Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
sixret
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers,Mr.Twiddle,Barney R
Favourite character: Mr.Twiddle,Fatty,Saucepan,Snubby

Re: Thoughts after re-reading A Childhood at Green Hedges

Post by sixret »

One of my previous post's BBcode has magically been corrected. Anita must have used her magic wand. Thank you so much, Anita. :D
sixret

Post by sixret »

Moonraker wrote:it is a nightmare trying to scroll through loads and loads of quotes that one has read before, anyway.
Yes. I agree, Nigel.

I rarely quote others' posts. Only when I want to make the comment on a particular point in a particular post that I use quote. But instead of quoting the whole paragraph and underlining or highlighting it, I will just quote that particular point in the future. :D
sixret

Post by sixret »

Katharine wrote:I agree Nigel, I find it very difficult to pick out the relevant bits.
I have always used highlighted or underlined when I quote your posts and others in this particular thread, Katharine. While I agree with Nigel, it makes it difficult to scroll, but you could pick out the relevant bits fairly easy because I have highlighted or underlined the relevant parts. :D
Katharine wrote:I've now read the first six chapters of the book, and I'm beginning to wonder if I'm actually reading the same story as Sixret. So far I haven't found anything to say that Enid Blyton was an 'awful' mother.
There are another 13 chapters plus afterword, Katharine. Please don't wonder too early. :lol:

Even if you have read the whole books, please don't wonder with my opinion because each of us entitles to our own opinion. Just state your opinion, if you agree or disagree. You can write your own opinion without wondering mine. :D
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I had formed an extremely strong mental image of Enid Blyton when I was a little boy in my mind based on what I had read in her exciting adventure and mystery books.

My first illusion was shattered when I was told in about 1974 that Enid Blyton had passed away a few years earlier.

I had only read one book then,Five On A Treasure Island,but I had formed an incredible bond,affection and love for the author who could write such a book for children and knew exactly what would excite,delight and thrill them.

My Grandmother then told me that Enid Blyton had written other books and this somehow eased my sadness a little.
As I started to read enthusiastically through her whole cannon I started to miss her passing less and enjoy her books and emulate the lifestyle promulgated within them as best I could.

I definitely formed an image in my mind as I say about what Enid Blyton would be like.It was my own private image based on all I had read.
This is much the same as everyone's mental version of Peterswood or what Kirrin was like....mental images and feelings based on what I had read.

Then in later years I read the official biography and all the other associated books about Enid and her life.

What I read in the biographies didn't match up with the image I had of 'my special Enid in my mind'.How could they?
The Enid in my mind was a person that didn't really exist.She was my special mental interpretation.

The biographies flooded my mind about Enid's work ethic.Her childhood,relationship with her Father and Mother.
Her love of nature,animals and gardening.
Then becoming a teacher.Her first husband.Early years of marital happiness.The longing for a child.
The gradual success of her stories written in her beautiful home 'Old Thatch' ....

The change in her family structure.New husband,new home 'Green Hedges',her writing career becoming a worldwide phenomenon with amazing new stories and characters like The Famous Five and Find Outers.

Interwoven into all this is her two daughters growth from babies into mature strong minded and thoughtful young women.

Greater success.More affluent purchases,Rolls Royce,Golf Course,Farmhouse.

The onset of older age and health problems for both Enid and her husband and eventually the gradual slowing down of my much loved story teller Enid Blyton.

These weren't the mental images I had made for myself about Enid Blyton,but somehow I still seem to have the vision of Enid in my mind alongside the Enid portrayed in the biographies and the two differing accounts offered by her two daughters.
To add to that is the image Enid wanted to portray to the world of herself which she published in 'The Story Of My Life'.

Somehow to me all these portrayals go into the pot.Enid was certainly not perfect and most definitely was a strong willed,driven,independent,talented gifted writer.

It reminds me of when you go to a funeral of a dear friend or family member.When you look around you see lots of people there who have come together who have loved the person lost.
Each person has a slightly different perspective,memory and relationship with one being commemorated.
Some will be work colleagues,some neighbours,friends some sons,daughters,husbands,wives.

