Battersea, Chelsea and Beaufort Mansions

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Moonraker

Re: Battersea

Post by Moonraker »

I'm going to Battersea Park and Zoo tomorrow. I think I'll give Enid's old house a miss though. :|
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

You don't know what you are missing! :wink:

Pity you weren't about yesterday though, I'd have dragged you to Beaufort Mansions and got you to take a photo of me outside. :D
Society Member
Darrell71
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Darrell Rivers, Bill Smugs, Kiki, Elizabeth Allen,

Post by Darrell71 »

Is Enid's old house in Battersea?
You can call me Sunskriti!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Yes, Enid spent about the first 6 months or so of her married life in a top floor flat in a street in Battersea.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I think Enid and Hugh lived there longer than that - about 18 months, from August 1924 - February 1926.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Anita, my mental maths obviously isn't working too well this morning!
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I'm afraid staring at houses where once someone famous lived doesn't float my boat! :|

However, we had a splendid day yesterday, spending four hours in Battersea Park, where we had an enjoyable time in the children's zoo (it contained animals, not children). Our little grandson had a whale of a time, and we also explored the park. A beautiful location bordering part of the Thames with which I was not familiar.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

A zoo full of children - now that's an interesting idea. :wink:

I might have considered visiting the zoo at Battersea if I'd had longer, but I only had a couple of hours, and that included getting there and back again. If I get the chance to go back again, hopefully I'll be able to visit the park.

Apart from the fact that Beaufort Mansions was where Enid once lived, I found it interesting just to see an apartment block in that design. I've never seen anything that looked as pleasant. All the flats I'm familiar with are square concrete constructions, designed for practicality, not appearance.
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Katharine wrote:A zoo full of children - now that's an interesting idea. :wink:
Don't they call it Orphanage?
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Re: Battersea, Chelsea and Beaufort Mansions

Following a hospital appointment in London on Wednesday morning, I decided to spend the rest of the day in Chelsea and Battersea so I could see (among other things) the flat where Enid Blyton and Hugh Pollock lived in Beaufort Street. I took the Tube to Sloane Square and walked along King's Road, making a detour now and then to have a look at some grand houses (e.g. in Carlyle Square and Queen's Elm Square) or visit bookshops. One secondhand bookshop proved quite an experience. On entering I was greeted by a member of staff who asked what I was looking for. I mentioned the title of a book I'd quite like to have if I could find one at an affordable price (Beyond the Blue Mountains by L. T. Meade) and the man was very helpful, saying they didn't have it but he'd check if any were available online. While he was checking (and, as expected, could only find some incredibly expensive copies) I was able to do a spot of browsing. I carefully picked up some E. Nesbit first editions but soon put them back when I looked at the price of one and it was more than £300! The shop did have some Blytons (Famous Fives etc.) but they were up on a high shelf and I'd have needed a ladder to reach them, so I couldn't see the prices. On leaving I saw two gleaming cars with blacked-out windows, with smartly-dressed men standing beside them obviously waiting for someone to come out of the bookshop. Unfortunately I hadn't noticed who else was in there, and when two men did emerge and get into the cars I didn't recognise them, so if they were celebrities I'm afraid their fame was lost on me!

Another exclusive-looking bookshop nearby had a notice in the window saying that customers should make an appointment to view the books. It added that people could try ringing the doorbell on the off-chance, but as I seriously doubted I'd be able to buy anything I didn't want to do that, of course!

Back in King's Road, I turned off along Beaufort Street (the section between King's Road and Battersea Bridge) and found Beaufort Mansions. Enid lived at number 32, with her first husband Hugh, from around August 1924 - February 1926. Beaufort Mansions is a stylish red brick Victorian building which runs along a fair stretch of Beaufort Street, and Barbara Stoney tells us that Enid and Hugh had a small, furnished apartment on the top floor. I hope the road wasn't as busy and noisy in the 1920s as it is today - I found it hard to take photos because of tall buses and vans continually going by. A while ago I read Starlight, the autobiography of Hugh Pollock's third wife Ida Crowe. I've mislaid the book, but I seem to remember that Hugh also lived in a flat at Beaufort Mansions with Ida later on.

