Why has the Secret Seven never been adapted for film/TV

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
tiger76
Favourite book/series: Malory Towers
Favourite character: Anne Kirrin/Darrell Rivers

Why has the Secret Seven never been adapted for film/TV

Post by tiger76 »

My 1st ever thread on this forum.

This has always puzzled me, there's been adaptions of virtually all of Enid's other major works.

Adventure Series, Secret Series, Famous Five, St Claire's even the MFT/WC & now Malory Towers, and yet the Secret Seven is still neglected, I'd have thought they would have been amongst the easier works to bring to the screen, most of the action is set in the shed or has the Seven solving clues, (unless I'm completely mis-recalling the plots) and apart from the Seven, Susan and Binkie, you wouldn't need a huge regular cast.

I'd have thought that these books would be ideal for say a 25 minute episode on one of the children's channels, or even the BBC or ITV in their afternoon slot.
Last edited by tiger76 on 03 Sep 2020, 00:37, edited 1 time in total.
Did midnight feasts really exist?
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Re: Why has the Secret Seven never been adapted for film/TV

Post by Gary Russell »

At a guess it would by hugely expensive - more so than any other Blyton series. Seven human kids all under 16 (massive cost in both salaries and limited hours per day allowed to film, plus chaperones and - if filmed during term time - tutors), plus a dog, plus Susan and Binkie (at least). If you adapt the stories - not even faithfully but at least in spirit - you're looking at a new set up and location per episode (so no reuseable sets/locations to save money each week), all made out on location rather than inside a studio. You're looking at spending millions in set-up costs even before you even start shooting.
Jack400
Favourite book/series: Famous Five / Five Find-Outers

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks for the explanation, Gary. I wonder what it would cost to do an animated version. Would this be cheaper? It would certainly do away with tutors, chaperones and any Health and Safety concerns? Though animation- if it's realistic- would not be cheap- but, would perhaps be easier during 'social isolating' times.
Society Member
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

I notice Jack400 has mentioned and also echoed a few of my thoughts whilst I have been typing this:

A great thread. And good financial overview from Gary.

Just been watching a doc about Auf Wiedersehen Pet. They said they actually filmed in a real builders hut on location.

It would be great to see a faithful Secret Seven adaptation, or even a well constructed cartoon version.
Or a one off film.
Somehow, I think in this modern age we may have missed the boat now with things like this which is a pity.

Imagine trying to get 1954's shed firework debacle past today's health and safety regs!

Would love to see The Secret Seven adapted faithfully nonetheless tiger76!
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Yes, not much chance of that, Pete! To be honest the SS would not be high on my list of books to film. And the H&S aspect would pretty much kill several (many?) of them.
Society Member
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Jack400 wrote:Thanks for the explanation, Gary. I wonder what it would cost to do an animated version. Would this be cheaper? It would certainly do away with tutors, chaperones and any Health and Safety concerns? Though animation- if it's realistic- would not be cheap- but, would perhaps be easier during 'social isolating' times.
By "realistic" I'm guessing you're thinking 2D rather than 3D. Humans and accurate movement have yet, in my opinion, to be successfully portrayed in 3D. A lot of PS4 games get close but then they spend millions on 30 seconds of cut-scene.

So we're looking 2D :D

I look at something like those recent GWR Famous Five animated ads as a guide. That's stunning work, all rotoscoped then drawn over. And sooooo beautiful. So you're looking at paying bodies/actors to make the moves before animators come in.

OR you go traditional straight-forward 2D (Batman style) so it's about £150-200k per 25 mins (assuming you farm out your animation overseas to India or Asia - do it in Europe or America and your costs shoots back up - and no, as I'm finding out at the mo, Covid is making animation studio work a gazillion times harder than any live action would be.

And yes, you'd still be factoring in chaperones and tutors if you a) used actual kids to voice them and b) did it during non-holidays. You could of course cast adults (most cartoons do so) to play the kids, which negates that problem but often ends up with heightened performances as adults "play down" as kids. Works fine in comedy, less so in straight animated dramas.

Basically, the quick answer is "no, animation is not really cheaper" because although your cost per 25 mins may come down in some quarters, it rockets back up when you factor in the fact that 13 x 25 mins of live action takes maybe four months max to shoot, 13 x 25 animation may take you 2-3 years. So it's all swings and roundabouts.

TV is bloody expensive no matter what format you choose :lol:
Last edited by Gary Russell on 03 Sep 2020, 11:46, edited 1 time in total.
Jack400

Post by Jack400 »

Thanks for the detailed explanation, Gary. It seems there's no easy/cheap/Covid friendly answer. Probably why those that do this for a living haven't found it! :lol:
Society Member