If the loved one was a writer,some may be there to commemorate the passing of someone they never really knew,spoke to or met,but who have all the same built up a deep bond of affection,love and respect and whose passing moves and stirs them deeply and resonates through the years as if the lost loved one had actually been a close family relative.

And that's how I feel about Enid.I have my own take on her.My own memories.I've read all the books about her.I know she wasn't perfect.
But I still miss her and love her very much....
Last edited by pete9012S on 16 Nov 2014, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Lovely posting Pete.

It's so easy to 'critize' someone, but really, unless you know that person really well, I don't think it's the right thing to do.

Enid was a writer, that was her profession. At least she was at home whilst working at her profession. What about the mothers of today who are career women. They leave the house at say 8am. Get back at 6pm maybe, see their children for about an hour and that's it. Isn't that the same as Enid would do. Career women have nannies, or the children go to nurseries. It's up to the individual how they want to lead their own life, be it with children or no children. But at the end of the day, Enid and many working women, do it for their children, to give them hopefully a better life, money, to keep them comfortable etc.

We shouldn't judge what others do in their lifetime. It's not a perfect world we live in. Enid wanted to please not only all those readers who admired her work, and wrote her letters, but her own family as well.

Sadly it's hard for women, as they are torn in two. Wanting to work maybe, but also be a mother. Fathers just go out to work and provide, they don't have to worry too much about the 'children' side of things. That's how it used to be anyway! Whether fathers have different views these days I don't know. I'm not judging, or want to judge.

Imogen tells her story how she sees it. How it is for her. For Gillian it was probably different. We can all speculate and have our own opinions on Enid. But it doesn't deter from the fact that she was a brilliant writer. If I saw a book buy Enid Blyton, I would just buy it. I didn't have to read to see if I would enjoy that story, as I knew I would do. I've never done that with any other author. I read the flap to see what the book is about before I buy.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

A thoughtful post, Pete. I think most avid readers of the books will, like you, have formed "a deep bond of affection, love and respect" with Enid Blyton. I know I did. She put a lot of herself into her work - the very best of herself - and I felt her presence as I read. Like all of us she had her weaknesses, but her stories stand strong. Even though she died more than a year before I was born, I felt I knew her because I heard her speaking to me through her books - teaching me things, inspiring and encouraging me, awakening my interest in nature, making me think and making me laugh...
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Carlotta King
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Barney, Secret Series, Famous Five
Favourite character: Bill Smugs,Lucy-Ann,Snubby,Mr King,Diana,Kiki,Paul

Post by Carlotta King »

Moonraker wrote:I often read posts on my phone, and believe me, it is a nightmare trying to scroll through loads and loads of quotes that one has read before, anyway.
Yeah me too!
I completely lost track of who said what in this thread, I didn't know where I was! :)
There were quotes that featured other quotes, and those other quotes also featured more quotes, it was like being drawn into a massive whirlpool of quotes!!!
"Fussy Gussy! Polly, Polly, Polly-gize!"

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

As I've said before, it helps if people only quote when necessary. Without long blocks of quoted material, the boards are easier to read and conversations flow more readily.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

sixret wrote:It's a wonder people will enter into a discussion without reading the main sources first. :D

Please rectify it by reading:

1) Enid Blyton, A Biography by Barbara Stoney
2) Enid Blyton by George Greenfield
3) A Childhood at Green Hedges by Imogen Smallwood.
I am currently very busy and slightly under the weather, but I have followed this discussion and feel that perhaps I ought to add my two pennyworth. You seem to imply, Sixret, that you have read the three books above and therefore know everything that there is to know. You don't. I have an advantage in that I knew (or know in the case of Imogen) all three authors personally.

