Famous Five TV Series 2023 - 2024, BBC

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Splodj

Famous Five TV Series 2023 - 2024, BBC

Post by Splodj »

3 x 90 minute episodes produced by Nicolas Winding Refn.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/j ... or-the-bbc
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Re: Famous Five adaptation on BBC

Post by Boatbuilder »

They should be interesting to watch. I am curious to see in which era they are set - 'then' or 'now'. I hope they are 'then'. :D

Thanks for posting that Splodj.
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Thanks for letting us know, Splodj. I'm always curious about adaptations, even though some of them turn out not to be my cup of tea.

Edit: There's another article in The Guardian on the same theme, this time by Stuart Heritage. The Enid Blyton Society forums are mentioned in the opening paragraph:
There is a thread on the Enid Blyton Society’s online forum, in which various members of the society attempt to explain the appeal of the Famous Five books. For the most part, they do a wonderful job, pointing out the spirit of adventure that runs through them, the complexity of George, the moral clarity of the characters and the sense of escapism that must have seemed even more abundant when they were read during the bleak postwar years. The books, the thread claims, are good clean old-fashioned wholesome fun.

But what of the rest of us? The readers who aren’t members of the Enid Blyton Society, who aren’t automatically predisposed to love the Famous Five books?
https://www.theguardian.com/film/2023/j ... nid-blyton
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Bertie
Favourite book/series: Five Find-Outers, Famous Five.
Favourite character: Fatty & Buster, George & Timmy.

Post by Bertie »

My first thought before reading the article was: Hmm, I imagine it's going to be very 21st century, another show pushing modern views / values, rather than a lovely and accurate portrayal of Enid's world in the time that she wrote it and it's set in.

Then I read the first link. And Nicolas Winding Refn saying, “By reimagining the Famous Five, I am preserving that notion by bringing these iconic stories to life for a progressive new audience" was pretty much the stuff I was expecting to see. And the buzzwords 'progressive new audience' didn't escape my notice.

Then I read Anita's link, and pleased to see the article also focused on the two very clear signs of what it's likely to be: 'reimagining' and 'progressive'. Like so many things nowadays, they can't just cater for those with nostalgia who enjoy watching something lovely but 'old fashioned'. Everything has to be changed to make it more 'diverse / inclusive' and to reflect modern times. Why? There's plenty of different markets, why can't some things still be aimed at people who just want the Famous Five to still reflect Enid's Famous Five?

But I'll still give the first one a go and hopefully I'll be pleasantly surprised.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

Well, after cringing at the original article, I just read the one Anita posted too, and was yelping with laughter on several occasions... thank goodness I'm not the only one who isn't exactly comfortable with the thought of this particular kind of director "reimagining" the Famous Five for a "progressive new audience"!!! :shock: :shock: :shock: And very sporting of the Grauniad to print an article by someone who's actually questioning the current fad for "reimagining" everything to suit "progressive" modern tastes. I was expecting it to be a rant on just why this is so necessary and why today's audiences cannot possibly afford to be exposed to the culture and values of an era slightly earlier than the current one. :roll:

I don't have high hopes so far for this new production, but as others have said here, we won't know what it's like till we see it and we may indeed be pleasantly surprised. And hey, it's also very sporting of the BBC to agree to show an Enid Blyton adaptation at all. They conveniently aren't mentioning that for decades and decades, including during Enid's own lifetime, it was official BBC policy to refuse to make or support any TV adaptations of any Enid Blyton stories, because they considered her work to be a dumbing-down influence on children. (I can't remember the exact quote or where to find it, but there's definitely a statement on record from a BBC official as to what they thought of Enid.) The first Enid Blyton series on TV didn't come along until ITV was founded in 1956 and one of their first programmes was an adaptation of Noddy!! Which shows that they, at least, had good taste and good sense and knew what young audiences really wanted. :wink:
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

The Times reports that the original period setting will be retained, and that it is likely a diverse range of children will star.

The article also makes reference to the BBC adaptation of Malory Towers, which similarly retained the period setting and had a more diverse range of children than the original books.
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Thanks Rob.

Not sure about this - I will wait for feedback before I consider watching.
I still haven't watched the 1970's tv series, so maybe I'll watch that first if this is no good!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

I found about the new adaptation this morning and I must say I'm not overly pleased at the thought :roll: The statement that it will be "reimagined" and catered for "progressive new audience" really sends chills down my spine. I do wish they could adapt Blyton's books just as she wrote them, without having to make so many unnecessary changes and without having to make them reflect "modern times". But I guess I'll have to see how it turns out before jumping to conclusions. :lol:
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member
Debbie
Favourite book/series: Adventure Series
Favourite character: Anne

Post by Debbie »

I think if you reimagine them to be modern you will take away the charm and might as well make a new set of stories about a set of children who solve mysteries without trying to piggy back on the fame of the Famous Five and EB.

You'd have to add smart phones for example, which would totally change many of the stories.

As you perhaps can tell, I'm not a fan of that sort of thing.
Viking Star
Favourite book/series: Mystery, Adventure and Secret series.
Favourite character: Fatty, Mrs Hilton and Philip

Post by Viking Star »

It will be in its period setting Debbie
This is a Green Knight Book which means that it is a book by one of the most popular authors of all.
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

i wonder if the the publication of the Famous Five Graphic novels inspired them for the re-imagined adaption...
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Moonraker

Post by Moonraker »

Nicolas Winding Refn, the maverick Danish director known for his dramatically stylish and visceral way with sex and violence, is to adapt Enid Blyton’s Famous Five books for the BBC.
I'm not holding my breath in excited anticipation.
Machupicchu14 wrote:I do wish they could adapt Blyton's books just as she wrote them, without having to make so many unnecessary changes and without having to make them reflect "modern times".
Hear, hear.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

Yes, I'm not expecting much with this Nigel.

How I still long for a Five Find-Outers TV adaptation, set in the 1940's & 50's, staying totally faithful to the original books.

Will I ever live to see that?....

There's more chance of Nigel coming over to the dark side and becoming a Betty Maxey admirer!!
:cry: :D
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

I've just read a couple of articles about the new series, and think I will be avoiding it. Apart from the obvious phrases such as 'reimagined', there were comments about it being 5 youngsters - so will they even be siblings/cousins? And interestingly, the article in HELLO showed a copy of 'Fump Freunde' - so will the TV programmes be an adaptation of a translated version??

I snorted when I read someone's comment about it being an opportunity for bringing families together to watch it - if it's anything like Malory Towers, I won't be anywhere within earshot when it's on.
Society Member
Machupicchu14
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five/The Naughtiest Girl
Favourite character: George Kirrin/ Elizabeth Allen

Post by Machupicchu14 »

pete9012S wrote: 28 Jun 2023, 10:00
How I still long for a Five Find-Outers TV adaptation, set in the 1940's & 50's, staying totally faithful to the original books.

Will I ever live to see that?....

Same here! I've always dreamed of those stories being adapted to TV although I'm not sure that with the whole trend of modern audiences and reimagining books I'd want to see one made at all. But if it was as you describe it, then it would definitely be a treat! :D
"All, everything that I understand, I understand only because I love."
(все, что я понимаю, я понимаю только потому, что люблю)
Lev Tolstoy

You can call me Machupicchu14 or María Esther

Society Member