I thought Enid was a man

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
MysteryOfTheGreatAuk
Favourite book/series: Adventure series
Favourite character: Jack (Adventure)

I thought Enid was a man

Post by MysteryOfTheGreatAuk »

Hi all. As a non-English speaker I thought Enid was a man when I was a kid! I dont know where that belief came from. I think it was Barbara Stoney´s (English) biography I found at the library that helped me to find out it´s a lady!

Is the name Enid common in the UK? Other English speaking countries? Or is it known as "old fashioned name"? Is there any other famous person called Enid? I dont know any. Thanks. 8)
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Re: I thought Enid was a man

Post by Fiona1986 »

I also thought Enid was a man at first, as I misread her signature as Guide Blotton....

Enid isn't a particularly common name nowadays, so I suppose you could call it old fashioned.

Can't think of any other famous Enids and a google search comes up with Blyton, Blyton, Blyton.....
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Enid is a very ancient name, but not popular now. An early reference is Prince Geraint and the Sparrowhawk which is one of the Arthurian Legends and is therefore at least one, if not two, thousand years old. Enid Blyton must have had great fun re-writing theis story, which we can read in Tales of Brave Adventure where she describes Enid as the fairest maiden the prince had ever seen. :lol:

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
hope189
Favourite book/series: Five findouters and dog
Favourite character: George and Fatty

Post by hope189 »

I used to think that Enid was a man too as the name was quite new to me.
"Hope springs eternal in the human breast"
-Alexander Pope, An Essay on Man
dsr

Post by dsr »

I know 2 Enids, both born in the 1930's. (Or thereabouts - I haven't asked them.)
DSR
Laura
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty (so original!)

Post by Laura »

I had a great-great aunt called Enid, who was born in 1902, so not that much younger than Blyton. I doesn't seem to be used by people nowadays, though.
Society Member

Nothing is impossible for the man who doesn't have to do it himself.
Stephen

Post by Stephen »

So did I! :oops:

I did know an Enid - my first school headmistress in fact. At a rough guess I'd say she was born in the 1920s. She was a stern, austere, slightly scary, yet ultimately kind and fair lady. And as much as a cliche as it might sound, just like you might imagine Miss Grayling to be.

I'd love to know what became of her.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I met an Enid in work a few days ago. She was in her eighties though so, as others have said I think the name has simply died out a bit. Many names do come back into fashion though so maybe there is hope yet.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

As much as I love Enid Blyton I just couldn't imagine calling any daughter I may have Enid. Maybe as a middle name....
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
adventuregirl
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series/Famous Five Series/Secret Series
Favourite character: Jack and Lucy-Ann Trent, George Kirrin, Timmy

Post by adventuregirl »

I thought so too! I'd never heard the name before - I believe it is fairly old fashioned. I think it was my older brother who sneered at me for referring to Enid as a man. He made me feel quite stupid, lol.
Enikyoga

Post by Enikyoga »

From the beginning of reading Enid Blyton's books in 1970, I had never at any time thought of the word, "Enid" as being that of a man. Maybe, this is because of the nature and circumstances in which I was introduced to Enid Blyton's books by a couple of my siblings (who first knew about Enid Blyton before I did, pretty much later on), I was of the impression, from the time I first heard about "Enid Blyton" as being a woman's name rather than being that of a man. However, it is the name "Richmal Crompton" that was to baffle me for three decades. Many of us that read the Williams series in the early 70s originally thought that Richmal Crompton was a man. It was only three decades later, in 1999, thanks to the then primitive Internet interactions, that I first learnt that Richmal Crompton was a woman rather than a man!!!
Stephen I.
Fiona1986

Post by Fiona1986 »

Richmal Crompton is a woman??? (Never read the William books but always assumed a name so close to Richard........actually when you look at them together its not that similar is it???)

This reminds me of the time I realised that Glen Close is also female....... I'd always seen the name and thought 'man'.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I too thought Richmal Crompton was a man, mainly because I thought that only men wrote stories about boys like William. By the way congratulations Enikyoga on making a post that did not feature the dreaded words in my b............... :D :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Eddie Muir
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Eddie Muir »

Lucky Star wrote:By the way congratulations Enikyoga on making a post that did not feature the dreaded words in my b............... :D
Hear! Hear! :lol:
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

And of course there is that well known authoress, George Eliot.
Society Member