Blyton References on TV

Discuss the television and film adaptations of Enid Blyton's stories.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator
Favourite book/series: Adventure series, Six Cousins books, Six Bad Boys
Favourite character: Jack Trent, Fatty and Elizabeth Allen

Re: Blyton References on TV

Post by Anita Bensoussane »

Interesting snippets of information. I wish we could watch that episode of Hobby Horse!
"Heyho for a starry night and a heathery bed!" - Jack, The Secret Island.

"There is no bond like the bond of having read and liked the same books."
- E. Nesbit, The Wonderful Garden.

Society Member
Barnard
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers Series and Adventure Series.
Favourite character: Fatty

Post by Barnard »

Although I watched the whole series of Hobby Horse, after so many years I don’t remember any of the Enid Blyton questions. Like you, I would love to see the programmes. I hoped it might be available on youtube but no such luck.
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

On the BBC home service on Sunday the 2nd of March 1958, Enid Blyton made a charity appeal for The Friends of The Centre for Spastic Children. I would be interested to know whether Enid made many charity appeals and whether she was a generous charity donor herself.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

When she was writing Enid Blyton's Magazine in the 1950s, Enid Blyton encouraged her young readers to join various clubs and raise money for the Centre for Spastic Children, the Sunshine Homes for Blind Babies, the Busy Bees (the junior section of the PDSA) and a children's home in Beaconsfield. She felt that youngsters were particularly interested in helping other children and animals.

Enid herself became 'Queen Bee' of the Busy Bees in 1951 and she'd been on the committee of the children's home in Beaconsfield since 1948, visiting it regularly and attending monthly meetings. The royalties from her book Before I Go to Sleep went to the home and she became chairman of the committee in 1954, remaining in that position until the home closed in 1967.

Society Member
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

While browsing the RadioTimes archive I noticed a very early radio broadcast of an Enid Blyton story. On Saturday the 16th of May 1925 on a programme called Children’s Corner, ‘Bufo’s One-Legged Stool’ from Enid’s Bookof Fairies was read. I am wondering whether that was the first broadcast of one of her stories or does anyone know of anything earlier.
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

Just spotted another one in a documentary about the late Ken Dodd.

Someone was talking about Knotty Ash and the Diddy Men and how Ken had created a cosy, mythical world similar to Lewis Carroll and Enid Blyton.
Society Member
Courtenay
Favourite book/series: The Adventure Series, Galliano's Circus
Favourite character: Lotta

Post by Courtenay »

I just caught a Blyton reference on TV last night while serving a drink to one of our care home residents. She was watching a game show — I THINK it was Pointless (at least, Alexander Armstrong was the host) — in which the theme for the questions was magical items in children's books and one of them was a Titbit Dish in Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. :D (Actually, I'm pretty sure the dish in question is from The Wishing-Chair Again, but I think the first book's title was the one given on the screen. I definitely knew who the author was, though. :wink: )
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Daisy
Favourite book/series: Find-Outers, Adventure series.

Post by Daisy »

I saw that too, and immediately knew the answer. So did the lady who got a good score with it!
'Tis loving and giving that makes life worth living.

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Oh good. :D I didn't have time to wait and see how it ended!
Society Member

It was a nuisance. An adventure was one thing - but an adventure without anything to eat was quite another thing. That wouldn't do at all. (The Valley of Adventure)
Barnard

Post by Barnard »

There is a racehorse named Enid Blyton running currently in India. It has won its last three races at Mumbai.
Anita Bensoussane
Forum Administrator

It's interesting to hear of these references to Enid Blyton.
Courtenay wrote:I just caught a Blyton reference on TV last night while serving a drink to one of our care home residents. She was watching a game show — I THINK it was Pointless (at least, Alexander Armstrong was the host) — in which the theme for the questions was magical items in children's books and one of them was a Titbit Dish in Adventures of the Wishing-Chair. :D (Actually, I'm pretty sure the dish in question is from The Wishing-Chair Again, but I think the first book's title was the one given on the screen.)
At least it hasn't been renamed 'Tatbit Dish'!

Society Member
Courtenay

Post by Courtenay »

Anita Bensoussane wrote: At least it hasn't been renamed 'Tatbit Dish'!
:roll: :lol: :wink: Well, in America the equivalent word is "tidbit"... I'm never sure whether that's because American accents usually soften "t" sounds in the middle of words ("wodder" for "water", "innernational" for "international", etc.), or because someone saw the original British version of the word and was scandalised!! :P
Society Member

Fiona1986
Favourite book/series: Five Go to Smuggler's Top
Favourite character: Julian Kirrin

Post by Fiona1986 »

Turns out it's possible the Americans have this one right! It was originally tidbit or at least pronounced like that in Britain first and then changed to titbit for reasons that are unclear.

Tidbit or Titbit?
"It's the ash! It's falling!" yelled Julian, almost startling Dick out of his wits...
"Listen to its terrible groans and creaks!" yelled Julian, almost beside himself with impatience.

World of Blyton Blog

Society Member
Viv of Ginger Pop
Favourite character: LEAST liked - Wilfred (FF 20)

Post by Viv of Ginger Pop »

Having insomnia, I've been looking at the first ever edition of Radio Times, September 1923

8) or :?

It was surely the finest week for the South Shields Corporation Tramways Band!

The link is to the children's page, but use the arrows to scroll through

https://genome.ch.bbc.co.uk/page/d58cef ... d4?page=25" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Looking at the adverts for the various receiving sets, I felt that somewhere I've seen a Blyton poem called "Listening In".

Looking in the Cave it was published in November 1923, just 2 months after this Radio Times was published.

It's strange to think that Enid, age 26, was one of the first people to listen to the BBC!

Viv
The Ginger Pop Shop closed in Feb 2017
Katharine

Post by Katharine »

That's an interesting thought Viv.

I read that poem a while back and seem to recall they had to listen via hand held devices?

It hadn't occurred to me that radio had only just been invented when Enid wrote the poem. A quick Google informs me that the BBC launched national radio programmes just one year earlier, so she was pretty quick off the mark with her poem.

When I moved into my current house, I found some paperwork from the previous owner including some information from the mid 1920's about a 'build your own wireless' kit that they had purchased. How times change.

I've probably mentioned this before, there was also a half written letter about the owner's time as a pupil/teacher at the school where Enid did her teacher training, although she missed Enid being there by just a few years.
Society Member