Enid and spirituality/ESP

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
manzanita
Favourite book/series: Five Find Outers, Barney, Secret and Adventure!

Enid and spirituality/ESP

Post by manzanita »

Did she in later life become more into spirituality and things like ESP?

I ask because I finished "Mystery of The Strange Ruby" and Tessa has a "feeling" and I remember another character elsewhere also having a "feeling". It seems to me that in her books, characters who have "feeling" are generally sat upon for being so ridiculous, yet in "Ruby" at least, Tessa isn't.

Manzy
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Re: Enid and spirituality/ESP

Post by Almas »

Whats ESP? :?
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
Kitty
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers/Malory Towers
Favourite character: Alicia, Fatty, Gwendoline

Post by Kitty »

Hasn't Bets got a sort of "connection" with Fatty that more or less saves him from a nasty fate in a couple of the FFOs? (A bit like Jane Eyre's for Rochester! :D :shock: :D )
Gwendoline lay down, angry. She determined to make herself miserable and cry.
RDMorrell
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Secret Seven, Adventure
Favourite character: Anne

Post by RDMorrell »

Almas wrote:Whats ESP? :?
Extra-Sensory Perception. It's kind of the proverbial "sixth sense". Essentially means having psychic powers - ability to predict the future, read minds, see into the spiritual realm, that sort of thing.
Best Regards

ROWAN M.

A room without books is like a body without a soul - Cicero
Almas
Favourite book/series: Six Bad Boys/Adventure/Famous Five/ Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty (I have a crush on him!!)

Post by Almas »

Thanks Rowan!
Books are the quietest and most constant of friends; they are the most accessible and wisest of counselors, and the most patient of teachers.

When once the itch of literature comes over a man, nothing can cure it but the scratching of a pen.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

In Gillian Baverstock Remembers we read that Enid stated;
'The book I loved best as a young child . . . was
The Princess and The Goblin by George Macdonald. It wasn't so much the story as the strange "feel" of the tale, the"atmosphere" ... It hung over me for a very long time, and gave me pleasant shivers.'
I think the book that gave me the greatest 'shivers' was The Rockingdown Mystery'...especially when Barney & Miranda are alone in the old deserted house at night...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Kitty wrote:Hasn't Bets got a sort of "connection" with Fatty that more or less saves him from a nasty fate in a couple of the FFOs? (A bit like Jane Eyre's for Rochester! :D :shock: :D )
Yes, it appered in two books - The mystery of the Secret room and The Mystery of the missing necklace.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Nair Snehalatha

Post by Nair Snehalatha »

Some people do have a sixth sense.Enid Blyton must have had---definitely for someone with such a magnificent imagination some psychic power could be behind--- maybe a Guardian Angel. It is not only '' Rockingdown Mystery'' that gives shivers--- ''Ring-o-bells'' is not far behind.--- where Barney and Miranda sleep in ''Ring--o --bells'' hall and they both hear noises in the night.Rather eerie. :evil:
Nair Snehalatha

In many of Enid Blyton's books we read what she about certain houses that '' feel as if happy things have happened there'' It is there in ''The Family At Red-Roofs''. :D
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Enid was a fantastic storyteller. You can have a terrific imagination without there being any form of psychic powers! She was lucky to survive her childhood illness. But to think or suggest that she lived because of divine intervention is verging on the ridiculous. Life is a lottery, some survive, others fall by the wayside.
Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Some people seem to have intuition about how other people are feeling, or what they would like. Not sure I'd class that as ESP though, perhaps more a talent such as being able to draw or write music.

Enid Blyton seemed to instinctively know what would appeal to each age group she was writing for. However, her relationships in the real world appear to differ from those of the characters in her books. If she had really been psychic, she would have foreseen the hurt she caused her daughters by denying them access to their father. Similarly, she wouldn't have climbed a ladder or whatever it was she fell off, causing the loss of the much wanted son she was expecting.
Society Member
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

Enid was a good story teller with a fantastic imagination, but I don't think she needed ESP to write her books.

Lots of people have a 'feeling' if you like. I guess some one say it's your own common sense speaking to you.

Many say, oh what a lovely house, it has a great feeling etc. I think they mean they themselves like a house and could feel content and happy there.

Of course many also has ESP, it depends on what you believe in really. But I don't think ESP is needed for writing a book! :|

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

It's all rather beyond our powers to establish facts--- we can only speculate.Certain places give out pleasant vibes--- whereas others give you a kind of foreboding.--- In ''The Mystery Of The Hidden House''--,when the FindOuters see Harry's Folly'' they are filled with a sense of foreboding.Daisy even says ''I don't like this .Let's go back.''The Bourne Wood also looked sinister.This was also there in Ring-o-Bells' Mystery'' ''Rockingdown Mystery too.On the other hand there are pleasant places with happy vibes like ''The Happy House Family''. It was a happy house where there were happy memories--- as if the house was wanting its occupants to be happy. Enid Blyton is really a God--blessed writer--but ofcourse like all of us she too had her flaws--- which I would term '' insignificant'' considering the huge amount of lovely stories she wrote and each of them has a lesson to teach. :)
Julie2owlsdene
Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Post by Julie2owlsdene »

I wonder if you have read the book Famous Five a Personal Anecdotage, Snehalatha. You're ideas on certain things seem to be a mirror imagine of the author. :wink:

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Nair Snehalatha

No,--I have not read it --but would like to Julie--- I shall look for the thread.