A Fine Defence of Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Aurélien
Favourite book/series: Book: The Boy Next Door / Series: Famous Five
Favourite character: Noddy

Re: A Fine Defence of Enid Blyton

Post by Aurélien »

Yes, I did check your link, Tony, but backed right off when asked to install 'Real Player'. In my (unfortunate but not uncommon) experience :cry: installing 'special players' to play audio/visual programmes is simply asking for trouble - and Spyware freebies are the least of it!

The several-times-bitten / twice shy ‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

You'd get on well with our old friend, Michael Edwards! Seriously, Real Player is a pretty essential installation - it won't give you any problems.
Society Member
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Moonraker wrote:
You'd get on well with our old friend, Michael Edwards!
Michael Edwards? In the past I've paid the usual penalties for lack of caution with freebie downloads.
Seriously, Real Player is a pretty essential installation - it won't give you any problems.
Hmmm...*Cautiously observing Real Player from what he hopes is a safe distance*

The ultra-cautious ‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Hmm, I wonder if I am too late to advise Aurélien against installing Real Player!

Anyway, hello, chaps! I am just popping up to let you know that I have uploaded an MP3 of the documentary here for those who haven't been able to listen to it and those who would like to listen again. A thoroughly enjoyable programme, I thought, and nice to hear so many familiar voices.
Aurélien

Post by Aurélien »

Worry not, Matthew. Old Aurélien read up all the web warnings on r____ player, and quickly backed off. Chicken-livered, maybe, or is it that I've finally learned some caution. Won't even download and install Aunty BBC plug-ins, either.

Thing is, those of my generation who have learned a little about using computers [ie the equivalent of what an average 10-year-old knows] are always holding our breaths in case :roll: the rubber-band inside suddenly snaps....

Whatcha mean that's laughable, pathetic, etc. I was 13 years old before I saw my first live television screen. A while back, yes, but no, dinosaurs were not :wink: still roaming the home swamp in those far-off days.

‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Hullo Matt! Thanks for uploading that. I too backed off when I was asked to download Real Player, so didn't listen to it before.

It's great to hear so many familiar voices, especially Barbara's.

Society Member
Boodi
Favourite book/series: The Six Cousins & The Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Susan Longfield & Ern Goon

Post by Boodi »

Aurélien wrote: A while back, yes, but no, dinosaurs were not :wink: still roaming the home swamp in those far-off days.
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Funny you should say that Aurélien! When my son was about three years old (around 14 years ago !!) he once asked me in a deadly serious voice if there were still dinosaurs on the earth when I was "very little". He really believed it was possible and was most disappointed when I informed him that they were long extinct before I was born and even before his Granny and Granddad were born. I always thought that it was one of his most original questions!!
"I mean - unless you saddle and bridle and groom your own horse, it isn't a real horse!" (Jack Longfield, Six Cousins at Mistletoe Farm).
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Boodi wrote:
Aurélien wrote: A while back, yes, but no, dinosaurs were not :wink: still roaming the home swamp in those far-off days.
‘Aurélien Arkadiusz’
Funny you should say that Aurélien! When my son was about three years old (around 14 years ago !!) he once asked me in a deadly serious voice if there were still dinosaurs on the earth when I was "very little". He really believed it was possible and was most disappointed when I informed him that they were long extinct before I was born and even before his Granny and Granddad were born. I always thought that it was one of his most original questions!!
Hi Boodi, you could have told him that there are still dinosaurs around, or rather their descendants - birds. The ancestors of mammals are saurians, but not dinosaurs, and even alligators, crocodiles or turtles don't count dinosaurs their ancestors.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I always believed that the humble chicken was the last remaining ancestor of dinosaurs. Is that true?
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Matthew Roberts wrote: hello, chaps! I am just popping up to let you know that I have uploaded an MP3 of the documentary here for those who haven't been able to listen to it and those who would like to listen again. A thoroughly enjoyable programme, I thought, and nice to hear so many familiar voices.

Just re-listened to this radio broadcast-a most enjoyable programme -you can still get it from the link above if you didnt manage to catch it first time around! :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

There is a Blyton feast up at Newcastle in May :D

http://www.sevenstories.org.uk/whats-on ... n&x=19&y=6" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Too far!
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

Moonraker wrote:Too far!
And too expensive! I checked out the rail fare and it was over £200 return and that is before you start thinking about hotels as it is an evening session.

I did mention it in the Journal, Viv, but perhaps you didn't see it!
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Too far!
And too expensive! I checked out the rail fare and it was over £200 return and that is before you start thinking about hotels as it is an evening session.
At prices like that there's no incentive to leave the car behind. I'm assuming £200 was for one person, imagine trying to take the average family with 2.4 children :shock:
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Tony Summerfield wrote: I did mention it in the Journal, Viv, but perhaps you didn't see it!
I saw the Anne Fine on the 12th mentioned, but not the event on the 13th :)

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017