to be a trait that may have come to me from my grandmother. hmm. :oops:
Bavers
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thank you, Bavers. It's lovely when members of Enid Blyton's family feel happy to share thoughts and memories with us. Much appreciated too is the support from the family over the years for the Society and Enid Blyton Days.

I hope you won't come across too many posts that are upsetting in any way. If you do, they were most likely made in a spirit of enquiry rather than with any intention of being disrespectful or malicious. Many of us here are adults who loved Enid Blyton's books as children and still have great affection for them now. We're interested to learn more about Enid Blyton and we accept that she wasn't perfect - after all, who is? She put the best of herself into her books and it's heartening that they still sell well today, entertaining and inspiring children around the world.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Bavers, if you haven't seen 'Enid', then I think it's probably a good idea to avoid seeing it, especially as your mother is no longer here for you to discuss it with her. As you so rightly say, only 2 people are really qualified to say what Enid Blyton was really like as a mother. I have read a couple of accounts written by your mother, but unfortunately haven't had a chance to read the book by your aunt to see the alternative view of Enid as a mother.

I feel saddened at the message by 'Anonymous', as I know a number of other people who watched the programme and came away with a similar (if not as extreme) opinion. Although I've not heard anyone else refer to boarding schools as abuse!!!

Have you ever written, or considered writing an article for the Journal? I know you say your memories of your grandmother are limited as you were quite young, but you might have a few interesting memories you could share with us?
Society Member
Aussie Sue
Favourite book/series: Secret Island, Faraway Tree & FindOuter Series

Post by Aussie Sue »

How I wish people were not so gullible? They watch the movie 'Enid', think they now know Enid and make outrageous comments.

I don't believe it would be possible to find a single person who would appear to be a nice person if we noted down every thing they said or did,that in our opionion, was horrid or not very nice during their whole life and then exaggerated those things as much as we could, and make sure we exclude all good things they have said or done. This is what was done to Enid Blyton in the Enid movie.

After reading some of the horrible comments about Enid after people seeing this movie, I decided I should see it for myself, as my collection is full of letters and other items that prove she is not the person being described. I cried all the way through the movie.

It is very sad that it is possible to do this to someone's life story, just to generate sensational press reviews, and even more so when it is the life of someone who has made such difference to the lives of millions of children around the world.

Aussie Sue
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Aussie Sue wrote: I don't believe it would be possible to find a single person who would appear to be a nice person if we noted down every thing they said or did,that in our opinion, was horrid or not very nice during their whole life...
Funny you should say that, Aussie Sue! I was thinking exactly the same, in bed, earlier. However, how ever (good choice of the same words!) hard I tried, I was still a wonderful person! :D Seriously though, I am sure you are right. Why focus on skeletons anyway? Why not focus on the good that people do?
Bavers wrote:There are only two people who were entitled, in my opinion, to views as to Enid Blyton as a mother and they are my aunt, Imogen, and my mother Gillian.
I'm 100% with you there, Bavers. I wouldn't dream of watching a drama about my mother's life if one should be made.
Anita wrote:It's lovely when members of Enid Blyton's family feel happy to share thoughts and memories with us. Much appreciated too is the support from the family over the years for the Society and Enid Blyton Days.
Amen to that! Thanks, Bavers, for joining in with the discussion.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

And I too would just like to say a big Thank You Bavers for coming here and sharing some of your stories and memories with us. We are all passionate fans of Enid Blyton and it is a privilege for us to be able to chat with a member of the Blyton family. Stupid people will always complain about others who are more successful than themselves but they have done nothing with their lives while your grandmother has created a legacy that has nurtured and entertained countless millions of children worldwide and continues to do so. Long may it continue.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Here, here - couldn't agree more. Thank you, Bavers indeed.

I think the British are still very preoccupied with class as the popularity of Downton Abbey shows in part. Look at all the hoo hah surrounding Kate Middleton and her family too.