Love of Enid Blyton

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Love of Enid Blyton

Post by Belly »

Did anyone else feel a 'love' for want of a better word, for Enid herself?

Many say they were glued to the books as children but for me I felt an affinity and a 'love' for the woman herself. I suppose my feelings were akin to a teenage crush/obession but I felt that way from about 6 years old to around 12.

As some were passionate about horses or something I had press cuttings on my walls etc.

I wrote a 'musical' :oops: about her life and Dorset aged around 9. Well, I say it was a musical more a series of songs telling stories with bits and pieces of information gleaned from letters and The Blyton Phenomenom I read around the same age (and didn't fully grasp).

One of the songs was called 'My Magic Dog' and was intended to be sung by Imogen to the spaniel 'Laddie' (which in my 'musical' was actually bought for her as a puppy). It began 'He may be fairly small, he may be a spaniel and that's all, he may only be a puppy, but I just know that he's my magic dog...etc' :oops: :oops:

Another was written to be sung by Enid about her feelings about Studland Bay! To quote a line from the song (Don't tell me your Lucas, nut brown and gay, I know your smile in every way. Don't tell me this is Studland Bay I feel your waves every day...).

I was very unhappy at school and I think this 'love' saw me through some dark days.

I apologise for the embarrasing lyrics but just found the 'musical' amongst some old papers and thought I'd share. I promise I am completely sane :D .

I wonder if anyone else was moved by Enid in a similar way?
Moonraker

Re: Love of Enid Blyton

Post by Moonraker »

Yes, I know exactly what you mean, Belly. I can't say she inspired me to do the tings you did, but like you, I had a pretty miserable time at school. My great release was through Enid's books, and I owe her a huge debt of thanks for that. I found that the Kirrins and Find-Outers were so much nicer than most of the other kids I knew at school, and longed to join them!

To this day, my mood lightens when I am immersed in one of the stories written by Enid Blyton. Surely today, she would become a Dame. Richly deserved.
Society Member
Belly

Post by Belly »

I agree with her no doubt being a Dame if she were alive. Did she receive any honours in her lifetime?

I think I was born about 30 years too late and would have fitted in rather better in the times she wrote about.
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I think that I felt much more affinity with her characters than with the author herself when I was a child. As others have said reading a Blyton lifted me from dark moods and transported me off to a place where everything wwas new, differant and exciting. It was'nt till I rediscovered her books in my early 30's that I began to take an interest in Blyton's own life and to discover more about her and her work processes.

Can people be honoured posthumously? I'm sure they can though I cant think of any names at the moment. Who can recommend people for honours? Is it just the government? If David Beckham can be honoured then I dont see why Enid Blyton cant be.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I never had a 'love' for Enid Blyton, I loved her characters much more! I did have an image in my mind though, of a pretty young lady in her twenties or thirties, very kind and soft-voiced, and when I first visited the United Kingdom back in 2004, I actually went up to a librarian and asked her, "Can you tell me where Miss Enid Blyton lives please, I'd like to meet her?" :lol: :lol: If I remember rightly, she didn't have a clue to what I was talking about, or perhaps she kindly laughed.

That very day when I came home I checked out Enid Blyton on Wikipedia, and wasn't I shocked to discover a picture of an elderly lady! I kept on telling my mum, "it's amazing how that old a lady could totally understand what exactly a child of my age wants!" The next day my uncle told me she had died in 1968.

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Lucky Star wrote: Can people be honoured posthumously? I'm sure they can though I cant think of any names at the moment.
No, they can't. A form can be downloaded from the Government website, and letters have to be attached from more than one person. There is no guarantee of it going any further though, it is quite a lottery. My brother was awarded an OBE for services to the elderly in Scotland. Grrrrr.
Society Member
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

What you write makes sense to me - I find it quite moving. I think Enid must have brought comfort and happiness to millions - what an amazing legacy she left.

