There is this unspoken assumption

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: There is this unspoken assumption

Post by Lucky Star »

Gareth of Orkney wrote: In the Victorian age in Britain some Shakespeare texts were edited (sometimes quite severely) due to content that certain Victorians felt was unsuitable.
So all this updating is not a new business then. I still dont like it. We can only understand an author, any author, if we can read what they wrote, not what someone thinks they should have written.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

I always think it makes a mockery of an author's work if another author, usually far less talented, thinks they can 'improve' on the original. :evil: That's why I find 'contibuation' novels far more acceptable than needless up-dating of existing works. 8)
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

I have talked with at least one black Blyton fan who was offended and hurt by some of the references... though she still did like Blyton and recognised that they occured in the context of a different era. Nonetheless this person felt that they references to such things as Gollies should not be there.
I really don't want to put words in this [the black Blyton fan] persons mouth, or in any way infer she has a mistaken view, but I can't help wondering if this is partly due to politically correct bodies already saying that Blyton's gollies are offensive. A person's judgments and views can be substantially coloured by the opinions of others, before or after they themselves see the item they are judging.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

That's true. As a child I had a golliwog and loved it, thinking it was just a funny loveable toy, very smartly dressed and obviously richer than my (naked) teddybears and other animals. Nowadays I realise a golliwog is supposed to be a black person because that's what people have told me since.

Apparently my parents were racist in letting me even own a golliwog.

I wouldnt have known a golliwog was meant to be a black person if I hadnt been told it was by people wanting me to be less racist! :?
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
221b
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog, Adventure Series
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs & Jack Trent

Post by 221b »

Robert Houghton wrote:That's true. As a child I had a golliwog and loved it, thinking it was just a funny loveable toy, very smartly dressed and obviously richer than my (naked) teddybears and other animals. Nowadays I realise a golliwog is supposed to be a black person because that's what people have told me since.

Apparently my parents were racist in letting me even own a golliwog.

I wouldn't have known a golliwog was meant to be a black person if I hadn't been told it was by people wanting me to be less racist! :?
I totally identify with this.

I too had a Golliwog as a child and not once did I ever consider that they/it was meant to be or represent a black human being! Golliwogs to me were fairyland creatures, like Brownies, Goblins, Pixies and the like and didn't belong to any race at all, save the race of Golliwogs...

Ah me...

On a happy note, today I found a v old dust-jacketed hard-backed copy of 'The Three Golliwogs', while clearing out my childhood books at my parents :D
Helen

‘Well, sir, he’s a whole lot of red-headed boys, sir.’
"This 'Ere 'Ouse Is Habsolutely Hempty"
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Just a thought: If it's okay to update Dickens and Shakespeare and Blyton, how about the Bible? Let's dump all that old "speak unto Him" and "Jesus sayeth" nonsense and sort it out so it reads like a modern day thriller. (Or would it be a mystery...?)
Belly

Post by Belly »

There's an idea, Keith! Hasn't this been done before? Enid Blyton herself had a go with her bible stories didn't she? :D These I would like to get by the way.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote:Just a thought: If it's okay to update Dickens and Shakespeare and Blyton, how about the Bible? Let's dump all that old "speak unto Him" and "Jesus sayeth" nonsense and sort it out so it reads like a modern day thriller. (Or would it be a mystery...?)
Sallreadybindun, old thing! Hardly any churches now use the King James' or Revised versions of the Bible. In fact, the old Book of Common Prayer has all but been replaced. In most churches (CofE), all of the readings, prayers, canticles and responses are now in modern language.

And yes, I prefer the old verions!
Society Member
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

No, I mean REALLY updated, to include such things as Ford Fiestas and modern currency, and Jesus wandering around the hills wearing jeans and t-shirt (but still with sandals, of course, cuz he's probably an earthy type even in these modern times), communicating with his disciples via twitter: "Just made a blind man see again. Oh, someone just touched the hem of my robe..."
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Keith Robinson wrote:"Oh, someone just touched the hem of my robe..."
You mean, "Oh, someone just touched the turn-ups on my jeans..."
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Occasionally my wholesaler makes a mistake, and I get extra books in with my order. Last year I recieved "ee by gum, Lord" which was the Bible in broad Yorkshire.

But surely the "original" should be in Aramaic???

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Well spotted, Anita -- yes, "someone touched my turn-ups" is more correct. And no, Nigel, there's no smutty innuendos of any kind here.

In answer to Viv, here's my take on it:

History of the Bible:
I don't know much about history (isn't that a line from a song?) but I'm pretty sure the Bible was compiled (not written) around 450 AD by a group of people around a table in a pub, over a beer or three. I think it was in the Red Lion. Anyway, it was these people who decided what the definition of Christianity would be for hundreds of years to come. They had a whole bunch of "important books" to choose from, for inclusion in this "Best Of" tome, but like Enid Blyton's publishers, they chose what THEY felt would work best and shoved the rest in a drawer marked "Do Not Open, Ever." The words of Jesus himself were also shoved in this drawer, as it was felt that he was a little outspoken in some areas. Thus, the Bible was created -- a Collection of Hit Gospels from the People of Judea, with many golden oldies going back as far as 1000 BC. Originally written in Hebrew, with some small portions in Aramaic, it was all Greek to the people of England so it was translated by Anthea Bell. Pam Cox is set to write some sequels next year, and Val Biro has been commissioned to paint some gorgeous new illustrations, one of which depicts Jesus driving by in a small red Ford Fiesta, long hair blowing in the breeze.

Oh golly, I think I've had too much beer! :?
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Keith Robinson wrote: History of the Bible:
...by a group of people around a table in a pub, over a beer or three. I think it was in the Red Lion. ...The words of Jesus himself were also shoved in this drawer, as it was felt that he was a little outspoken in some areas...
I have done some research on this, through GoogleScriptureSearch. There is indeed some dialogue on record confirming at least part of your comments, Keith.

"On the night of the full moon, raking of the Scriptures was profound. The inkeeper was a surly fellow, often happy when self-promoting, but prone to bursts of outrage if questioned. He said Jesus was a troublemaker, was mean-spirited, narrow-minded and excluding, and now, after being punished by death, had allegedly risen and ascended back to his pathetic, small world. Although the inkeeper has many works of religion on his shelves, he was not a member of the church, but welcomed pilgrims from Holland and Germany.

Little more is known of this innkeeper as he only appeared just before the Festival of Daylight."

A fascinating tale, none the less.
Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Ooh you are awful Nigel. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Well; Keith started it!!!!!!! Image
Society Member