When "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay"

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
tix

When "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay"

Post by tix »

[b]Oh, Memories That Bless and Burn[/b]

From a Reader in Newport Pagnell, (Bucks):

I saw a bunch of cowslips in a neighbour’s window yesterday, and the pages of my book of memory turned back to more than thirty years ago: to the long sunny days when, as a small girl, I would ramble through the fields, and the nightingale, thrush and blackbird would sing in the woods nearby. We could look through our windows and see meadows ablaze with buttercups.

I remember one blue and golden day when, with my brother and sister, we took our lunch to the woods and gathered violets and primroses, and in the evening came home, tired but happy with that quiet content that only the peace of a wood can bring.

As we walked through the last meadow the sky was painted with crimson and gold, and the old house stood like a shining palace. Coming to meet us was our dear mother; to this day I can see her smile and remember my girl-joy at the sight of her dear face. She has passed over now, but, oh, to re-live that day!

Reply:

You know, lady, your letter brought back memories to us Old Codgers of just such days of our own childhood. We have always thanked God that to us was given the boon of having spent our childhood among the green and golden countryside. We would wish that every child could do so. There, one is nearer to peace and to perfection than anywhere else. The country child is nigh always a happy child.

I read the above in a newspaper published during the week leading up to the Queen's Coronation, from a writer who appears to have been living in Blyton territory.

The letter conjured up scenes that Enid Blyton described and Eileen Soper drew, of innocent days long gone, but still appreciated by thousands of children and the Young in Heart to this very day.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: When "Our Hearts Were Young and Gay"

Post by Lucky Star »

Very nice and so true. :D
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

tiq wrote:Oh, Memories That Bless and Burn
The letter conjured up scenes that Enid Blyton described and Eileen Soper drew, of innocent days long gone, but still appreciated by thousands of children and the Young in Heart to this very day.
Great writing. Good on you too, for doing what no-one else can do - using correct BB code/brackets, and it stays in code without transferring to bold type (as it has in my quote)!
Society Member
tix

Post by tix »

Moonraker wrote on Sept 28th, 2011:

Good on you too, for doing what no-one else can do - using correct BB code/brackets, and it stays in code

It's just a skill I possess.

But seriously -

The heavy print has worked in your case and that's because you understand computers and the relevant technology involving "slants" and "bolds" and "underlines," and I don't.

As Basil Fawlty said when a bottle of wine magically appeared on a diner's table,

"How did you (bold)do(bold) that?"