Sue MacGregor Interviews Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Sue MacGregor Interviews Enid Blyton

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for the link, Eljay, though I don't get why the article is written in such a strange "I couldn't really be bothered writing this but my editor made me do it" style. :?
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Enikyoga

Re: Sue MacGregor Interviews Enid Blyton

Post by Enikyoga »

Eljay wrote:Seems it was an impromptu interview. MacGregor refers to it in her autobiography, 'condensed' version here: http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2002/ma ... gestedread" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

If she cheekily turned up unannounced on Enid's doorstep with a tape recorder, that - as well as Enid's growing dementia - would explain why this interview sounds rushed and, well, not very good (as MacGregor apparently admits in her book). So not good that it remained unbroadcast for several years.

I must buy the book to see what else she says about her encounter with Enid.
Eljay, I do agree with you. This must indeed have been an impromptu interview for it is hardly mentioned a lot unlike the one that had been conducted by Marjorie Anderson (http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/voices/pro ... one1.shtmI" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;) (I failed to pull up its URL here, you can google it since it is a very popular interview) almost exactly three years earlier. In that rare interview, Enid Blyton talked about her favourite character being George as well as a couple of her inspirations and writing methods. It is little wonder I dubbed it Enid Blyton's "Farewell" interview in the foreword to my book, The Famous Five: A Personal Anecdotage as no major public interview of her (maybe with the exception of that "inconsequential" MacGregor interview) was ever conducted.
Stephen I.