Technique

Use this forum to discuss the author herself.
Belly

Technique

Post by Belly »

I have read with interest that Enid used to see her characters evolve in her mind's eye and wrote without conciously thinking of plot/characterisation etc.

I think this was a tremendous gift and maybe what leant her books that special brand of magic?

Is anyone aware of other children's authors that write in the same way?

Am I write in thinking Enid sat and wrote her books very quickly and with great enjoyment?

It seems today you would be much more constricted, having to think of publisher's wishes etc and writers can't have that kind of 'freedom' anymore?
Matthew Roberts
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers
Favourite character: Fatty and George

Re: Technique

Post by Matthew Roberts »

Belly wrote:Am I write in thinking Enid sat and wrote her books very quickly and with great enjoyment?
I read in one of the biographies that Enid could write a Famous Five book in four days, beginning on Monday and finishing on Thursday, leaving Friday free for golf with her husband!

I really think she must be one of the most prolific authors ever.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: Technique

Post by pete9012S »

I believe there are even writing schools were you you can go to learn how to write as a skill or craft...Enid's school teaching days surely gave her the best apprenticeship possible - with a real live instantly reactive audience...
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member