For me it was more about love for the characters than for Enid herself. I can remember painting cards and gifts a la Find-Outers, but also writing what I suppose was fanfic, but in those pre internet days, I didn't know what to call it! I was just cross that there were only 15 FFO books, and decided to carry on with more stories.
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Very interesting that you wrote a musical, Belly. Did you compose the tunes yourself or set the words to tunes you knew?

Like others, I had love for the characters rather than for Enid. However, I did develop a curiosity about the author as I got older. I even started writing a biography of Enid Blyton but, as I didn't know much about her, I could only manage a few paragraphs about her life (and even then some of it was guesswork and inaccurate!) After that, I filled a few more pages by writing about her books and characters but never got round to completing the project. I no longer have it but still remember the mustardy-coloured folder I kept it in, and recall doing a gaudy illustration of the Find-Outers in felt-tip pen!

It was when I was about 13 that, quite by chance, I came across a biography of Hans Andersen in the library and read it with interest. That made me wonder whether anyone had written a biography of Enid Blyton so I had a look next time I visited the library and came across Barbara Stoney's book. The information it contained was quite a revelation! I remembered the name "Barbara Stoney" and, years later, sought out the book in another library and re-read it. It wasn't until 2000 that I finally got a copy of my own from the Enid Blyton Society.

Ming, I had to chuckle at your story! I remember watching an interview with Laurie Lee (author of Cider With Rosie, which is often set as a class reader in schools) on Wogan years ago. Laurie Lee said that he was walking through his home town when he was approached by a group of "black-stockinged schoolgirls" who asked politely if he could direct them to Laurie Lee's grave!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I'm afraid to say the same, I loved the characters more than Enid herslef (As I'm sure *someone* will probably point out<Cough> Nigel! :wink: )

As I've got older I have developed an interest in Enid herself, but I'm afraid I haven't been very good at following it up. :oops:

Although Enid's work inspired me to start writing myself, the reason I started reading her books (The Famous Five) was because My Mum wanted to encourage to read more, and she had liked Enid when she was little. We had conflicting views on the characters, which used to make for rather interesting conversations, She was a Timmy and a Dick fan, while I was very much a Julian girl :oops: But you already know that! :D

I have developed a senitmental spot for Enid herself, as I've grown to apperciate the writer as well as the works! :D

Have you still got the musical Belly? I don't suppose you could post some could you? It would be wonderful to read! :D
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Belly wrote:Lucas, nut brown and gay, I know your smile in every way.
:shock: :shock: :shock: :lol:

Sorry to disillusion you, but he's about 5'2", very thin grey hair, toothless at the front, and chatted up Gillian shamelessly when they met....

I didn't think too much about the author as a child, but if the name was on the book cover then that was reccomendation enough for me to buy it. When I say "I love Enid Blyton" I actually mean the books, not the person.

As an adult I have developed huge respect for Enid as an author and businesswoman. I agree that she was a pioneer, and could have achieved so much more if she had the opportunities available to women today. Even so, to still be selling 8 million books a year, with over 150 in print, is an achivement rarely surpassed even now. 8)

Best wishes

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

For me too, it was the love of her books and her characters, that enabled me to escape from my unhappy childhood into the pages of the books, that gave me a safe secure feeling.

It wasn't until I was much older that I started to be inquisitive about the author herself, and learned as much as I could. Thoroughly enjoying and treasuring Barbara Stoney's book and Imogen's book, about her own childhood. If a book had Enid's famous signature on it, then I would either save money for it, or borrow it from the library. Enid was a truely remarkable writer, very talented and knew what children wanted to read.

