Was Enid not writing her own books?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Moonraker

Re: Was Enid not writing her own books?

Post by Moonraker »

Me too, along with William and Jennings! Give it a try, Chrissie! :D
Society Member
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Sorry Chrissie I shouldn't assume that you would have heard of a purely
British series of Public School stories that were written between 1908
and 1961. He was known to have published more words than any other
writer - the equivalent of well over 1000 books. They were schoolboy
stories that covered the themes of good and bad behaviour. A few of the
characters exhibited both and were usually the most interesting.
Society Member
Chrissie777
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Adventure Series, Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Jack Trent

Post by Chrissie777 »

Lucky Star wrote: He is a very fat schoolboy whose misadventures and tireless efforts to get out of anything and everything resembling physical exercise kept millions of children entertained for decades. Forever borrowing money against the imminent arrival of a postal order he is usually in some form of trouble or other with the long suffering Mr Quelch, his form master. The books are well worth reading if you can get hold of them. Like Blyton's books they were written decades ago and reflect the times they were written in but the humour is pretty timeless. I loved Bunter.
Then I must mix up the character with another series of children's books from the US that JFK loved when he was little (so these books must have been published in the US around WW I or even long before that as JFK was born around 1917). It was actually about a goat, not a human being. And the name sounded similar. Something with Billy...cannot remember the last name though. That's why I cannot google it, Nigel :).
Chrissie

Society Member

"For me, the cinema is not a slice of life, but a piece of cake."
Alfred Hitchcock
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Who is Billy Bunter?
That's what I meant you to Google, Chrissie! :wink:
Society Member
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

Chrissie777 wrote:
Francis wrote:
Hi Francis,

Who is Billy Bunter?
I guess Chrissie wanted a direct answer to her question. Billy Bunter is a fictional schoolboy in a fictional Greyfriars schhool. The Billy Bunter series was created by Charles Hamilton who wrote the series under the pseudonym, Frank Richards. Yes, as one forumite has already pointed out, he is the most prolific writer of all times.
Stephen I.
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Hi Stephen,

Even more prolific than the author from the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books? From what I've heard, he wrote hundreds of books as well.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Moonraker wrote: That's what I meant you to Google, Chrissie! :wink:
Hi Nigel,

Yes, actually I did understand you the first time :). But I still have no clue which children's books with another Billy JFK loved so much when he was little.
In case somebody knows, please let me know.
I found out about these old US children's books in 1988 when visiting JFK's birth place in Beal's Street, Brookline, MA. Even though I read dozens of biographies on his life, these children's books were not mentioned in any of them. Rose Kennedy was not happy about the fact that he enjoyed reading them, she found them too profane which reminded me of my own parents who disliked the fact that I was hooked on Blyton books.
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Chrissie777 wrote: Even more prolific than the author from the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books?
Both those series were written by a host of different authors under the management of the Stratmeyer (sp?) syndicate.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

On Sept. 6th, 2012 Katharine wrote:

In Journal No. 2 there is an article about a series of 12 little books. From my understanding of this article these books were French stories which were translated into English and just had Enid's name added to them.

Taking just a handful of books there's 'Sandle Brothers,' printed in the Netherlands, "A Sunshine Picture Story Book" published by World Distributors printed in the Netherlands, "Enid Blyton's Gift Books" also printed in the Netherlands, and "Little Gift Books" from Hackett's in London/Sydney. To make things more complicated, "Scamp and Caroline" has London/Sydney plus Blackie-London-Glasgow printed inside! "What Shall I Be" is 'Copyright 1953 by Librairie Hachette,' so confusion can reign very happily amongst the publishing credits associated with some of the short story books.

Way back in July of 1998 I wrote to the EBS about a couple of tales ("Colin the Cowboy" and "The Three Sailors"), and the multiplicity of series-titles and publishers involved with Blyton's vast collection is again touched upon.

Tony replied - "Colin the Cowboy was published by Collins as one of twelve Wonder Colour Books in 1956 although I believe it was published as a Hackett Gift Book in Australia, so possibly in New Zealand as well. It is a 'grey area' as to whether E.B. wrote them or just translated them (lent her name!)."

That's a good point because the script in "Colin the Cowboy" tends to mimic a school reader in the way it's written. Sample:

"Suddenly a shout is heard.
'Beware! A mad bull has escaped!'
Red-Feather throws his lasso at once - and so does Colin.
The bull is caught!
Well done, Red Feather, well done Colin!"

"And now it is time for Colin to go back home.
'Goodbye, Indians!' he says.
'Goodbye, Red-Feather! I'll come back and see you again one day soon. Goodbye!'"

Overall, the story doesn't seem to have EB's "imprint" so the suggestion that some of the books were not written by her is welcome fodder for those perpetrators of the "scandalous" allegations emerging in the 'fifties ... allegations that every single one of us disbelieved!

"Enid may not have written all of her stories!"

What a 'shock' that was!

Her output was so massive that the "Ghost Writer" rumours persisted until court proceedings round the '56 mark appeared to stifle the derisive librarians and school teachers.

Hunt out the above-related booklets and decide for yourselves. "EB's My Book of Fables" 1953 Hachette, or "EB's Favourite Book of Fables" 1955 Collins (The Cave's version) can be included.

As far as "The Three Sailors" goes, it's an abridged copy of a similarly titled tale in "EB's Gay Story Book" but please don't tell me they were altering the scripts as far back as "1967." They've changed the names of the children from Tom, Joan and Eric, to John, Mary and Tony!
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Yes, a lot of people has said that she doesn't always write her own stuf. But why the rumors???
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Poppy
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Adventure Series/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: George Kirrin, Andy, Jack Trent & Diana.

Post by Poppy »

Fiona1986 wrote:People have always said that she didn't write all her own stuff - that no-one could write as many books and stories that fast. There's never been any proof that anyone else has ever written anything for her. She kept meticulous records as well, noting what she wrote and when, who it was for and what she was paid.
This earlier post might help you, honesty! :D
"Beware of young men with long hair - that's what dad says, isn't it?"
Pat, Holiday House

Poppy's Best of Books

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Thanks Poppy, you've saved me repeating myself now!
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Domino

Post by Domino »

Chrissie, I think the books you were confusing with "Billy Bunter" were "Billy Butter" by Berta and Elmer Hader.

They were essentially illustrators but wrote children's books to feature their illustrations.

Domino
Last edited by Domino on 20 Apr 2013, 11:35, edited 1 time in total.
He called the greatest archers to a tavern on the green.

Society Member
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Poppy wrote:This earlier post might help you, honesty! :D
Thanks Poppy!!! :D
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton
Chrissie777

Post by Chrissie777 »

Domino wrote:Chrissie, I think the books you were confusing with "Billy Bunter" were "Billy Butter" by Berta and Elmer Hader.
They were essentially illustrators but wrote children's books to feature their illustrations.
Domino
Domino, I just did another search and finally found it: JFK loved the Billy Whiskers books about a mischievous goat.
Frances Trego Montgomery is the author (I wonder why I didn't find it when I googled it a few weeks ago?):

http://childlit.unl.edu/topics/edi.jimcrow.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Chrissie

Society Member

Alfred Hitchcock