The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

Cor, well spotted, I might have to watch that tonight.... Just to verify you understand ;)
Image The definitive '78 series nut.
Yan

Post by Yan »

George@Kirrin wrote:Cor, well spotted, I might have to watch that tonight.... Just to verify you understand ;)
Hi George,

can you confirm? :wink:
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

I can confirm!

My Yan, what sharp eyes you have!
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Re: The 77/78 TV series: Little mistakes and special moments

Post by Gary Russell »

Yan wrote:
2. Grins in dangerous moments
In some scenes of the series, especially in moments when strange or dangerous things happen to the Famous Five, one of the 4 children cannot hide the inner fun. Especially Michele Gallagher quite often can be watched stifle her laughter.
For example in "Five go to Demon's Rocks", when Ebenezer and Jakob are caught in the secret passage, trying to tip the children off the platform. Marcus whispers: "If one of us got off they might just be strong enough to tip us off" and Gary answers "But sooner or later one of us has got to go for help!". Michele can't hide a grin at this moment. :wink:
Or in "Five go down to the sea": After Yan helped them out of the cave and led them on the rocks, they discuss about what to do. Gary says: "This is hopeless. We can't hide here forever" and Marcus answers. In this moment, Michele quickly turns to Gary with a heavy smile on her face, making him grin, too! :mrgreen:

:wink:
You have to understand that at the most inappropriate moments, Michele could make any of us giggle uncontrollably. And I was very, very bad at giggling. And not stopping. Much to everyone else's annoyance, I'm sure.
Keith Robinson
Site Administrator

Post by Keith Robinson »

Golly! Is this THE Gary Russell? Everyone, we're in the presence of royalty! :D

Great to see you here, Gary. Of course, we'll need proof that it's really YOU, so can you send us a thumb print or a mugshot with today's paper, or something like that? :)
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

I say, Dick, is that really you? If so, crack open a ginger-beer, help yourself to some shortbread from the tin on the shelf and take a look at this quiz, which I'm sure you'll find jolly easy: :wink:

http://www.enidblytonsociety.co.uk/foru ... .php?t=650

Anita
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Ming
Favourite book/series: Adventure/Mystery
Favourite character: Fatty, Bill Smugs, Kiki

Post by Ming »

Golly, IS this Gary? Can't believe it! I only saw a few of the series, but your acting was excellent! Is it you? Boy....... I can't believe it!

Society Member
Susie

Post by Susie »

STARSTRUCK!
There is always something else new to learn.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Gary Russell wrote: You have to understand that at the most inappropriate moments, Michele could make any of us giggle uncontrollably.
I'm sure she could. :wink:
I never met her (wished I had) but I think she was a funny girl and laughed a lot. Certainly, the crew was not amused about giggling but I love these scenes because they show some of the filming's atmosphere.

Welcome to this forum, Gary!
I hope you will tell us more about the 78 series from time to time.
:)
Last edited by Yan on 21 Mar 2007, 23:29, edited 2 times in total.
Susie

Post by Susie »

Yan wrote: Welcome to this forum, Gary!
I hope you will tell us more about the 78 series from time to time. :)
I second that,
8)
There is always something else new to learn.
Gary Russell
Favourite book/series: FF
Favourite character: well duh...

Post by Gary Russell »

Susie wrote:
Yan wrote: Welcome to this forum, Gary!
I hope you will tell us more about the 78 series from time to time. :)
I second that,
8)
I'll always happily *try* and answer questions posted here, but I'm not around that often to please don't take offence if it takes a while for me to respond.
Yan

Post by Yan »

Funny little detail from "go off to camp":
The scene when Anne turns around and sees the smoke from the train coming out of the earth is made with time lapse (because without, the smoke may have been too slow I think).
Last edited by Yan on 24 Mar 2007, 19:39, edited 1 time in total.
George@Kirrin

Post by George@Kirrin »

In Sea (and correct me if I'm wrong as I was listning to this today rather than watching it)

Yan says the pirates light could only be seen out at sea, but don't the 5 see it from the farmyard?
Yan

Post by Yan »

George@Kirrin wrote:In Sea (and correct me if I'm wrong as I was listning to this today rather than watching it)

Yan says the pirates light could only be seen out at sea, but don't the 5 see it from the farmyard?
Yes, they see it from the farm. In this regard Yan´s story is a little illogical.

But let me tell you a very nice little mistake in "Five fall into adventure" which was found by someone on the German fanpage (unfortunetly not by me :wink: ).

Towards the end when Julian, Dick and George enter the house to rescue Jo, they are heard by Jo who hides behind the door with a stick in her hand. In this moment Jo has got a sweater on. Then comes a close-up view in which Jo suddenly wears a jacket over her sweater. In this jacket she also leaves the house together with the other kids.
Petermax

Post by Petermax »

There's one scene in Five Get Into Trouble that always cracks me up. It is the sight of Timmy riding on the back of Georges bicycle sitting quite nonchalently on a specially constructed platform. How long did it take to train Toddy (his real name) to do that I wonder? I would love to see the outakes!

Having not actually read the FF books for some time I presume that Timmy accompanied the children on their cycling jaunts by running alongside. How cruel! At least that's how it is depicted in the 1996 series and also Five Go Mad in Dorset.