The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
FiveFanDownunder
Favourite book/series: The Famous Five
Favourite character: After forty years or so I still can’t decide.

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by FiveFanDownunder »

Hmmmm

Been looking at Hike very closely to try and learn more about the mysterious ruin that is used for interiors of ‘Two Trees’.

A little later on, the Five are tailing the baddies when Dick pops up from behind a bush and spits something out of his mouth …. a bug or cobweb perhaps?

I wonder whether this was a surprise or another of Gary’s little touches … the rest of the cast don’t miss a beat and the scene goes on. On the YouTube of Hike, this spot is at 14:55 …
Midnight-Visitor

Post by Midnight-Visitor »

The other day I had a look at the original airdates of the First and Second series episodes on the imdb.com.

It's interesting that approximately 1/3 of the Second series eps went to air in the latter part of 1978 directly after the First series had finished airing. The remainder of the Second series screened in the new year 1979.

One thing I thought was odd was "Five are together again" screened first in late 1978 before "Five go to Demons Rocks" aired in 1979. In a chronological sense of the books this is the complete wrong way around :o Also in terms of filming it's fairly obvious the 2 part Demons Rocks eps were filmed prior to Five are together again due to Marcus Harris' breaking voice.

Of course the info on the imdb.com might be incorrect? But after doing a bit of Googling a couple of other website displayed the same airdates.
FiveFanDownunder

I think you are right. I have heard it said that the series proved popular and it was decided to keep it coming for as long as possible. I suppose there wouldn't have been a lot of lead time to get those later stories on the air as they were filmed earlier in the same year??
FiveFanDownunder

One for the book cover / editions experts ...

Watching Famous Five ( what else ) in glorious Blu-Ray ... and sometimes in Deutsch too. :shock: Can't switch the subtitles off when watching in English but that is another Mystery to Solve for later.

The details I can see with the remastered discs are incredible. Not good when I was already obsessed with details.

In Kirrin Island, George is seen sulking in her room with a pile of books to one side. I suspected they were Famous Fives, but can now *just* read the spines ... Smugglers Top and Finniston Farm are there for sure.

Apologies, this photo is not from my DVD, I have my eye on a Blu Ray ROM for the computer for capturing stills. From there I will be lost for years ...

For summer 1977 there are a couple of choices for which edition these would be ... I am assuming they are all from a matching set but probably shouldn't. Any keen eyes recognise the edition from the spines? There looks to be two volumes that have a background colour, but most are white. I suspect a green square on the spine gives them away as Knight but would still like to hear from the knowledge trust! There's an orange ( I think Finniston ) and a blue/purple book ( Camp? ) on top. I can make out Kirrin Island Again, Smugglers and Adventuring Again underneath.

Wolfgang
Favourite book/series: The children at Green Meadows/Adventure-series
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Wolfgang »

FiveFanDownunder wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 01:48
Watching Famous Five ( what else ) in glorious Blu-Ray ... and sometimes in Deutsch too. :shock: Can't switch the subtitles off when watching in English but that is another Mystery to Solve for later.
It's not a bug, it's a feature. The German edition was released before the English edition, so the publisher decided to keep the subtitles on when watching the show in English to avoid people buying the German edition who wouldn't buy the English edition then.

I don't remember if it was explained in a thread of this forum or on the "Fünf Freunde Fanpage"... I seem to recall that someone suggested to use VLC media player which enabled to switch off subtitles.
Success is 10% inspiration and 90% perspiration.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I can't make out the titles but it makes my head spin to think of George owning Famous Five books - especially adventures which are yet to happen! :lol: I love the fact that someone decided to include them though! :D
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder

Wolfgang wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 05:46 It's not a bug, it's a feature. The German edition was released before the English edition, so the publisher decided to keep the subtitles on
Thanks Wolfgang. I'm not complaining; can't find an English Blu Ray anywhere. I'm learning a little German and the picture quality is miles better than anything I've seen. I also like the German version of the titles.
Anita Bensoussane wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 15:55 I can't make out the titles but it makes my head spin to think of George owning Famous Five books - especially adventures which are yet to happen! I love the fact that someone decided to include them though!
Quite funny isn't it Anita? I don't know if you ever saw that silly sci-fi parody Spaceballs, but there was an entire sequence where they played the video release of their own movie within the movie. I love that the books are there, and I am sorry that the picture I put up is off Youtube, where the clarity isn't as good.

Hang on, I've found this silly clip for you. I still find it funny ... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5drjr9PmTMA
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

It's a fun idea, though I hadn't heard of Spaceballs before.
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
daanton
Favourite book/series: FAMOUS FIVE
Favourite character: All the Five, but especially Anne.

Post by daanton »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: 03 Feb 2022, 14:01 ...I hadn't heard of Spaceballs before.
[link] That infamous America space opera parody film released in 1987, co-written, produced and directed by the legendary [almost immortal!] Mel Brooks, who also plays a dual role in it!

FiveFanDownunder wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 01:48 Image
I myself probably have my own copies of those books—if, of course, those are the FF books I'm thinking of: the photo covers and that promo line atop the books series title: "NOW ON TV"!

Unless.... these might look like pre-production versions, if there is such a thing. The production ones would also have the cast pictured on the back cover; on these there are none!
Famous Five TV Fan
FiveFanDownunder

The legendary John Hurt was also in Spaceballs, to play his part in a comic recreation of the iconic ‘chest burster’ scene from Alien at that seedy space-diner. He ordered the special for lunch. Too funny.

Daanton, you are right, no pictures of the TV cast on those Famous Fives. Must be late 60s / early 70s. There were Knights and another paperback edition I think.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

i'm pretty positive those are not FF books - no one would have been that meta back then, indeed that would have been frowned upon both by the producers and by the Blyton people. I think they are genuine school books, probably maths or science.
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

FiveFanDownunder wrote: 02 Feb 2022, 01:48
The details I can see with the remastered discs are incredible. Not good when I was already obsessed with details.

In Kirrin Island, George is seen sulking in her room with a pile of books to one side. I suspected they were Famous Fives, but can now *just* read the spines ... Smugglers Top and Finniston Farm are there for sure.
If only we could see a pic from your remastered disc FFDU - if possible.

Also, in the tv version is George besotted with cats? In the scene following this there are a number of cats on her bedroom windowsill.
" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member
FiveFanDownunder

pete9012S wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 13:40 If only we could see a pic from your remastered disc FFDU - if possible.

Also, in the tv version is George besotted with cats? In the scene following this there are a number of cats on her bedroom windowsill.
I will buy a Blu Ray USB drive soon Pete ... I hope to work around the subtitles on the English versions with that and also capture some much cleaner images. It was still not possible to read with full clarity but that was looking on my TV screen ... I am hoping that with the computer I can get a sharper pic.

As far as the cats go, I think all the decorating was done by the set dressers, and there were no references to George loving cats in and through the series. Plenty of lines about how great timmy is though. :D :D

School has started back here for 2022 so perhaps I shall have more play time for Blyton and Famous Five in the next few weeks.
FiveFanDownunder

Gary Russell wrote: 04 Feb 2022, 12:49 i'm pretty positive those are not FF books - no one would have been that meta back then, indeed that would have been frowned upon both by the producers and by the Blyton people. I think they are genuine school books, probably maths or science.
Oh sorry Gary I missed this. I'm pretty sure they are F5s, but you're right, it is a little unexpected, and I am just shy of beyond doubt on this. I will try my best for a better screen shot soon. I can confirm that the books move ever so slightly between the two shots with Michele at the window and then closer to camera, or a t least the book on the top of the pile ...

Speaking of school and science books, I have managed to pin down the book that Guy ( or was it his twin? ) was reading on the seat under the trees in Secret Trail ... about 'Birds'. So that is just as you thought Gary. Haven't been able to match the cover yet ;-)
pete9012S
Favourite book/series: Five On A Treasure Island
Favourite character: Frederick Algernon Trotteville

Post by pete9012S »

FiveFanDownunder wrote: 06 Feb 2022, 11:52 I am hoping that with the computer I can get a sharper pic.

As far as the cats go, I think all the decorating was done by the set dressers, and there were no references to George loving cats in and through the series. Plenty of lines about how great timmy is though. :D :D
Great news FFFDU

Yes, the cats do seem out of place in George's room:

" A kind heart always brings its own reward," said Mrs. Lee.
- The Christmas Tree Aeroplane -

Society Member