Meeting Enid Blyton?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.

would you like to have met enid?

yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 48

Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Re: meeting enid?

Post by Lucky Star »

I would like to have met her but I'm not sure she would really have been interested in sitting around answering my questions. It's often the same with great artisitic people, they tend to live in their imaginations. Thats the impression I have of Enid Blyton.

I am just happy that she wrote so many great stories which have been with me throughout my life. Idols do have feet of clay and EB was only human after all. Her contributions to the worlds children far outweigh any reported shortcomings she may have displayed to her own.
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Anna Moss

Post by Anna Moss »

actually,before I said I kinda would like to meet her. But now, I'm not so sure
because a few nights ago I had the following dream:
EB was in my room alive but maybe dead.I Was talking to her when she was very
young- about twenty or so. But she was supposed to be a ghost. then I asked her
how old she was when she died and she stared at me and started skipping. and then
i Awoke. But it was so freaky cos she was a young ghost. I would me scared of meeting
her now!
anyone know how old she was when she died?
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Speaking of dreams, I had Ming jumping all over our bed, the other night, trying to wake me up.

Seems I'm to have no peace from her, even when I'm asleep.Image
Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Re: Meeting Enid Blyton?

Post by Ming »

What the heck?!! :shock:

Society Member
littleguineapig

Post by littleguineapig »

Would you have liked Enid Blyton as a person if you met her? I've been asking myself this one. I think part of me thinks that aside from the moralistic tone in much of her books that she probably had a real fun side too. I can imagine her being a spirited and string willed lady. Interesting to be around.

Merged with an earlier topic.
Soenke Rahn

Post by Soenke Rahn »

to hypothetical for me
Francis
Favourite book/series: Mountain of Adventure / Adventure and Famous Five
Favourite character: George and Timmy

Post by Francis »

Of course I would have liked to meet her - especially when she was at her peak. So many
questions to ask her!
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I'd have loved to have met her when I was a child, and I'm sure she'd have been charming. I'm not sure I'd get on with her as an adult though. She appears to have been very organised, very driven and very healthy, I think I'd have very inadequate next to her, as I'm not any of the above. I would imagine I'd probably irritate her, although maybe we could have chatted about gardening.
Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

An informal chat would have been wonderful. I would have liked to have been her next door neighbour, we could have had interesting chats over the fence!
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I would love to have met Enid and would probably have gone all gooey just like Snubby did with one of the performers in The Rubadub Mystery!
..The Funny Man also came in, with Iris Nightingale in a very pretty blue and white frock and that took Snubby's eye at once. He grinned at her and she smiled back. "She's awfully nice! he said. "I had a word with her this morning. She says we really must go to the show and she'll sing me my favourite songs."

"Well, I only hope she knows "Ride a Cock-horse to Banbury Cross" and “Where did you come from, Baby dear?" said Roger solemnly and rather loudly...
Obviously, this is a two way street - although I may worry about Enid living up to my expectations, I rather fear I would certainly not meet up to hers!!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Lucky Star
Favourite book/series: The Valley of Adventure
Favourite character: Mr Goon

Post by Lucky Star »

I doubt she would have any expectations of you Pete. I'm pretty sure she would probably have been polite but rather nonplussed that so many adults were interested in the books she wrote for children. I'm still sticking by what I wrote at the top of this page a whopping ELEVEN years ago! :shock:
"What a lot of trouble one avoids if one refuses to have anything to do with the common herd. To have no job, to devote ones life to literature, is the most wonderful thing in the world. - Cicero

Society Member
Rob Houghton
Favourite book/series: Rubadub Mystery, Famous Five and The Find-Outers
Favourite character: Snubby, Uncle Robert, George, Fatty

Post by Rob Houghton »

Yes, I agree with you John - I'm not sure I would have liked to have met her, as a child or adult. I think she would have been 'less awesome' than we imagine. We judge her by her writing, but I'm sure that some of the documentary evidence must have a ring of truth about it - our illusions may have been smashed if we'd met her!

I once met Sue Pollard - she was signing autographs by the stage door of The Alexandra Theatre in Birmingham after a performance of Annie. Surrounded by simpering fans, she strutted around in a fur coat, being rather rudely dismissive. Not how I had imagined her at all, judging by Hi-di-hi etc. Stars are often a disappointment!

The one star I found absolutely lovely was Christopher Beeny (from 'In Loving memory', Upstairs Downstairs, and other TV shows). He was appearing in 'Crazy For You' at the Birmingham Hippodrome, and we met him outside the theatre. he asked if we could direct him to the car park, as he'd parked there for the first time that night, and as we were also parked there, we showed him the way. He was completely down-to-earth - chatty - told us he was staying with his daughter while in Birmingham etc - a really nice guy.

Somehow I think I would have been disappointed in 'the real' Enid Blyton if I'd met her!
'Oh voice of Spring of Youth
hearts mad delight,
Sing on, sing on, and when the sun is gone
I'll warm me with your echoes
through the night.'

(E. Blyton, Sunday Times, 1951)

Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I would have liked to meet Enid, just to get an impression of what she was like as a person... I might have been disappointed and might not have been! :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think I would have been so in awe of her I would have become absolutely dumbstruck - many probably wish I could meet her now!!!

:D :D :D :wink:
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member