Battersea Bridge starts at the bottom of Enid's road and is one of three bridges close together along that part of the Thames - Battersea Bridge, Albert Bridge and Chelsea Bridge. I love bridges and all three had something to recommend them, with Albert Bridge being particularly pretty as can be seen from the photos. I'd crossed them all before, but as that was more than twenty years ago I walked across all three again on Wednesday - Albert Bridge twice!

I also spent a couple of hours in Battersea Park - again I hadn't been there for over twenty years. It's a glorious park with lovely views and some extraordinarily friendly herons which come up close and literally pose for photos! I was glad to see the bandstand and Peace Pagoda, both of which I remembered from a long-ago visit. Unfortunately I didn't have a chance to look round the Children's Zoo as I left it till last and reached the gates at 5.35 PM, only to find that it had closed five minutes earlier! Ah well, all the more reason to go back again some day!

A very pleasant area to explore if anyone is thinking of going, though the main roads in Chelsea are terribly congested and the nearest Tube station (Sloane Square) is quite a trek from Beaufort Street (it must be possible to get a bus but I preferred to walk anyway).

Some photos:

Entrance to Beaufort Street

Beaufort Mansions (Enid and Hugh lived at number 32 on the top floor)

Beaufort Mansions

Door leading to various apartments including Enid and Hugh's

Beaufort Mansions

Apartments opposite Beaufort Mansions

View from Battersea Bridge

View of Albert Bridge from Battersea Bridge

Swan sculpture near Battersea Bridge

Battersea Bridge

Albert Bridge

On Albert Bridge

Chelsea Bridge

On Chelsea Bridge

Battersea Park

Peace Pagoda, Battersea Park

Battersea Park

Battersea Power Station from Battersea Park

Bandstand, Battersea Park

Rose garden, Battersea Park

The lake, Battersea Park

Colourful ducks!

Geese and coots

Coot

Pigeons

Heron

Robin

Heron

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Gorgeous Anita! Smashing account and brilliant photographs! Another place to add to my list of places to go and see! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Lovely pictures Anita it looks like you had a great day. I haven't been down that way since the Queen's river pageant last year but it poured rain that day anyway. I actually didn't know about Beaufort Mansions; I will try to check it out next time I am in town. Sloane Square is indeed a bit of a hike from anywhere but like you I always prefer to walk around London if possible. There are always lots of interesting street scenes going on in and around Chelsea.

I wouldn't have dared ring the bell of that exclusive bookshop myself either. I would imagine they would be less than pleased to see some penniless browser like me wasting their valuable time. :lol:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Fantastic photos, Anita. :D I particularly like the ones of the herons and the rose garden in Battersea Park.
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Anita, I really enjoyed reading about your trip around Battersea. Especially as it brought back pleasant memories of my own trips of earlier this year, which I never got around to writing about. I never visited Battersea Park, but wish I had now. I really enjoyed seeing your photos.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Thanks. Battersea Park is a lovely place to visit if you get the chance, Katharine and Stef.
Lucky Star wrote:I haven't been down that way since the Queen's river pageant last year but it poured rain that day anyway.
I thought of your Jubilee outing the other week, John, when I went to St. Katharine Docks and saw the Queen's Jubilee barge moored there.
Lucky Star wrote:Sloane Square is indeed a bit of a hike from anywhere but like you I always prefer to walk around London if possible. There are always lots of interesting street scenes going on in and around Chelsea.
Yes, if you explore an area on foot you're able to see more and soak up the atmosphere. And you can stop and have a proper look at things, or deviate from your planned route if something catches your eye down a side road.

In Chelsea, Hill House International Junior School appealed to me because of the thoughtful motto written in gold letters on a board - "A child's mind is not a vessel to be filled but a fire to be kindled":

A shoe shop called R. Soles in King's Road caught my eye firstly because of the figure on a bicycle, and secondly because of the ...er... imaginative name!:

Oh, and these houses up a side street just looked delightful:

Society Member