Enid's IQ?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Enid's IQ?

Post by Belly »

Did Enid ever take an IQ test in usually recognisable form?

What is her IQ likely to have been?

I have a great respect for those that can complete cryptic crosswords and I have a feeling academically she was a 'good all rounder'. Where was she in the class at St Christophers etc?

Who had the higher IQ, Hugh Pollock or Kenneth Darrell Rivers? Any thoughts?
Enikyoga

Re: Enid's IQ?

Post by Enikyoga »

Though she became the best children's writer of her time, Enid Blyton failed to earn a first class distinction in English or Literature while at St. Christopher, according to Barbara Stoney's biography on her, which suggests that Literature is a very tough subject to score very high, from my own personal experiences with the subject.
Belly

Post by Belly »

I suppose it is hard to score highly in as there is no right or wrong answer, unlike Maths.

I wouldn't say it was traditionally as 'difficult' as some other subjects. Certainly I've always done better in English and literature than anything else.

My father took English O level in 1956 and I was struck by how difficult the paper was. I imagine most 16 year olds today would struggle with the content. It was far, far more difficult that the equivalent paper that I took in 1986.
dsr

Post by dsr »

IQ's a very dodgy measurement of intelligence as far as arts/literature goes. It measures puzzle-solving abilities mainly.
DSR
Belly

Post by Belly »

A high score is taken generally as a marker of intelligence though?

Interested in her mental agility etc? Did she take the School Cert she often talks about in her books? I would imagine so.
tkurbjuhn

Post by tkurbjuhn »

There seems to be a correlation between the math and german notes and intelligence, according to
http://www.volkmar-weiss.de/iq-falle-schulzensuren.html" target="_blank.
But I think it is hard to transfer the numbers in the article to the english schoolnote-system.