There is this unspoken assumption

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Re: There is this unspoken assumption

Post by 70s-child »

Yak wrote: But I really think that some small things do need to be changed. I don't want to see books in a store featuring a gollywog called 'Nigger'. Why does it have to be, to some people , all or nothing? Why not just change the most obviously hurtful bits and leave the rest?
Interesting question. My position on this is unequivocal though politically informed - no matter how offended or hurt you are, if you believe in freedom of speech and expression, you do not tolerate censorship or banning in any form whatsoever. There are ways and ways of expressing dissent or offense, but censorship is not one of them. To me, even one exception to this basic principle, no matter how trivial it may seem, is opening up a pandora's box. To give you just one example: in a disgraceful act of politicking, India banned Salman Rushdie's Satanic Verses and the political and social consequences, not simply for the author, but the country as a whole, was disastrous.

But even if this weren't the case, the idea of expunging words and phrases from texts that were written in a different historical period does seem rather quaint to me. Seen through 21st century norms and values, nearly every historical text, regardless of its country of origin, will be offensive (and who knows what 21st century texts will look like to future generations). You can hardly alter every one of them.

But I am also curious about the public debate, if any, that might have surrounded the revision of EB's texts. I am guessing it has the sanction of UK law, because otherwise surely it would have invited lawsuits (??). Maybe someone can tell me more about this. I would be very interested.
Last edited by 70s-child on 07 Jul 2009, 14:45, edited 1 time in total.
Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

70s-child wrote:I am also curious about the public debate, if any, that might have surrounded the revision of EB's texts. I am guessing it has the sanction of UK law, because otherwise surely it would have invited lawsuits (??). Maybe someone can tell me more about this. I would be very interested.
If there has ever been any public debate outside forums like these, I'm not aware of it. I imagine that decisions about whether or not to alter texts are down to individual publishers, in consultation with copyright holders. It's not only Enid Blyton books that are affected, of course. Other children's authors whose works have been updated or abridged include P. L. Travers (Mary Poppins), L. Frank Baum (Wizard of Oz books), Hugh Lofting (Dr. Dolittle series), Astrid Lindgren (Pippi Longstocking), Helen Bannerman (Little Black Sambo), Penelope Farmer (Charlotte Sometimes), Elinor Brent Dyer (Chalet School series) and Richard Jefferies (Bevis). That's by no means an exhaustive list and I'm sure books by other authors have been altered too.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Wayne Pyer
Favourite book/series: adventure/find outers
Favourite character: Bill Smugs/Kiki/Fatty

Post by Wayne Pyer »

:lol: Well, i'm waiting for the day i read Oliver Twist saying, "Please sir, I want some more Weetabix!".

It's bound to happen soon.
Wayne, living in an Enid Blyton world.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is certainly an unspoken assumption that we have the freedom of speech in the UK. These days, more than ever, you have to watch what you say in case of upsetting the applecart. I won't give any examples, because I don't want to upset anyone here, but the limits are boundless!
Society Member
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Post by Aurélien »

*Thinking: If a campaign to have Barbie Dolls banned as negative racial/gender stereotypes hasn't got a hope of succeeding, what does this tell us about 'political correctness'?*

Changing a few words that are now seen as ethnico-culturally unacceptable in EB's books doesn't worry me overmuch. What does irritate me is the 'unspoken assumption' that it's okay to make a whole raft of purely cosmetic textural changes to any children's book.....provided, :twisted: of course, that it was written by Enid Blyton.

I mean, as well as the general outrage one feels at having one's precious childhood memories sneered at and ripped from one by such textural changes, there could :x now well be more than one 'correct' answer to some quiz questions......

Yes, simplified versions of 'The Wind in the Willows', 'Treasure Island', 'Robinson Crusoe' etc, etc are produced from time to time, but what a furore there would be if :shock: :shock: :shock: publishers, scared of the the pc brigade, decreed that such classics would only ever be available in 'revised' versions from now on.

Strange that one definition of 'Children's Classics' - books that continue on in print for years after their author's death - is not deemed to apply to EB's books.....

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

FattyPyer wrote: :lol: Well, i'm waiting for the day i read Oliver Twist saying, "Please sir, I want some more Weetabix!".
"Please Sir" sounds a bit too polite to me! It would probably be, "Whaaaat?! Only one measly Weetabix wiv skimmed milk wot tastes like wawta?! Are you serious, man? You'd betta give me anova pronto, or the European Court o' Uman Rights'll be 'earing about this."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: It would probably be, "Whaaaat?! Only one measly Weetabix wiv skimmed milk wot tastes like wawta?! Are you serious, man? You'd betta give me anova pronto, or the European Court o' Uman Rights'll be 'earing about this."
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
70s-child
Favourite book/series: Adv. series, Barney series, St. Clare's, FFO
Favourite character: Snubby, Loony, Susie, Dinah, Jack Trent, Fatty

Post by 70s-child »

Aurélien wrote: I mean, as well as the general outrage one feels at having one's precious childhood memories sneered at and ripped from one by such textural changes
Yes, that's how it feels. I remember when my brother and I first heard the news about the revisions of EB's texts, many years ago, both of us had the same visceral "Keep your hands off my books" reaction.
Aurélien wrote: Yes, simplified versions of 'The Wind in the Willows', 'Treasure Island', 'Robinson Crusoe' etc, etc are produced from time to time, but what a furore there would be if :shock: :shock: :shock: publishers, scared of the the pc brigade, decreed that such classics would only ever be available in 'revised' versions from now on.
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Personally, I don't see much PC-ism in revising. There are too many dangers in it. It is how you lose your history and your heritage.
But if bringing out unexpurgated versions of the books creeps the publishers out, then why not publish the original versions of the texts maybe in "adult" editions of the books (like they did with Harry Potter or the classics)? You could have plainer covers, with all the illustrations provided as plates at the end, an introductory essay by someone, and loads of annotations. I would have thought all those bright marketing whizzes would have jumped at the chance of making even more money.
Society Member