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

Like others on this thread I felt no great affinity to Enid Blyton as a child, but I loved her books. The England depicted was one of very well ordered towns, villages and countryside which to a certain extent probably did exist. It must be remembered that society sixty years ago had a very clearly defined structure compared to today's somewhat complicated nightmare.
Moonraker wrote:Yes, I know exactly what you mean, Belly. I can't say she inspired me to do the tings you did, but like you, I had a pretty miserable time at school. My great release was through Enid's books, and I owe her a huge debt of thanks for that. I found that the Kirrins and Find-Outers were so much nicer than most of the other kids I knew at school, and longed to join them!
I can quite relate to that. At school I was surrounded by all kinds of corrosive characters, I just could not understand their inability to co-exist peacefully. Todays kids are much worse, many seem to be in a constant state of anger.
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Petermax wrote: Todays kids are much worse, many seem to be in a constant state of anger.
Tell me about it!

Try working with them! :evil:
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

Belly

Post by Belly »

Interesting to read the replies. There is a sense in the books that the only children who have a rough time at school have brought it on themselves somehow (although I do think Gwen gets treated harshly. 'Fond farewells' and being a bit spoilt seem to be harder to forgive than being a thief - Daphne - albeit a courageous one). As you suggested Moonraker, sadly this isn't the case in the real world, a face that doesn't fit can lead to years of torment and demons lasting into adulthood.

Viv, don't shatter my illusions about Lucas! I imagined a sensible countryman 'as brown as a berry' although probably middle aged/a bit more senior. I was surprised when it came out that he was based on a youngster. I have always loved the name since reading the relevant FF and if I had a son would have considered the name (before it became too popular and one of Mick Jagger's flames chose it for her son).

I agree with you about EB as an admirable business woman. I wonder how sales will compare with JK Rowling in years to come? Certainly more difficult in EB's time and how amazing also that she could recall every piece of buisness correspondence etc too.

Ming you are right about her ability to reach out to children. It shows how timeless her books are that you thought that she was much younger and had written for your generation.

Kitty, I also tried to do things that the children did in the books forming secret societies etc. Also anyone else try to make secret ink as in FFO? I think from orange or lemon juice? (Mine didn't work).

Anita, the musical was set to tunes I made up (I still have a few of them in my head). I can't read music so couldn't do the scores! I'd heard about Laurie Lee also and it made me smile. I've never read any Laurie Lee or Cider with Rosie, hope to one day.

The Dorset song (sung by Gillian) from the musical began like this:

Imogen's eleven and I'm just sixteen
Mummy's writing all her books, Daddy's in his prime
Sometimes we go to Dorset!

As the Bee's collect pollen from the flowers I excel in Dorset's beauty (refrain)

And so on......

The whole family had 'songs'. Kenneth Darrell Waters sung about his job as a surgeon, etc. (Can you tell I had time on my hands as a child)?

I think there is material for a play or even a musical about Enid's Life. You could have the young Enid on nature walks with her father. Alone in her bedroom at night, sitting on the stairs listening to her parents arguments. Staying with the Attenboroughs, sailing along the roads on bicycles and staying in an exciting house with a secret passage. The early years as a teacher.

The early years with Hugh at Elfin Cottage. Moving to Old Thatch, having the children. Dorothy Richards could give her opinion as Enid's friend & coming to take care of Imogen, meeting Kenneth and so on....

Petermax & Pippa Steff why do you think children today are more 'angry'? I like to think that EB's UK remains as it was with only a few changes.
Pippa-Stef

Post by Pippa-Stef »

Belly wrote: Petermax & Pippa Steff why do you think children today are more 'angry'? I like to think that EB's UK remains as it was with only a few changes.
Well I suppose, still being of school age, I tend to come across very agressive youths, and I'm sorry to say, mostly boys.

And of course the media tends to marginalise the violence in society, almost every day we hear about an "new" knife and Gun crime victims, and it just seems that the youth is getting more violent. (You've got me going now! My sociology studies come into their element here!) Of course because we are only shown the "bad" things that are going on in society, is because it SELLS, which is the only reason there is so much of it in the media and we tend to pick up on it more!

Sorry! It was a key topic in my Sociology course! :oops: