Fünf Freunde: Im Tal der Dinosaurier

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Re: Fünf Freunde: Im Tal der Dinosaurier

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

That's an interesting discussion, sounds and pronunciation something I hadn't thought a lot about.

I have had a quick chat recently with some French fans of the 78 series and ( in line with the books I am sure ) an coming up to speed with the different names used for characters and places.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

In the German books I had as child (I don't know if it has been changed in newer editions like with the FFOs) the names were similar, though I always pronounced them the German way.
Julian -> Julius (don't ask me why - Julian is a German name too and I actually know more people called Julian than people named Julius)
Richard -> Richard (not Dick, probably because the adjective "dick" means "fat" - that's why Fatty was called Dicki in the older German FFO editions)
Anne -> Anne
Georgina/George -> Georgina/Georg

So it was quite easy to adapt to the English names of the Famous Five while I really struggled with the FFO that I knew as Dicki (Fatty), Rolf (Larry), Gina (Daisy), Betti (Bets) and Flipp (Pip).
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

The new translations of the FFO books (at the the beginning of this millenium) feature English names:
Pip, Betsy, Larry, Daisy, Dicky (maybe not so English) and Scotty
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Hannah

Post by Hannah »

I thought they kept the English names like they were. But I guess editors can't live without making at least some changes :roll:.
Do you know if the names in modern Famous Five translations are the same as in the old ones?
Society Member
Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

I only happen to have the "Happy Meal"-edition (2016) of "Fünf Freunde machen eine Entdeckung" (Five have a mystery to solve) as a modern edition, and it features Julian, Dick, Anne, Jullian and Timmy... maybe I should consider buying the whole bunch as it seems they editet quite some things compared to the edition of the 70/80s I own.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.