70s Famous Five on …. BritBox

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

70s Famous Five on …. BritBox

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Well there I was wasting time on Twitter when I read a re-tweet from Gary Russell … both series of 1970s Famous Five are coming to BritBox from mid July. Rejoice!

If you’ve never watched it, now is the time. If you’ve previously professed to not enjoying the 1970s/80s modern feel at all, there’s two or three weeks to repent. :twisted: 8)

Ha ha, whatever your taste, good to have Blyton on our screens, and I wonder what today’s young uns will make of it.

On a sad note, the ‘old school’ library the show will be a part of is not available in Oz … I’ve sent them a message of course. I want to see my favourite ready to stream …
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Re: 70s Famous Five on …. BritBox

Post by pete9012S »

Many thanks - I never watched the series back in the day.

Everyone was surprised, but I was stuck in the books.
I will take a good look at the series with fresh eyes.
I will really enjoy seeing the locations too as I love the thread here on the forums about all the filming locations.

Regards

Pete
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Sounds good, unfortunately I don't have access to Britbox. :(
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I think you can get a free 30 day trial Katharine - if that's any help.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder

Pete, that's great,

Completely understand. We all had different times back in the day and did Blyton our own way.

Whether you love or no, fine by me ... couldn't resist a stir. But I'm glad you'll have a look; what was modern in the late 70s now has its own 'period' feel I suppose.

Depends on when and where you were when you read your Blytons back in the day ... all my books had the 70s TV covers, and I have been interested to hear the differing opinions as to the illustrators as well.

Maybe Courtenay will have a look too!

We have Brit Box here in Aus Katherine; I've watched a few 'Good Life' ( used to have a kid crush on Felicity Kendall ) and some old favourites again, Yes Minister, Doctor Who ...

Unfortunately Australian content does not include the 'Old School' section. I really, really want to see how it is presented and see it under an ITV badge ... for old time's sake.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Funnily enough, although I didn't much like the 'modern' Betty Maxey illustrations, I don't recall having a problem with watching the 1970's TV series when it was on. Possibly thinking that Gary Russell was rather dishy helped sway my opinion. ;)

Interesting to hear about what is and isn't included in the Australian Britbox. I've seen it advertised over here, but most of the programmes I would be interested in I already have on DVD, including The Good Life and Yes Minister. I suppose Doctor Who might be good though, depending on the age of the episodes, as I would enjoy seeing those from the 1970's/80's again.
Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Katharine wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 09:44 Funnily enough, although I didn't much like the 'modern' Betty Maxey illustrations, I don't recall having a problem with watching the 1970's TV series when it was on. Possibly thinking that Gary Russell was rather dishy helped sway my opinion. ;)
I've always said Katharine is one of the most astute, sophisticated and insightful posters on here... :lol:
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Gary Russell wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 13:35
Katharine wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 09:44 Funnily enough, although I didn't much like the 'modern' Betty Maxey illustrations, I don't recall having a problem with watching the 1970's TV series when it was on. Possibly thinking that Gary Russell was rather dishy helped sway my opinion. ;)
I've always said Katharine is one of the most astute, sophisticated and insightful posters on here... :lol:
:oops: :oops: :D :D
Society Member
FiveFanDownunder

Thought you'd be pleased with that one Gary
Boatbuilder
Favourite book/series: Adventure, Famous 5, Secret Seven, Five Findouters

Post by Boatbuilder »

Katharine wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 14:20
Gary Russell wrote: 19 Jun 2021, 13:35
:oops: :oops: :D :D
Surely that proves that flattery will get you everywhere, Katharine :lol: :lol: :lol: ;)
"You can't change history as that won't change the future"

John's Pictures of Suffolk - https://suffolk-world.com/

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Hope it comes to britbox here in Canada (never mind how I'll get the channel)....!

======
In an unrelated note: one show we won't see on britbox is CORONATION STREET. The Canadian Broadcasting Corporation (CBC) holds the Canadian broadcasting rights to said programme.
Famous Five TV Fan
FiveFanDownunder

Hi Daanton,

There's a suggestions email at suggestions@britbox.com ... I'm encouraging everyone I talk to to ask for F5 to be added to the platform for non-UK, and hopefully the email will work for you in Canada too. Can't see why not.

Wonder if we can surprise them with the amount of Blyton/Famous Five interest they receive ...
DirtyDick
Favourite book/series: Famous Five, Five on a Hike Together

Post by DirtyDick »

It's now on Britbox, I'm watching Five on Kirrin Island right now :D :D
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

Isn't it Five on Kirren Island? ;-)
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
FiveFanDownunder

Ha ha Wolfgang

That spelling mistake will be with us forever. It is now part of the charm of the series I suppose.

Do you get any sort of BritBox available to you in Deutschland? I wondered if it was available, as the material would all be in English, but perhaps subtitled, or even dubbed if the series had previously been shown over there.

We can't get the 'Old School' and therefore F5 over here in Oz, worse luck. I have been busy asking for it!!

I contacted Karli Kolar, the hero of the DVD release, to see if he is aware of this. I imagine he would be, but since he had a major win getting the series onto DVD, I thought I should call in the big guns.

All the best friend!

And Dirty Dick, enjoy! No doubt you are a UK resident, or at least closer than I am?