I knew Barbara Stoney very well, she was a close friend for a number of years. We had many hours of long discussions about every subject under the sun - and that even included Enid on occasions! She was a lovely caring person and when my mother was alive she sent her flowers for her birthday and at Christmas and never forgot. She was also a super cook and I had some wonderful meals with her at her home. I can tell you that I learnt quite a bit about things that she did not put in her biography, all for various reasons that I won't go in to. One thing that I can say is that the publishers missed out a large chunk of what she had written for the last edition of her biography. She was very upset and the publishers promised they would put it right when they reprinted, but this never happened as they went out of business without reprinting. As I proofread this chapter for her I have the missing chunk somewhere on my computer, but I am not sure where! Also as I think a lot of people already know, Barbara left me all her archives and I have boxes of material, some of which was never used.

I knew George Greenfield less well, but he told me that he only knew Enid from the early 1950s onwards and everything before that was taken straight from Barbara's biography.

Very briefly I can tell you that Imogen is both an excellent mother and grandmother and also a very caring person.
sixret

Post by sixret »

pete9012S wrote:The Enid in my mind was a person that didn't really exist.She was my special mental interpretation.
Yes, I agree with Julie and Anita. A lovely and thoughtful post, Pete. :D

I bet some children nowadays would not agree with you because Tony keep getting their letters with "Dear Enid Blyton". :lol: :wink:
Julie2owlsdene wrote:If I saw a book buy Enid Blyton, I would just buy it. I didn't have to read to see if I would enjoy that story, as I knew I would do. I've never done that with any other author. I read the flap to see what the book is about before I buy.
Even if you already have that titles? :wink:

Same here. In fact, I have spent more money on her books than on other authors' books. Enid Blyton's books are the only books that I bought in two editions, the old editions and the new editions. The only books that I have surplus for many titles. :D
Anita Bensoussane wrote:Like all of us she had her weaknesses, but her stories stand strong.
Spot on, Anita. :D
sixret

Post by sixret »

Tony Summerfield wrote:
I am currently very busy and slightly under the weather
Hope you get my e-mail regarding to the purchase of EBS publications. Please take your time, Tony as you are busy right now. :D

Tony Summerfield wrote:You seem to imply, Sixret, that you have read the three books above and therefore know everything that there is to know. You don't. I have an advantage in that I knew (or know in the case of Imogen) all three authors personally.
You are right. I didn't have a chance to meet them. It's very nice to hear your reminiscence of and experience with Barbara. I'm sure, she was a wonderful person as you have stated. :D
Tony Summerfield wrote:Very briefly I can tell you that Imogen is both an excellent mother and grandmother and also a very caring person.
I'm sure she is. And I'm sure she has made herself to improve her relationship with Enid in Enid's last years. :D

Thank you so much, Tony for sharing your reminiscence. :D
John Pickup
Favourite book/series: Barney mysteries
Favourite character: Snubby

Post by John Pickup »

Regarding the earlier post by Pete. I think the last paragraph sums it up for most of us. We all miss her and love her very much. Well said, Pete.
Society Member
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

A lovely post Pete. Well said.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

sixret wrote:I rarely quote others' posts.
Oh, I hadn't noticed. :|
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've finally finished reading this book. If I wrote down all my thoughts on this book, I could probably fill one of my own. I'll try and sum up my feelings.

I was very apprehensive about reading the book, as I'd formed the impression that it was very 'anti Enid', from comments I've heard over the years. However I didn't feel that way at all. In it's basic form, I would split the book into two parts. One part is an interesting insight in Enid's daily life, ie, shopping trips to London, the type of furniture she bought etc., the other part seems to be an account of a very unhappy, insecure little girl. She just happened to be Enid Blyton's daughter.

One aspect of the book I found particularly pleasing was that it answered for me a point which had always bothered me a bit, and that was the changing of the girls' names to Darrell Waters. Apparently Gillian's was going to be changed when she went to boarding school, and Imogen had a 'hysterical protest' at being the only member of the family with the surname of Pollock, so Enid 'gave in ....... with good grace', and allowed Imogen to use the surname as well. Not quite the forced name change I'd got the impression had happened.
Society Member