The Enid Blyton Society

A Letter from Eliane

A place to put children's fan letters to Enid Blyton

A Letter from Eliane

Postby Tony Summerfield » 04 May 2012, 10:49

Tony Summerfield

Re: A Letter from Eliane

Postby Julie2owlsdene » 04 May 2012, 12:46

Another lovely letter from Eliane, and with her own artwork too. If this is the kind of letter Enid got from her fans then every day must have been a joy for her to read them. I think they're so lovely that young children these days take the time to write to their favourite author.

I do hope the children can see their letters on this site. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Postby Daisy » 04 May 2012, 13:34

If the children have written these letters in school it may be that they are waiting for the postman to bring replies. Is there any way they can be directed to this site? All their questions could be answered and of course they would discover that Enid died many years ago. If she was still alive these two girls would have received personal answers - as I did when I wrote to her on 1950.
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Daisy

Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 04 May 2012, 13:39

A nice letter, Eliane, and it's great to see your pictures.

As I've just said in answer to Daisy's letter, Enid Blyton loved writing. Stories would flood into her mind so fast that it was hard for her fingers to type everything down quickly enough. She had a vivid imagination. Places she had seen, people she had met, things she had experienced and things she had heard or read would stay in her mind and suddenly pop up in a book she was writing - changed in some ways to fit the story but still recognisable.

Enid Blyton wasn't allowed to have a pet as a child, but when she was grown up she made up for that by keeping dogs, cats, fantail pigeons, goldfish, etc. One of her most famous dogs was a fox terrier called Bobs. Have you ever read Bimbo and Topsy? The cats and dogs in that book are named after pets belonging to Enid Blyton and the two girls are named after her daughters, Gillian and Imogen.

It's hard to say exactly how many Noddy books Enid Blyton wrote. There are 24 books in the main series beginning with Noddy Goes to Toyland, but there are also lots of board books, picture books and big books. Many more Noddy stories have been written by other authors in recent years.

Here is some more information about Noddy:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/noddy.php

When my sister and I were young, we wanted to solve mysteries like the Secret Seven so we started a club with our friends. We met in a shed, had passwords and badges and feasted on cakes and biscuits, but sadly we never solved any mysteries!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby Katharine » 04 May 2012, 13:41

I suspect the children have been doing a specific project on their favourite authors. I know my daughter did in junior school. At the time she was a big fan of the Worst Witch books and so that was the author she chose. She was a little disappointed not to get a reply, as some of her classmates got replies from their chosen authors. However she was thrilled when several months later Jill Murphy sent a handwritten letter apologising for the dely in replying, but she'd had a broken arm/wrist when she first received my daughter's letter.

I wonder if the teachers aren't aware that Enid Blyton is no longer here? It would be a shame in the girls just thought Enid couldn't be bothered to reply.

Daisy, do you still have your reply from Enid?
Society Member
Katharine

Postby Daisy » 04 May 2012, 14:27

I kept it for years Katharine and don't remember ever consciously throwing it out, but I haven't been able to find it, though I still hope I may come across it again. I can still remember part of what she said though! I'll tell you about it next Saturday.

Society Member
Daisy

Postby Tony Summerfield » 04 May 2012, 14:37

Daisy wrote:If the children have written these letters in school it may be that they are waiting for the postman to bring replies. Is there any way they can be directed to this site?

I did try with the early letters by contacting the school, but I had no response at all. We even left this section open so that the children themselves could respond if they wished without having to register and I made this clear to the schools. With these last two letters, the school has no website and no email address so I haven't been able to let them know. I realise that they would like a written reply, but there is a limit as to how much one person can do, and I think I have reached that limit. If the general consensus is that this section is pointless I will delete this section and go back to the way things were before.
Tony Summerfield

Postby Daisy » 04 May 2012, 14:39

Personally I think it is lovely to see these letters Tony. Who knows, these children may stumble across them too at some future date.

Society Member
Daisy

Postby Guest » 04 May 2012, 14:49

Daisy wrote:I kept it for years Katharine and don't remember ever consciously throwing it out, but I haven't been able to find it, though I still hope I may come across it again. I can still remember part of what she said though! I'll tell you about it next Saturday.

I shall look forward to that. :D

Tony, I don't think this section is pointless. Personally I like to read the enthusiastic comments, it's nice to know that Enid Blyton books are still enjoyed by the age group they were written for.

I know you will have the work of scanning the letters, but hopefully it's a lot less involved than replying directly to the school, and as Daisy says, the children themselves may discover this website sooner or later.

(Katharine)

Postby Eddie Muir » 04 May 2012, 17:56

It's lovely to read the letters from Eliane and Daisy, but surely the teachers at Maney Hill Primary School must know that Enid Blyton is no longer alive.

As far as responding to the letters, I agree that there is a limit as to how much one person can do, Tony. You are to be applauded for all the hard work you do for the Society and for keeping the name of Enid Blyton alive. As your replies to the two girls are absolutely splendid, Anita, I wonder if you would consider printing them and forwarding them to the school. Just a thought. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Postby Ming » 04 May 2012, 18:05

Eddie Muir wrote: As your replies to the two girls are absolutely splendid, Anita, I wonder if you would consider printing them and forwarding them to the school. Just a thought. :D

I was thinking that too - but it would mean a lot of extra work for Anita. Perhaps some of the other UK members can help as well?

I love the 'Secret Seven character'!

Society Member
Ming

Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Postby Fiona1986 » 04 May 2012, 20:14

I wouldn't mind taking turns in writing to schools in response to letters here.
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Fiona1986

Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Postby Anita Bensoussane » 04 May 2012, 20:23

Thanks, Fiona. I'm afraid I wouldn't have time myself, on top of what I already do. I find it quick and easy to reply on the forums but having to write replies by hand or type them and print them off, and then address envelopes and post them, would obviously take longer.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

Favourite book/series: Adventure Series and Family Books
Favourite character: Fatty, Jack Trent and Elizabeth Allen

Postby Eddie Muir » 04 May 2012, 22:18

I wasn't suggesting that you write replies by hand or type them out, Anita, as I know you have a lot to do. I thought maybe your forum replies could be copied and pasted on a blank sheet and then sent in one envelope to Eliane and Daisy at their school. :D
'Go down to the side-shows by the river this afternoon. I'll meet you somewhere in disguise. Bet you won't know me!' wrote Fatty.

Society Member
Eddie Muir

Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers and Dog
Favourite character: Fatty

Postby Julie2owlsdene » 05 May 2012, 08:52

Yes, I'd certainly be happy to print out any replies Anita and forward them to the school, I think I have said to Tony in a private email, I'd help out that way if needed, so that the children would get some sort of reply to their letters. :D

8)
Julian gave an exclamation and nudged George.
"See that? It's the black Bentley again. KMF 102!"

Society Member
Julie2owlsdene

Favourite book/series: F.F. and Mystery Series - Five get into Trouble
Favourite character: Dick

Next

Return to Letters from Children