Enid Blyton's Story Circle

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Enid Blyton's Story Circle

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Our beloved Enid died on 28 November 1968. It was suggested a few months ago that there should be some way of marking the event, so I have booked the amazing Earthouse at Cranborne (between Wimborne and Salisbury) for an afternoon showcasing Enids range of work.

Next week I am meeting up with some singers who are keen to have a go at bringing to life some of the songs published in Teacher's Treasury.

Whist I have the outline of a programme worked out (from my favourites of course!) I'd welcome any suggestions for "must have" passages or poems that should be included. I need a selection that meets my description of Tales of myth and legend, animals and adventure, fantasy and fun.

It would be lovely to see some of you there. Details of how to get tickets are on the link, and proceeds are going to the Dorset Outdoor Education Service.

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/earthouse" target="_blank

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Enid Blyton's Story Circle

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

The Earthouse looks like a great venue, Viv.

Regarding myth and legend, Enid Blyton retells ancient tales beautifully in Tales of Long Ago. Her style is simple yet polished and rhythmic and the stories would be perfect for reading aloud and/or for acting/miming/tableaux. Personally I used to love "The Boastful Spinner," telling the tale of Arachne, but all the stories are captivating.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

Event – Enid Blyton’s Story Circle
Why – To mark the 40th anniversary of Enid Blyton’s death
When – 2.30pm Saturday 29 November 2008
Where – The Earthouse, Ancient Technology Centre, behind Cranborne Middle School, Dorset
Contact – Viv Endecott enquiries@gingerpop.co.uk" target="_blank"

To mark the 40th anniversary of Enid Blyton’s death, The Ginger Pop Shop has arranged a special storytelling. The selection of readings is intended to showcase the depth and range of Blyton's writing, which will come as a surprise to most people.

The event will be at the Earthouse, a purpose built Iron Age style hut that seats 250. It often hosts storytelling's, which are held around an open hearth. Indeed the only light will from the fire, the oil lamps, and the hole in the roof.

Our story-tellers will sit in the Ginger Pop Wishing Chair, which will be wearing its red wings for this important occasion. Usually the chair is to be found outside the Ginger Pop Shop in Corfe Castle, which stocks 150 Blyton titles and lashings of ginger beer.

A new portrait of Blyton will be on display, depicting Corfe Castle in the background and wearing a Famous Five Club Badge, as she promised her young fans that she would.

A group of singers will be bringing to life some of Blyton's songs, written over 80 years ago, and published in The Teachers Treasury.

There will be a Toast to be raised (in ginger beer of course!), and a large jar of humbugs for everyone to share

Tickets are £4 and available from the Ginger Pop Shop
To order by post please contact East Dorset Heritage Trust on: 01202 888992. Please make cheques payable to 'ATC Friends Account' and send with a stamped addressed envelope to EDHT, Allendale House, Hanham Road, Wimborne Minster, Dorset, BH21 1AS

http://www.dorsetforyou.com/earthouse" target="_blank

http://www.gingerpop.co.uk" target="_blank

In the summer a survey for the Costa Book Awards found that Enid Blyton was Britain’s best loved author.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2580093" target="_blank ... uthor.html
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Viv of Ginger Pop wrote: A new portrait of Blyton will be on display, depicting Corfe Castle in the background
Good to see that the promotion of Corfe Castle is still forefront in your mind, Viv! Are you sure you're not on commission from the NT? :wink:

Good luck anyway, it goes without saying that I will be at work that day; can't wait till I retire!
Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

The busiest day of the year for the NT at Corfe was The Secret Island Day, and EBs Birthday Party was also in the top 5.

Now that the NT knows that Blyton pulls in the paying public, I can make each event slightly bigger and better - they've agreed to pay for a fairground organ for next years Birthday Party! :D

Viv
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Good luck with the story circle Viv. Sorry I won't be there either, as our season for visiting Dorset has ended now until next March.

If you need any more jigsaws, you'll have to let me know and I'll have to post them over.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop

The Story Circle is just a week away now. I've got my readers well rehersed, my singers in tune, and this afternoon we're attempting to get the Ginger Pop Wishing Chair into the back of Mother's car. If it doesn't fit, and refuses to fly, I'll have to hire a van to get it up to Cranborne!

There will be some tickets on the door.

Viv