Was EB petite

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Was EB petite

Post by Belly »

I have in my head she was about 5ft 5", is this correct?
Tony Summerfield

Re: Was EB petite

Post by Tony Summerfield »

I have just checked her Passport and it says 5' 7".
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

Good guess then Belly. :wink:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Hmm, wouldn't call a woman of 5'7" petite, unless of course you were in The Land of Giants. :wink:

I'm sure if you asked how good Enid was at English, at school, Tony could check her school report. :wink:
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Moonraker wrote:Hmm, wouldn't call a woman of 5'7" petite, unless of course you were in The Land of Giants. :wink:
I dread to think what you'll call me. :wink:

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Ming wrote:
Moonraker wrote:Hmm, wouldn't call a woman of 5'7" petite, unless of course you were in The Land of Giants. :wink:
A Nightmare?
Society Member
Tony Summerfield

Moonraker wrote:I'm sure if you asked how good Enid was at English, at school, Tony could check her school report. :wink:
It was actually one of her poorest subjects, she failed her English exam, which I guess means that there is hope for all of us! :lol:
Belly

Post by Belly »

Thanks, Tony and everyone.

She was above average height for a woman then, I think that's about 5ft 3" (around my height, well I am 5ft 3" and a very important half) :D

How interesting, Tony, you have her school reports. I wonder how Enid was examined in English? I ask as because we were assessed by our hand writing, grammar and spelling more than much else in the subject.

My reports for English used to read something like this: 'Julia has a good imagination as her essay mark shows but work is weak in other areas'. When I was much older it was decided my work in the subject showed great promise but in the early years they couldn't seem to get past the bad writing and lack of paragraphing, etc. This I think held me back a bit.

What was Enid's best subject looking at ther reports? Maths or music I'd guess at.
Tony Summerfield

I think we are at cross purposes here, I don't have Enid's reports, I was taking the information from Barbara Stoney's Biography. I do have one or two reports written by Enid for pupil's in her school at Southernhay and I think that is possibly how the misunderstanding arose. I bought these in auction for our archives a few years ago.
Belly

Post by Belly »

Ah! Thanks.
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Ming wrote:
Oh don't worry, Ming! I am extremely small for my age! I am second smallest in my class! :(
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

Oh and do you know if they'll have an ointment in the land of spells to make me bigger? Not too big, or I shall not be able to fit down the hole, like fanny,bess, joe, moonface and dear old Silky, plus saucepanman! :D
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I'm about average height but, when I was about 12, my younger sister started to overtake me, which I found very annoying as people sometimes thought she was the elder one!

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Pippa-Stef
Favourite book/series: Famous Five/ Malory Towers
Favourite character: Julian/ Bill Robinson/ Sally Hope

Post by Pippa-Stef »

I'm 5ft 6" and used to be one of the tallest in my class, so I used to jest with my smaller friends about height, and now!

Well! They're just under my height or slowly over taking me and guess who gets the Mick taken out of her now!

I'm now probably in the "Middle" height set in my year, but some of the yr ! They're tiny! I'm pretty sure none of my friends were that short (No offence!)
"You're so sharp you'll cut yourself one day!" Hunchy said going to the door
"So my Mother told me that when I was two years old!" said Julian and the others giggled.

http://worldofblyton.wordpress.com/
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I'm 4ft -9inches, so I guess you could say that is petite and my height (or should I say lack of it :D ) has never bothered or worried me. When I was a working girl, I used to get the micky taken out of me occasionally, but I never took offence, in fact it never lasted long, as I took it in all good fun, and gave out as good as I got.

It can be a slight problem sometimes with clothes, but more shops stock petite lines now anyway, so that does help.

The only time I get annoyed is when something in the supermarket is on the top shelf. That's when I look around most appealingly, grab a man, and ask him to reach up for me. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member