Meeting Enid Blyton?

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.

would you like to have met enid?

yes
88%
no
13%

Total votes: 48

Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Moose wrote:What if you had been disappointed, any of you? What if she had been less than you expected? I think it's almost inevitable that that might happen if you truly admire someone and then find out that they were merely human after all :(
Yeah, I agree with this. I went to a talk given by an author whose work I loved, and spoke to him afterwards, and I actually never read or bought anything he wrote after that! I can't explain it - he a was pleasant man, and the talk was ok, but I still wish I hadn't gone.
Moose
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Moose »

Who was it, if you don't mind my asking? :)
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe.
Attack ships on fire off the shoulder of Orion.
I watched C-beams glitter in the dark near the Tannhauser gate.
All those moments will be lost in time, like tears in rain.
Time to die.

EF
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Moose wrote:Who was it, if you don't mind my asking? :)
I know it sounds hopelessly precious, but I'd rather not say. I'd feel like a bit of a traitor, since I got a lot of pleasure from his books at one time, and really did like him a lot. He wasn't a children's writer though.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Moose wrote:What if you had been disappointed, any of you? What if she had been less than you expected? I think it's almost inevitable that that might happen if you truly admire someone and then find out that they were merely human after all :(
I'd better make the effort to meet you then, Moosie! :wink:

Seriously, I know what you mean, but I am certain that meeting Enid wouldn't have been a disappointment.
Society Member
jen
Favourite book/series: Secret Island
Favourite character: Jack or Phillip from Adventure

Post by jen »

*looks round for lynch mob*

Didn't I read in a paper or something that she wasn't a terribly "hands-on" mother? I might be wrong but if that was the case the I wouldn't want to meet her - when I was little I used to wish I was one of her children and I don't want to shatter my own illusions iykwim
A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water
Anna Moss

Re: meeting enid?

Post by Anna Moss »

Kirrin wrote:has anyone been lucky enough to have met enid? if you could would you or would you be scared?
I'd be jolly scared
I'd probobly scream if she said one single word to me!
vonhugh-Gabrielle
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers/Malory Towers/Six Bad Boys/Adventures

Post by vonhugh-Gabrielle »

I really like to meet her in person if I could.

But then I am sure I will be so tongue-tied!

Anyway it will be so good if I could get to take a photo with her and have her signature on it.

:)
Three cheers to Enid Blyton for her books!
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

I would like to meet Enid, and I am pretty certain that it won't be a disappointment.

Though I sometimes doubt this fact. :?

Society Member
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

It is often a disappointment to meet a famous person. It can easily shatter your illusions, too. Agatha Christie hated meeting people. She used to say one of the reasons she became a writer was to avoid the public!
Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Ming wrote:I would like to meet Enid, and I am pretty certain that it won't be a disappointment.

Though I sometimes doubt this fact. :?
Hey - but I always thought that she loved children. :roll: :| :?
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

I love Chicken Madras, but I don't want to meet a load of chickens... :?
Society Member
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

But then - I did read that Enid got thousands of letters each year and in fact she replied to them all. So, she must be a most friendly and loving woman indeed.

I would have loved to met her.
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

If I'd had the opportunity of meeting Enid Blyton, I wouldn't have been able to resist! However, while she built up a real rapport with her fans - especially in letters, where she could keep at some distance from them - Enid Blyton wasn't always as warm towards her own children as one might imagine. Her younger daughter Imogen in particular speaks of her emotional coldness. Enid's relationship with her own mother had been difficult, and at some point Enid broke ties with her mother completely. She did a similar thing with first husband Hugh Pollock after their divorce, denying him access to daughters Gillian and Imogen and making it look in her autobiography as if her second husband, Kenneth, was the girls' father. She also had a vengeful streak, taking revenge on a number of real-life acquaintances by featuring them as "baddies" in her stories. Having said all that, it's undeniable that Enid Blyton has done a huge amount of good for children, encouraging them to do their best and do their bit for society. She has undoubtedly been a positive influence on many young lives. The best of her is to be found in her stories, where we see her promoting courage, justice, loyalty, kindliness and honesty, and in her magazines, through which she raised an enormous amount of money for charities which helped children and animals. She was a complex character, difficult to fathom. I'd still like to have met her and asked her about her favourite books and characters, her garden and things like that, but I'd have avoided asking, "And how are the family?"!

Enid Blyton has been an inspiration and a big part of my life. Like everyone, she had both positive and negative qualities and we can admire what she achieved while at the same time acknowledging and accepting that she wasn't superhuman.

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I would loved to have met Enid also. She was part of my childhood and I lived inside her books. But I do have to agree with Anita's posting. I have the book, by Imogen, A Childhood at Greenhedges, and felt saddened when I read it. Such an insecure lonely child.
But her mother was a brilliant writer and children all over the world adored her and still read her books.
8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
vonhugh-Gabrielle
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers/Malory Towers/Six Bad Boys/Adventures

Post by vonhugh-Gabrielle »

For me, how she lived had nothing to do with her ingenuity in writing children stories; if she was nominated as the perfect mother, then how she treated her family will be important.

Everyone has good marks and bad marks in his/ her life, and there is no exception at all, not even Enid Blyton, right?

I just hope to meet Enid Blyton, my favourite children-story author, my idol.

And that's all.
Three cheers to Enid Blyton for her books!