Hugh = Goon?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Green Hedges

Hugh = Goon?

Post by Green Hedges »

Here's something that I hope will bring pleasure to a few readers: http://www.enidblyton.me.uk/styled-6/index.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There's a marriage mentioned in the piece. Anyone with experience of tracing registry details? Hugh Pollock's son Alistair (christened Edward Alistair, I think) married, probably in Scotland, probably between 1945 and 1948. Alistair's mother's name was Marion Pollock (born Atkinson). It would be good to know the actual date of that union.

Ah, but that's just a detail. First there is the bigger picture to take on board...
Gary

Re: Hugh = Goon?

Post by Gary »

That was very interesting thank you.
sayantani

Post by sayantani »

Duncan
Kudos.That is brilliantly written.
I am more convinced by this strand of your writing here, than in your book.
I do believe as something of a scribbler myself that milieus and environs including personal relationships can heavily influence a writer.
I also do agree with you that The Find-outers are possibly Enid's least sunniest work.Goon is certainly a brutal satire inspired character, and maybe he did have shades of Hugh.
Miss Pepper

Post by Miss Pepper »

Thank you ever so much Green Hedges for your latest work.
I have ordered your book,Looking for Enid and am looking forward to reading it.Thank You
Anna Lou
Favourite book/series: F.F.,Barney Mysteries,Adventure,Find-Outers,Malory
Favourite character: Julian, Snubby, Fatty

Post by Anna Lou »

Another excellent blog entry, thanks. I'd say I was in the amused/open-minded camp after reading your book but I'm more convinced now. I feel a link seems likely, whether on a conscious level or just through the workings of Enid's 'undermind'.

I also read Starlight recently and found it fascinating. Previously, when I'd read about Hugh's drinking I hadn't imagined it to be such a serious problem. It certainly makes you more sympathetic towards Enid over the break-up of their marriage.
honesty
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: George Kirrin/Julian/Timmy

Post by honesty »

Very interesting blog Green Hedges.
I think Hugh Pollock did have a personality that was like Mr. Goon's.
“If you can't look after something in your care, you have no right to keep it.”-Enid Blyton
“I think people make their own faces, as they grow.”-Enid Blyton