Enid On Holiday

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: Enid On Holiday

Post by Fiona1986 »

Odd, I was able to view the second set of images earlier today, but I'm now getting the same error as from the first set. Probably is something to do with not being signed in to the site.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Seems a bit odd. I could view them earlier and can still view them now. Very interesting Maurenn, thanks for posting.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Maureen1954
Favourite book/series: Famous Five
Favourite character: All of the Famous Five

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Folks!!

Sorry if any of you are having issues with seeing the images.

I will send a PM to Anita and sort out with her to post the images better,thats if Anita doesn't mind :P

Cheers and Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm afraid I honestly don't know how to improve the links so everyone can access the images, Maureen. :(
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hi Anita!!

I will try again and see if there is another method I ac use on Ancestry to post on here and thank you!!!

Cheers and Gingerbeers

Maureen
Famous Five Forever!!!
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

If you have the pictures up on ancestry you may be able to save them to your computer. Failing that you can probably take a screen shot.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Famous Five Forever!!!
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Famous Five Forever!!!
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Sorry, those just take me to a sign-up page.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Famous Five Forever!!!
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Famous Five Forever!!!
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Hope it works now and fingers crossed!!! :mrgreen:
Famous Five Forever!!!
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Well I could see them this time! They're not as clear as before though, it was more difficult to read the entries.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Maureen1954

Post by Maureen1954 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:While looking through Barbara Stoney's Biography for something else, I came across a reference to a holiday in Bournemouth with Hugh Pollock. While Enid Blyton was pregnant with Gillian in 1931, she and Hugh "decided to take an extended Easter holiday at Bournemouth".
As Anita quotes the above month from Barbara Stoneys Bipgraphy,Easter in this year fell on April 5th 1931.On May 20th about a month late Enid wrote a letter in the "Teachers World about this holiday!!

It is in the EBS Journal No 1 Summer 1996 edition and lucky me found it to buy from Sue Bell who is a EBS member and has a bookshop ....http://www.greenmeadowbooks.co.uk below is the content of the letter....

Norman Wright who wrote the article does "quote"

"For our first reprint I have chosen a letter from 1931 in which Enid talks of a ruined castle she has recently come across while on her way home from holiday.She does not mention the castle by name but the rather smudgy photograph printed with the letter undoubtably depicts Corfe Castle in Dorset.
In the letter she mentions the jackdaws etc. and the tame rabbitsand one is instantly reminded of descripions of Kirrin Castle in the Fives books.Since I was a small child and first visited Corfe Castle I had always had the opinion that Enid based Kirrin Castle on Corfe Castle and this letter strenghtens my view.
The photograph that accompanies the letter in Teachers World is too poorly printed to be reproduced here,but a drawing of the castle is included to help you give a magical feel of the place"

Below is Enids Letter

Dear Boys & Girls,
As I drove along in my little I saw,far away in the distance,a rounded hill,and on it was a ruin of an old,old castle.I took the first road that led to it and soon came to the hill.On the very top where the remains of the castle itself.Round the slopes where the battlements with their slit-like windows.At the bottom of the hill was a deep ditch which once upon a time had held water and formed a moat all round the castle.
I sat down in the sunshine and looked up at the old ruin.How I wished I could see back through a few hundred years and know exactly what the castle looked like when it was a real castle and not a ruin,when there where knights in jingling armour riding over the drawbridge,and when ladies in flowing robes walked o and fro on the grass beyond the battlements! I imagined a time when enemies rode against the castle and its owner and when archers peered through the slit-like windows and shot their deadly arrows downwards.I thought of what a dreadful time it must have been when gunpowder was used against the strong walls,and blew them away to pieces,when for the last time weeping women hurried from their castle home,and strong men laid down their weapons and walked form the gates as prisoners.Then year by year the old place fell into ruin,and no longer was their sound of laughing voices,the clank of armour or the neighing of horses.
"Now" I thought "the old castle is alone and forgotten.No one lives there,no one loves it" - but I was quite wrong; for suddenly I noticed hundreds of jackdaws sitting on the walls and squatting in the holes.Then I heard their harsh voices as they quarrelled with one another or called their mates." Chack! they cried "Chack,chack!"I saw that in the walls there where hundreds and hundreds of holes,where once upon a time timbers had rested to make floors and ceilings.In each hole was a jackdaw's nest; there was not one I could see that had a black and grey head peeping out from it. The castle had may more creatures in it and calling it theor home than ever it had long ago!
The a sandy rabbit popped out of a hole in the grass just by my foot,and when he saw that I made no movement he frisked right by me.Out came others and still others,till a sudden clamour from the jackdaws and flutter of wings frightened them,and back they went again." Ha!" I thought, "I was wrong! The old castle isnt a bit lonely or forgotten! it likes to dream by itself in the sun,and know that the jackdaws and rabbits love to be around it - maybe it likes them better than it does people,who bring guns and blow its grand wall walls to bits!"
Now I must hurry back to my little car,for I am on my way home and I am longing to see Bobs and Sandy again,and to fetch Pat and Bimbo from the kennelman who is looking after them.
Much love to you all,from
Enid Blyton

I wonder if Tony or someone has a copy of the above Teachers World where the photo is an could possibly scan and post it here please???

Re Enid holidaying in Bournemouth in 1931 Enid must have drove about maybe up to one hour or less to get to Corfe Castle which is West from Bournemouth and then headed North up to Bourne End o return home.
Famous Five Forever!!!
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Thank you for printing this Maureen. Izzy and I visited Corfe Castle a
month ago on a lovely sunny day and just looking at this iconic ruin reminded
me of Kirrin Castle. You can clamber over the huge ruin with its' wonderful
views and see the Jackdaws. There were not many rabbits as there were too many
people with dogs but I am sure they came out after they left.
Society Member