Enid's miscarriage

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Enid's miscarriage

Post by Belly »

I was surprised and saddened when I read about Enid's miscarriage aged 48 in Imogen Smallwood's 'A Childhood at Green Hedges'. Imogen writes 'it was a boy..it was old enough for them to be able to tell'.

Imogen tells us how one Easter holidays Enid climbed a ladder to get apples from a garage loft (even though Kenneth had told her not to) and had a fall: 'halfway up she suddenly cried out and fell landing in a crumpled heap on the concrete floor'. This fall brought on a miscarriage.

This pregnancy must have been a shock and as Imogen says 'she would have been aware of the high risk of giving birth to a child with a defect at her age; and her books were still the most important part of her life together with her husband'. Imogen goes on 'could it possibly be that she had decided in her ruthless and practical way that the child should not be born'? What do people think? Imogen adds 'no one will ever know the answers..but they have been asked before' again I wonder by whom?

Imogen ends a paragraph with 'Perhaps the real question is whether the birth of a son would have belatedly unlocked her mothering instinct. I, who let her down so completely, like to think that it would'. An interesting question and I personally fail to see how Imogen let her mother down at all. I think Imogen's book is well written and gives an interesting insight into Enid's life from her perspective. Wondered what others thought about this little known event?
Tony Summerfield

Re: Enid's miscarriage

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This miscarriage will soon not be classed as a little-known event as it is mentioned in the forthcoming film.
Belly

Post by Belly »

That's interesting, thanks. I wonder what 'line' the film will take?
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

You will have to wait and see, Julia, I don't think I can say any more at present. Incidentally I think in retrospect Imogen felt that she had got the date wrong in her book, and Enid was actually 47 and not 48.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks again Tony. I saw a brief magazine interview and a photo of Helena Bonham Carter recently, she mentioned her part in the Blyton film and another I think where she appears as a younger woman.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I can understand that Enid Blyton might have been in two minds about the pregnancy but I can't imagine for one minute that she would have considered throwing herself off a ladder/doing something risky in order to induce a miscarriage. After all, there would be no guarantee that a fall would result in the death of the baby. And it could have ended in having to go through the remainder of the pregnancy with broken bones, or even in permanent disability.

I agree that Imogen Smallwood's book sheds a great deal of light on Enid Blyton generally though, and on life at Green Hedges which appears to have been stifling and lonely in some respects for the two girls, Imogen in particular.

Edit: Thinking about things a little more, perhaps it was sheer stubbornness that made Enid climb the ladder against advice, even though she was at that time at least five months pregnant? Maybe she was adamant that, as far as possible, pregnancy wasn't going to stop her doing the things she normally did, and in her determination to prove herself capable she even went out of her way to do extra?

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

I tend to agree with you, Anita. It seems unlikely.

What seems odd is that Imogen would consider this at all if there were not good reason (she seems very plausible and rational throughout the book and generally). She says others have asked these questions and seems puzzled: 'why did she go to get the apples herself on this occasion, when normally someone else would have done it for her?'

Is it possilbe Enid was suffering from depression or despair about the situation in which she found herself so did not think rationally and threw herself down from the ladder? A cry for help or a temporary moment of madness rather than deliberately trying to bring on a miscarriage.
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I've recently re-read Barbara Stoney's biography and in it she says.." They were both overjoyed at the prospect of a child and were bitterly disappointed when, five months later, following a fall, she miscarried. 'The tragedy is', Enid wrote later to a friend, 'it would have been the son Kenneth wanted so badly.' " If she knew all along of Kenneth's keenness for a child of his own I can't believe she would deliberately have gone about to try to remove it. Surely with all her wealth by that time she would have been able to get whatever help she needed so she could get on with her writing? I haven't read Imogen's book so am unable to make any observations on what she said. I hope to remedy that one day.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks, Daisy that gives a different slant. Interesting to know she was 5 months pregnant and very sad. I would recommend Imogen's book which also has some great photos of the garden at Green Hedges and other family photos.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Just read your edit, Anita, that seems very believable.
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I personally got the feeling that Enid did it in a temporary fit of frustration, her mind unusually clear and set on her objective. It wasn't deliberate.

What they will show in Enid Blyton - is it likely to be a 'true' 'solution', Tony?

Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Daisy wrote:I've recently re-read Barbara Stoney's biography and in it she says.." They were both overjoyed at the prospect of a child and were bitterly disappointed when, five months later, following a fall, she miscarried. 'The tragedy is', Enid wrote later to a friend, 'it would have been the son Kenneth wanted so badly.' " If she knew all along of Kenneth's keenness for a child of his own I can't believe she would deliberately have gone about to try to remove it. Surely with all her wealth by that time she would have been able to get whatever help she needed so she could get on with her writing? I haven't read Imogen's book so am unable to make any observations on what she said. I hope to remedy that one day.
Was thinking about this last night. Does give another side to this but only if Enid was being honest in her letter and about her feelings. Sometimes she wasn't.....

Despite being able to afford help a baby would have been an upheaval and Enid would have felt a pressure to at least appear like an involved, loving mother to the outside world. She may have had maternal instincts awaken as Imogen suggests also though...
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Anita Bensoussane wrote:...perhaps it was sheer stubbornness that made Enid climb the ladder against advice, even though she was at that time at least five months pregnant? Maybe she was adamant that, as far as possible, pregnancy wasn't going to stop her doing the things she normally did, and in her determination to prove herself capable she even went out of her way to do extra?
Exactly what George Kirrin would have done too, as George was supposed to be based on Enid, it seems very fitting, to me.
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

Moonraker wrote:
Anita Bensoussane wrote:...perhaps it was sheer stubbornness that made Enid climb the ladder against advice, even though she was at that time at least five months pregnant? Maybe she was adamant that, as far as possible, pregnancy wasn't going to stop her doing the things she normally did, and in her determination to prove herself capable she even went out of her way to do extra?
Exactly what George Kirrin would have done too, as George was supposed to be based on Enid, it seems very fitting, to me.
Makes sense to me too but why didn't this cross Imogen's mind? She knew her better than us after all.
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Some interesting points. I think most pregnant women would guard against any kind of activity that could harm their unborn child. So we can only guess what made Enid do such a dangerous act of putting the child in danger.

I'm sure she must have gone through the normal torturous emotions that come after a miscarriage, and the questions one can't get answered but you are so desperately in need to know why. What a sad time. I've had two such sad times :(

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member