Ebay item 330258433386

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Blytonboy

Ebay item 330258433386

Post by Blytonboy »

I'm not too sure about the signature on the book sold today on Ebay. It looks a bit like the work of the "forger" who was knocking them out from the IOW (I think) some years ago. Anyway, someone has paid nearly £130 for it :( :?:
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Re: Ebay item 330258433386

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Any chance of a link?
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Nearby
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series - Castle of Adventure
Favourite character: Philip Mannering, Barney, Sooty LeNoir, Andy

Post by Nearby »

Between the years of 1947-1959, Enid Blyton used 98% of the worlds resources of ! Fact.
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Thanks!

Wow!

it makes the £2.50 postal charge rather meanial!

And you're right. It looks nothing like her signiture, but then, you're better off asking someone like Tony! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Gosh, fancy paying £125, and I'd be suspicious about that signature too. As Steph says, Tony will know. :D
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Post by Tony Summerfield »

This is a genuine Captain Hockney signature! :twisted: He churned them out by the dozen from his shop in Ventnor on the Isle of Wight. They first started appearing about ten years ago and I have seen well over 100 of them. I did manage to stop Book & Magazine collector from taking his ads, and in the early days of ebay we were able to warn buyers (sellers tended to ignore warnings or send rude replies), but with ebay's new privacy policy there is now nothing that can be done - and if you let ebay know they do nothing about it at all.

These are all obvious forgeries, but there are many others that are a lot less obvious. The same man had a nice little line in W E Johns and Ian Fleming forgeries going on at the same time.
Kate Mary
Favourite book/series: The Treasure Hunters/ Five Find Outers
Favourite character: Barney

Post by Kate Mary »

Is this blighter still operating? Why hasn't he had his collar felt by the police? Perhaps there needs to be a few articles in the press about this to stop people buying what they believe are signed copies. I would be sick as a brewer's horse if I found out I'd bought a fake.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Maybe George@Kirrin should either get over to the Island (she does love islands, after all!) or at least inform her colleagues of this villain's work.

I note Zoe hasn't posted since the 7th July, but did look in yesterday. I hope all is well, Zoe.
Society Member
Blytonboy

Post by Blytonboy »

The seller doesn't seem to be an "EB" trader and has possibly just acquired the book and is selling it in good faith as a signed copy.
Enid's signature is not particularly complicated but a genuine one usually stands out. It is normally in blue fountain pen and very flowing as if signed in a hurry. I imagine she must have had a row of expectant little 1940'/50's children lined up clutching their open books!
The "forged" one is too jerky and it is rare to see the full "Love from Enid Blyton" You normally get "Much love" or rarely, "To ****** from Enid Blyton" I suppose it depends on how she felt on the day and how polite the child was.
There are a couple of signatures on Ebay at the moment that look OK.
Tony Summerfield

I am quite sure that the majority of sellers are no wiser than the bidders (in this case six of them) and believe they are selling the genuine article, but when they see huge sums bid they are reluctant to do anything about it even when they are told it is a forgery.

When these signatures first appeared, a number of leading children's dealers were taken in by them, so I wouldn't expect the average seller to know any better. In answer to an earlier post, I am pretty sure that the shop is no longer open, but unfortunately the damage is done as there are numerous copies out there on the secondhand market, and although the police have been involved there is not a lot that they can do about it now. As I said in my earlier post, I have seen over a hundred copies and there must also be a huge number that I haven't seen. I have even had letters of complaint from visiting Australians!

Incidentally, 'love from Enid Blyton' is probably the most common method of signing and signatures are normally in blue, either in fountain pen or biro, but I have also seen them in black.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

This Captain Hockney sounds like quite a character, is it possible to learn more about him, or is it best to avoid saying too much? :wink: During a recent visit to Ventnor, a friend of mine who lives on the Isle of Wight pointed out to me a closed, rather run down looking shop. He described his visits there as being very strange experiences indeed, and drew parallels with Aunty Wainwright's shop in Last of the Summer Wine. Could we be talking about the same premises?
Tony Summerfield

Yes, we definitely are talking about the same shop!!