Battersea, Chelsea and Beaufort Mansions

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Katharine

Battersea, Chelsea and Beaufort Mansions

Post by Katharine »

Next week I have 2 hours by myself in Battersea. Does anyone know the area and can suggestion how I should spend this time? I'd hate to get home and find I'd missed out on a great secondhand bookshop!
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Re: Battersea

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

There's the Battersea Dogs Home. That's probably where I'd spend two free hours! :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I wonder how many dogs you'd want to bring home with you Julie!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I wondered if anyone would suggest the dog's home. I'm not really a dog lover though. I suppose if I can't find anything else to do, I'd better take a good book with me, hopefully I'd be able to find a quiet spot somewhere.
Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

There is always the flower market, more towards Vauxhall, but only a short walk from Battersea. I've done that walk a few times. There is also a very nice Thames Walk.
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

I've been to Battersea a few times in the last few years because I've driven a friend to some school reunions, mostly in and around the vicinity of Clapham Junction. Obviously it's been at night - but a Battersea housing estate remains the only place I've ever seen a fox in real life! To be honest, I wouldn't mind looking around Clapham Junction itself as it's the largest station in Britain.

In the daytime, I've been with my sister a few times to Battersea Park which involves a nice walk by the Thames.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Katharine wrote:Next week I have 2 hours by myself in Battersea.
Poor you! I'd find a pub and pretend you're somewhere else! :wink:
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Daisy wrote:I wonder how many dogs you'd want to bring home with you Julie!
If I saw them, probably all of them, Daisy. But you've seen the new downsized Owl's Dene, so I don't think I'd fit them all in! :lol:

8)

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Stephen wrote:I've been with my sister a few times to Battersea Park which involves a nice walk by the Thames.
I haven't been there for over twenty years but yes, it's a pretty park and it's fun to walk across the bridges over the Thames. Once you've crossed the Thames from the park it's not far to 32, Beaufort Mansions, Chelsea, where Enid and Hugh lived in a top-floor apartment when they first got married. I've never seen the building but Barbara Stoney describes it as "a red-brick block of Victorian mansion flats, between the Embankment and the King's Road."

Edit: Just did a spot of Googling and it's in Beaufort Street:

http://search.knightfrank.com/CHL120285" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

May a bit out of reach in a two hour visit,but Enid Blyton was a governess to a Surbiton family for four years from 1918, at a house called 'Southernhay', on the Hook Road.

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the suggestions folks. The river walks sound lovely, but I don't think I'll do those as I'll be on my own.

Stephen, I've been warned there's a particularly bad housing estate in the area, I don't know if that's the one where you saw a fox though! In fact I've been warned about the area in general by a couple of people, so I'm a little apprehensive about going.

At the moment I think Anita's suggestion of the flat in Chelsea sounds the most appealing option, although I'll have to see if it's achievable in the time I've got. My knowledge of London is virtually zero, so I've no idea how close anywhere is. Also I'll be in heels rather than sensible walking footwear which will slow me down a bit, but I'm definitely going to see if I can manage Beaufort Street.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Personally I wouldn't worry about going to that area alone - there are sure to be plenty of people about in the main streets and the park, and on the bridges. What is a bit of a pain is that Battersea and Chelsea are not well served by the Tube network. From memory, Battersea Park is about a 15-20 minute walk from the nearest Tube station.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks for the info Anita. My limited experience of London is the City end, and I was left with a general feeling of pushing/shoving, every man/car for himself.

We've been advised the nearest station is Clapham Junction which is 15 minutes from where we need to be (very close to the park I think). However I think I've managed to find a bus which will take us most of the way. Normally I'd wouldn't think twice about walking that distance, but we'll have luggage with us, so the bus seems a better option.

Still keen on the Beaufort Street visit if I can, must make sure I take a camera.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I have a DVD of Gideon' s Way, and one of the episodes on that shows Battersea Power station and all around the fun fair!!! Of course it was in black and white in the 60's. I guess it's all a bit different these days! And of course there was a murder in that particular episode, but don't let that put you off, Katharine! :lol: :lol:

8)

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Thanks Julie!!!! I noticed on the news this week there was a murder of a during rushhour in Victoria station which is where I'll need to catch a connecting train from. I've also been told that Clapham Junction was where a lot of the riots two years ago were. :shock:

:?
Society Member